Bulldogs bite back in 2nd half of Moffat County soccer game with Roaring Fork
April 20, 2017
Thursday was a physical affair on the Moffat County High SchoolMoffat County High School soccer field, as the Bulldogs hosted the Roaring Fork Rams. soccer field, as the Bulldogs hosted the Roaring Fork Rams.Moffat County High School soccer field, as the Bulldogs hosted the Roaring Fork Rams.
The visitors from Carbondale finished with a 6-1 win against Moffat County, securing the lead in a 5-0 first half.
To the Bulldogs' credit, the remainder of the game was their shining point as they buckled down and gave the Rams a workout.
With seven shots on goal for the day, Bulldog Makenna Baker bounced one off Roaring Fork keeper Odalis Corcuera to hit the net and prevent the shutout early in the half.
The two teams skirmished to be first to the ball, and the boisterousness on both sides kept everyone guessing, though things got a little too rough when a collision between the Rams' Caroline Wisroth and Moffat County's Sarye Morgan resulted in Wisroth taken off the field nursing her knee.
"That second half was a positive, they started taking away those outside passes," said coach Harry Tripp. "At least they weren't always pressuring us, we had it back and forth."
In the MCHS box, Ebawnee Smercina was knocking down shots left and right, though Roaring Fork managed to get one more on the board with a plum location right in front of the goal for Emily Broadhurst.
Altogether, Camilla Wikum earned a hat trick, Lux Andrade scored two goals and one assist, Lucia Penzel had three assists and Broadhurst one assist.
"We did a really good job of exploiting the space on the wings, crossing it in and then finishing," said Rams coach Nick Forbes. "It was a bunch of good team goals."
The two schools each play the same opponent in their next game.
Moffat County — 2-9 overall, 0-5 in 3A Region 3 play — will host Aspen Saturday morning, and the Rams — 4-3-2 overall, 3-2 conference — will see the Skiers on the road Tuesday.
Contact Andy Bockelman at 970-875-1793 or Contact Andy Bockelman at 970-875-1793 or abockelman@CraigDailyPress.com or follow him on Twitter @CDP_Sports.Contact Andy Bockelman at 970-875-1793 or abockelman@CraigDailyPress.com or follow him on Twitter @CDP_Sports.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- 2017 Moffat County High School Track and Field Clint Wells Invitational
- 2017 Moffat County High School Girls Golf Bulldog Invitational
- Bulldog Sports for the Week of April 17, 2017
- Craig Middle School Track and Field’s Moffat County Night Relays
- Craig Middle School track finishes season with 12 new records
- Man who died in Yampa River identified as Steamboat Springs IT worker
- One down, one to go: Auction of Moffat County property results in one sale
- Missing eyebrow: On the record for May 19, 20
- Craig ready for a grand old time this weekend with Grand Old West Days
- Bear tries to break into doughnut delivery vehicle in Steamboat Springs