What is your stance on gun control?

Correct: I oppose it in any form. 335 votes

64.92%

Correct: I oppose a total ban on guns, but am open to restricting access to certain types of guns. 159 votes

30.81%

Correct: I support a national ban on guns. 22 votes

4.26%

516 total votes

Comments

Allen Hischke 2 years, 7 months ago

Proper gun control is hitting what you aim at.
I submit for everyones approval, that if the Principal, a teacher, or a qualified guard at the Sandy Hook school, would have met the lunatic shooter at the door he had shot his way into with a loaded .45 auto, or an AR-15, the chances people, other than him, dying that day would have been reduced tremendously. The politicians that think gun control is a good idea, have armed guards defending them, everytime they go outside thier offices or homes. Gun control will work just as well as prohibition did. All prohibition did was make a lot of normally honest citizens criminals, and boost organized crime to a level unseen before. I believe that when you are handed your boarding pass to get on a passenger airliner, you should also be handed a tazer. If every passenger on the plane had a tazer in thier hands during the flight, high jackings would drop to zero.
When you get off the plane, you hand your tazer back in the the airline that loaned it to you. No one that has been loaned these weapons, is going to try and use them, knowing that everyone else on board is equally armed.

oldman1 2 years, 7 months ago

I do not support a blanket gun control law. I believe that guns are an important part of our culture. Used for hundreds of years to protect our country and put food on our tables. I do, however, question why an average citizen would want a hand gun or firearm that would put the same weapons our law enforcement use to shame. I cannot understand why someone would need a full automatic weapon in personal armory. I am an honorable discharged desert storm vet. I qualified expert on my side arm and my rifle, as well as being a decorated gunner on an M1-A1 tank. So I do understand the place these weapons have. So can someone please tell me the importance of these battle weapons that some people own for their pesonal use?

Allen Hischke 2 years, 7 months ago

To start with, unless one has a stack of permits as high as the World Trade Center, you cannot purchase a fully automatic weapon of any kind. Secondly, no weapon should ever be considered bad or unneeded. Only the people that should not be using them should be considered bad or unneeded. Our focus after this terrible tragedy should not be to disarm honest citizens, but to weed out the criminals and those with mental problems.
And when a known felon, that cannot legally own any firearm goes into a store and attempts to purchase a gun and is caught at it. He should be put back in jail for the rest of his natural life, not allowed to go out the door so he can go down the street and try to purchase a gun in another store, where he might get away with it. Disarming honest citizens will only create a new form of criminal. Because these people are going to find a way to own a gun. They will begin to build guns themselves and start to keep company with gun runners. This is the same behavior that took place during prohibition. People made thier own booze, and kept company with known bootleggers. Gun laws are just like the prohibition law, and we all know how well that bit of legislation worked. As far as the place for these weapons. Had the Principal of Sandy Hook school, the first person killed at the school, met that lunatic when he was shooting his way into the school. She could have stopped him just inside the door using either an automatic pistol or an AR-15 type rifle with a 30+ round magazine.
These rifles are also used by varmit hunters because they are light and stand up well to bad weather. I appreciate your feelings and I hope that my opinions and explanations will help you to understand how millions of other gun owners such as myself and the NRA, feel about these things. Thank You

Jon Pfeifer 2 years, 7 months ago

Oldman, I personally agree with you. However, I do understand the other point of view. If the second amendment has at its core the goal of making sure the people can defend themselves from violence instigated by the government, then if the government were to attack the people, the people (i.e., private citizens) should be armed with the same or better weapons in order to defend themselves. It is a radical idea, but our founders were radicals and had just defeated a government they saw as evil.

oldman1 2 years, 7 months ago

Its a shame that the criminals have better access to the high power assault type weapons than our law enforcement. I have family in law enforcement and they have told me that on several occations they have been out gunned. And the only way they were able to defeat the felon is because of there sheer numbers and coordination. If there had been several well trained gunman it would have been a masacre. I guess that i feel the gun control should cover hand guns and assault weapons. Not hunting rifles and shotguns or archery.

GreyStone 2 years, 7 months ago

New laws will not curtail these psychotic killers from venting their frustrations on innocent victims. Laws are for politicians and law abiding people…not law breakers. A person in this state of mind is not inclined to pay any attention to a law they will move on to another wepon, Gas, Explosives or something even more destructive.

Passing laws prohibiting the consumption of alcohol was a fruitless attempt to keep people from the evils of alcohol…how did that work out.

