Do you believe changing locations of the Whittle the Wood Rendezvous from Craig City Park to Loudy-Simpson Park would be positive or negative for the community’s biggest annual event?

Correct: Positive 150 votes

36.23%

Correct: Negative 206 votes

49.76%

Correct: There would be no real difference. 58 votes

14.01%

414 total votes

Comments

Becky Plummer 2 years, 3 months ago

There is way more space to roam around and it would add sculptors to other parks without having to move them... I think this would be a win,win idea...

David Moore 2 years, 3 months ago

I think the move would be a positive one, except for the nearby businesses. My suggestion to those nearby that offer food or drink, become vendors out at Loudy and give some better food choices at a decent price. Don't know about anyone else but I grew tired of the $5.00 hamburger that consisted of a piece of meat and a bun, thankfully I have several friends who live close to the park so it is convenient for me to go to a BBQ and then stroll over to the park for the events, guaranteed parking in the least. I believe holding it at Loudy has several advantages: 1. Parking, two large lots and several smaller ones. 2. Way more room to spread out the events, carving and music. 3. Neighbors of the park no longer have to put up with traffic related to the event. I know it is an annual event and the sacrifice of the surrounding neighborhoods is minimal, but, I am all for it moving out of the park, it has grown larger than that piece of ground can handle. Another idea might be to use the site of the former country mall as parking and run a shuttle service, it is central enough that people could even walk there and catch a ride out. Just my two cents.......

oldglory 2 years, 3 months ago

Personally, I prefer the City Park. There is more shade to protect from sunburns of adults and children alike. The playground equipment is better. It's a great central location within walking distance to downtown. It has the feel of a community event. People tend to forget there is something going on if it's out of town. Out of sight, out of mind. I no longer attend the events that got moved to Wymans. I doubt I am the only one. I know the city is trying to shy away from using the City Park due to its conflict with the VFW, but moving traditional events isn't going to make them any more popular. And no, before anyone makes a comment about it, I am not a business owner. On an additional note, people aren't going to be paying more for police. They get paid the same salary no matter where they are and what they are doing. So the logic that it saves tax dollars fails.

Jon Pfeifer 2 years, 3 months ago

The problem with moving it to Loudy Simpson is that it would require the City to cooperate with the County. We've seen that the City doesn't play nice with anyone (even veterans). Would the city still pay for the band if the event occurred in the county? Would the county be willing to provide the extra law enforcement and staff to pull off the event? Would sponsors (who are business owners) support the event if it were held outside the city? There would be a lot of things to work through, and as we have learned, any time the city needs to "work things out" they degenerate.

David Moore 2 years, 3 months ago

Well then, there's always Woodbury. Plenty of parking, facilities and space to spread out. Unfortunately there are houses close by and they will have to put up with the same problems the folks next to the park do, but, it's inside city limits.

tselan 2 years, 3 months ago

I would guess that this "move" is coming around because of who getts to sell alcohol at this event. last year the only vendor was jw snacks even though the VFW owns the park where the event takes place.I ask my self why? the answer is simple, the kick back the city got. It is sad to see that what was once a community event is being changed so that a few good old boys can profit off it. I would like to know how moving it benefits the people of Craig? the many people that use to walk to the park. they will be forced to drive. that will decrease attendance. then you have the people that do drive leaving after sitting in the sun drinking all day. that will increase the danger factor and DUI revenue . I have always enjoyed the event but last year was harassed by the police at a party around the park, cops checking id's on private property. After living in Craig for thirty eight years this is the only event that ever made Craig seem like a community. it would be a shame to move it and take that away. i believe by doing this you would con-dim it to a slow death. It is my opinion it should go back to the way it was. people should bring their own liqour

tselan 2 years, 3 months ago

i don't know why it formated that way, sorry. it didn't print the entire comment either, odd

valleylocal 2 years, 3 months ago

tselan and eveyone else, 1st-JW Snacks was not the liquor vendor last year...two local non-profit organizations (who joined forces) were. The winning bidder had nothing to do with the "good old boys", they received the bid because they met the criteria setout by the City and State. Also, its the City's call to move the event, not the vendors. 2nd-The City of Craig had open bids on the liquor sales and only two organizations placed bids. There was certain criterias that had to be met by the bidders (T.I.P.S certified servers, liquor liability insurance, and people power, just to name a few). 3rd-The Police department checking ID's on private property isn't harassment. Private property or not, you must be at least 21 years of age, carry valid proof of ID, and not be on parole or probation in order to drink legally.

These are just some basic facts...some commonsense and a little research goes along way. See ya at Whittle the Wood!!!

kp81625 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree that this is probably going to move to Loudy Simpson Park and if I had to guess, I would say because of the non agreement between the city and the vfw. What a shame...one of the things I love about Whittle the Wood is that it is right in town. Not out at Wyman Museum, not out at Loudy Simpson, right where it should be, in town. The park has shade and is right by the creek and the playground. I have always loved attending this event and will have to think twice about going if it is moved. I am a citizen of Craig and not a business owner. I have loved being able to tell my grandchildren about how this started and showing them the previous years' sculptures. The small town feel of this event has drawn me to it time and again.

tselan 2 years, 3 months ago

valley local, do you really think the police have the right to come on private property and check ID's? You are right you are suppose to have one while in public but to be checked while at a bbq on private property, thats harassment. I think they are required to get a search warrant before invading your private property.Thats how it used to be in a free Country. you refer to the parrot heads as the non profit, did not no hey had a liquor lic. to sell booze. It does not change the facts they would not allow the VFW to sell on there own land. I am sure they meet your requirement or would have given time. which i don't think they where.I would be all for just saying no booze at all. It would be better than seeing everyone sneaking it in. I seen lots of people there with there little bottles there last year. then i had to pick them up out of my parents yard the next day. I must say it is the event craig ever puts on i have enjoyed it and will miss it.As you say a little research go's along way.

tselan 2 years, 3 months ago

sorry ranger, i don't type very well. then being where i am at the inter-net flashes in and out some times loosing letters ,words even whole lines of text. couple that with my dyslexia it makes it hard at times. I did figure you got the jist of what i was saying. I realize we all have are pet peeves, mine is people that feel they need to correct others . What ever makes you feel better about your self is all good by me. I would try harder for you but being criticized by some one that isn't willing to even put there name on the board means very little. Have a nice day peace to you and yours