What is your stance on gun control?

Correct: I oppose it in any form. 335 votes

64.92%

Correct: I oppose a total ban on guns, but am open to restricting access to certain types of guns. 159 votes

30.81%

Correct: I support a national ban on guns. 22 votes

4.26%

516 total votes

Comments

oldman1 1 year, 11 months ago

I do not support a blanket gun control law. I believe that guns are an important part of our culture. Used for hundreds of years to protect our country and put food on our tables. I do, however, question why an average citizen would want a hand gun or firearm that would put the same weapons our law enforcement use to shame. I cannot understand why someone would need a full automatic weapon in personal armory. I am an honorable discharged desert storm vet. I qualified expert on my side arm and my rifle, as well as being a decorated gunner on an M1-A1 tank. So I do understand the place these weapons have. So can someone please tell me the importance of these battle weapons that some people own for their pesonal use?

Jon Pfeifer 1 year, 11 months ago

Oldman, I personally agree with you. However, I do understand the other point of view. If the second amendment has at its core the goal of making sure the people can defend themselves from violence instigated by the government, then if the government were to attack the people, the people (i.e., private citizens) should be armed with the same or better weapons in order to defend themselves. It is a radical idea, but our founders were radicals and had just defeated a government they saw as evil.

oldman1 1 year, 11 months ago

Its a shame that the criminals have better access to the high power assault type weapons than our law enforcement. I have family in law enforcement and they have told me that on several occations they have been out gunned. And the only way they were able to defeat the felon is because of there sheer numbers and coordination. If there had been several well trained gunman it would have been a masacre. I guess that i feel the gun control should cover hand guns and assault weapons. Not hunting rifles and shotguns or archery.

GreyStone 1 year, 11 months ago

New laws will not curtail these psychotic killers from venting their frustrations on innocent victims. Laws are for politicians and law abiding people…not law breakers. A person in this state of mind is not inclined to pay any attention to a law they will move on to another wepon, Gas, Explosives or something even more destructive.

Passing laws prohibiting the consumption of alcohol was a fruitless attempt to keep people from the evils of alcohol…how did that work out.

Politicians love to pass laws for people to ignore…new gun laws will only drive up the price of guns and promote a new black market for these guns.

Controle of nut cases might be a first step.

GreyStone 1 year, 11 months ago

Nutcase kills two firefighters in N.Y. was convicted of manslaughter in 1981 for beating his 92-year-old grandmother with a hammer, was released from prison in 1998. Gun control nuts weren’t outraged at the monster who carried out the shootings. No, they were outraged at the NRA. Looks like we need more prisons, not gun laws. Nuts like these do not follow any law...not even the ten comandments.

oldman1 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree Greystone. Take away guns, they will use knives. Take away kives they use explosives. Man was using rocks and sticks in the beginning. I think we should look at better mental health programs. Maybe mandating that medications for mental health patients be more affordable or even free to the ones who cant afford them. I mean I have never heard of a person with normal mental health ever killing several people just because they were angree at their mother or something.

GreyStone 1 year, 11 months ago

Also there must be something terribly wrong when this guy gets out of prison after killing his Grand mother with a hammer when the death penalty was more appropriate. This is a reflection on our justice system, NOT more gun control.

dennis collins 1 year, 11 months ago

society created this problem. how many of us can remember these mass killings happening 50 years ago. a few over 50 years maybe, but not like now. we allow our kids to thumb their noses at society and tell them its "their right" we furnish video games that turn them into mindless, numb, killers with no remorse, and no realization of the sanctity of life, after all, just reset the game and all the dead guys come back. we tell them that if an unwanted pregnancy cause a problem finishing school, why, heck ! go get an abortion ! we bombard them with vicious bloody television programs and then say that it won't effect them. if t.v. has no effect, why would companies spend billions in advertizing on t.v. ?

i own a bushmaster AR-15 and i can tell you that i agree, there is probably no real reason to own one. its the best coyote gun i ever had, but a 223 bolt action would work too. and i am a viet nam veteran and former police officer, well trained in its use. need one ? no ! but i have a corvette that will go 190 mph ! need it ? of course not, but they are both fun to own. will i use my AR-15 to go hurt folks ? never ! but then i hadn't figured on running anyone down with the car either.

how do we control all this ? we don't ! ask anyone who has been the victim of one of these sensless shootings, its the price you pay for a free and open society. you can help by supporting your local police and sheriff depts. see to it they have the tools to do the job.

this government needs to concentrate on getting the economy kickstarted and stop all the knee jerking over sensless killings, thats tim jantz's job. thats law enforcements job. most cops support you owning your guns. but, like i said, do you really need an assault weapon ? i have in my police career been in the position of having someone banging away at me with a 44 magnum revolver, i didn't care if it was a pistol, shotgun, or assault weapon, they will all kill you. it was a scary night that ended with investigating a terrible car accident that had killed several people, there was no knee jerk programs the next day to outlaw cars, or alcohol.

oldman1 1 year, 11 months ago

I thank you for your service as a police officer cmawest. I agree with most of your points except one. Yes the government should focus on or economy. Its tanking fast. But I dont think it a knee jerk reaction to "senseless" killings. Haven't you been watching the news? How many more killing or attempted mass killing has there been inthe last 30 days? I just think something is going on in our country. I dont know why its happening but its freaking me out. I am a father to 6 children and a step father of 3. Now my wife and I are pleased as punch that we are now grandparents. SO call it the grandfather punch in the gut. But I really worry about what our kids and grandkids will have to endure in the future. LUV THEM KIDS!!

dennis collins 1 year, 11 months ago

oldman,

i couldn't agree with you more. my point is that banning guns is not the solution, and it gets really old (and very predictable) to have to hear all about how "banning" a high capacity magazine is somehow going to change things.

there is talk of banning magazines over 10 rounds, really ? would that slow a killer, proficiant in the use of an AR-15 down, maybe by a second or two while he slams another 10 rounder in. no, banning guns, or taking any constitutionally guaranteed right away from the people is just a left wing power trip that cannot be accomplished anyway, so i still say they need to quit wasting time trying to take away our guns and work on the economy.

i will give obama credit for one thing, he is the worlds best gun salesman. every time something like this comes out of his mouth, gun sales soar. i was at a sporting goods store in grand junction yesterday (a big one) they had zero assault weapons left, and you are now looking at 5 days getting CBI clearence to buy any gun. that was 15 minutes last month.

one look at the gun auction website shows colt AR-15s are upwards to $3,600.00 and bushmasters are auctioning in the $2,000.00 range. i paid $800.00 for mine. wish i'd have bought a dozen of them.

no, the answer will never be banning anything, not in a country the size and population of america. we kicked God of our schools and government, how can we expect him to continue to bless us. take a second to dust off that old family bible and read 2 Chronicles 7:14 and the real answer is right there looking you in the face.

the only other answer is to move to some other country that has never alllowed guns.

dennis collins 1 year, 11 months ago

damn them sparklers ! we have tried to ban them forever, but their still around.

just heard from my nephiew in the navy, he's a commander at fallon nevada. he says they are actually getting 5K for bushmaster AR-15s in reno.

heck i'll sell mine for half of that, heck i'll sell mine for a third of that and throw in 500 rounds of 223s.

ain't this fun stuff to watch ?