- Veterans Hotline: United Way donations appreciated
- May 10, 2013
- I’d like to thank the following people for designating their contributions to the United Way campaign to Moffat County Veterans: Lance Hammond, Marty Jackson, Kirk Smith, Roy Meats, Jeff Winslow, Kristi Shepherd and Mason Siedschlaw.
- Veterans Hotline: Demand cause of delay with pending claims
- April 7, 2013
- Many veterans have claims pending for various issues.
- Veteran’s Hotline: New travel pay rules
- February 16, 2013
- Starting March 1, travel pay will be paid to your bank account on a direct deposit basis. The money will go into the same account as your compensation or pension pay. The procedure is as follows: The veteran completes the appointment, then goes to the travel clerk who processes the claim and confirms eligibility. The paperwork is then printed in the cashier cage. The cashier then inputs the information for the EFT (electronic fund transfer).
- Veterans Hotline: New Telehealth service offered
- January 10, 2013
- The Craig Telehealth Clinic is offering another service to our Veterans. It is called “Tele-Spiritual” with a pastor via the Denver VAMC. If anyone has an interest, please contact the Craig clinic to schedule an appointment at 970-824-6721. There will be brochures out in the near future. In October, the Social Security Administration announced that it would increase SSA benefits by 1.7 percent based on an increase in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers for the third quarter of 2012.
- Veterans Hotline: VA seeks to expand TBI benefits
- December 15, 2012
- Attn Military personnel returning from Iraq or Afghanistan: The Department of Veterans Affairs is publishing a proposed regulation in the Federal Register that would change its rules to add five diagnosable illnesses, which are secondary to service-connected Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) “We must always decide Veterans’ disability claims based on the best science available, and we will,” Secretary of veterans Affairs Erik K. Shinseki said. “Veterans who endure health problems deserve timely decisions based on solid evidence that ensure they receive benefits earned through their service to the country. VA proposes to add a new subsection to its adjudication regulation by revising 38 CFR 3.310 to state that if a Veteran who has a service-connected TBI also has one of the five illnesses, then the illness will be considered service connected as secondary to the TBI.
- Veterans Hotline: Deadline nears to apply for special ‘Stop Loss’ pay
- October 16, 2012
- The 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations Act established Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay (RSLSP), providing $500 for each month/partial month served in stop loss status. Service members, veterans, and beneficiaries of service members whose service was involuntarily extended under Stop Loss between Sept. 11, 2001 and Sept 30, 2009 are eligible for RSLSP. To receive this benefit, those who served under stop loss must submit a claim for the special pay. Throughout the year, the services have been reaching out to service members, veterans and their families through direct mail, veteran service organizations and the media. But there is still money left to be claimed, and the deadline is approaching. The average benefit it $3,700.
- Veterans Hotline: Small business workshop offered for veterans
- November 11, 2011
- There is a free workshop for small business owners who would like to know about getting certified for federal government contracting. This certification would be for the Small Business Administration’s 8(a) Program (socially and economically disadvantaged small business), Historically and Underutilized Zone (HUBZone) Program, and Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) Program.
- Veterans Hotline: State VFW officers to host benefits meeting in Craig
- November 5, 2011
- Veterans of Foreign Wars state veterans service officers will be hosting a town hall meeting from 4 to 7 p.m. Nov. 15 at the VFW in Craig, 419 E. Victory Way. All veterans are invited. The state officers will discuss veterans’ benefits. There will be a notice about this event in the Craig Daily Press at a later date.
- Veterans Hotline: Thanking a local business
- October 1, 2011
- On behalf of all veterans, I wish to thank Craig Ford for their help in finding and helping us purchase a newer van to transport veterans to Grand Junction. Jerry Thompson and Burl McMillen went above and beyond to help us get the best for our money and make sure the vehicle is in top condition for the many miles that will be put on it.
- Veterans Hotline: Moffat County has new veterans van
- September 24, 2011
- We now have the new veterans van. It is a 2006 Freestar and has low mileage. I know this van will last us a long time. If anyone is interested in driving veterans to Grand Junction periodically, contact me and I will give you the information and paperwork to fill out, and then put you on the driving list.