Politicians love to pass laws for people to ignore…new gun laws will only drive up the price of guns and promote a new black market for these guns.

Controle of nut cases might be a first step.

Allen Hischke 2 years, 7 months ago

Making a better way to track those with mental problems and criminal history so that when they get a background check done they will not be allowed to purchase guns or ammunition is something that i would be very much in support of. Actually the best deterant for terror from guns is to do what Switzerland does. Every citizen is required to own a gun and know how to use it. The government supplies the ammunition. The crime numbers in Switzerland ar among the lowest in the world. Because everyone knows they will be met during a crime with return fire, likely from numerous angles.

GreyStone 2 years, 7 months ago

Nutcase kills two firefighters in N.Y. was convicted of manslaughter in 1981 for beating his 92-year-old grandmother with a hammer, was released from prison in 1998. Gun control nuts weren’t outraged at the monster who carried out the shootings. No, they were outraged at the NRA. Looks like we need more prisons, not gun laws. Nuts like these do not follow any law...not even the ten comandments.

Allen Hischke 2 years, 7 months ago

I think what this country needs most is more execution chambers. If they were put to use more often, as they should be, there would be a lot less nut cases to deal with. Those left with us might have a tendency to think before they signed their death warrant. These slaps on the wrist punishments don't seem to have the desired effect.

oldman1 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree Greystone. Take away guns, they will use knives. Take away kives they use explosives. Man was using rocks and sticks in the beginning. I think we should look at better mental health programs. Maybe mandating that medications for mental health patients be more affordable or even free to the ones who cant afford them. I mean I have never heard of a person with normal mental health ever killing several people just because they were angree at their mother or something.

GreyStone 2 years, 7 months ago

Also there must be something terribly wrong when this guy gets out of prison after killing his Grand mother with a hammer when the death penalty was more appropriate. This is a reflection on our justice system, NOT more gun control.

Allen Hischke 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes, what is wrong is all the liberal bleeding hearts that are opposed to the death penalty. Which is the only just punishment for these types of criminals.
The death penalty is the one and only way to permanently remove these types of people from our society.

dennis collins 2 years, 7 months ago

society created this problem. how many of us can remember these mass killings happening 50 years ago. a few over 50 years maybe, but not like now. we allow our kids to thumb their noses at society and tell them its "their right" we furnish video games that turn them into mindless, numb, killers with no remorse, and no realization of the sanctity of life, after all, just reset the game and all the dead guys come back. we tell them that if an unwanted pregnancy cause a problem finishing school, why, heck ! go get an abortion ! we bombard them with vicious bloody television programs and then say that it won't effect them. if t.v. has no effect, why would companies spend billions in advertizing on t.v. ?

i own a bushmaster AR-15 and i can tell you that i agree, there is probably no real reason to own one. its the best coyote gun i ever had, but a 223 bolt action would work too. and i am a viet nam veteran and former police officer, well trained in its use. need one ? no ! but i have a corvette that will go 190 mph ! need it ? of course not, but they are both fun to own. will i use my AR-15 to go hurt folks ? never ! but then i hadn't figured on running anyone down with the car either.

how do we control all this ? we don't ! ask anyone who has been the victim of one of these sensless shootings, its the price you pay for a free and open society. you can help by supporting your local police and sheriff depts. see to it they have the tools to do the job.

this government needs to concentrate on getting the economy kickstarted and stop all the knee jerking over sensless killings, thats tim jantz's job. thats law enforcements job. most cops support you owning your guns. but, like i said, do you really need an assault weapon ? i have in my police career been in the position of having someone banging away at me with a 44 magnum revolver, i didn't care if it was a pistol, shotgun, or assault weapon, they will all kill you. it was a scary night that ended with investigating a terrible car accident that had killed several people, there was no knee jerk programs the next day to outlaw cars, or alcohol.

Allen Hischke 2 years, 7 months ago

I will consider selling my AR-15 when you sell your Vette, and your AR-15.
Instead of asking people if they really need something they might use to defend thier family. You should first ask people if they really need a video game that involves nothing but shooting and killing everything in sight. That would be a question worth asking.

oldman1 2 years, 7 months ago

I thank you for your service as a police officer cmawest. I agree with most of your points except one. Yes the government should focus on or economy. Its tanking fast. But I dont think it a knee jerk reaction to "senseless" killings. Haven't you been watching the news? How many more killing or attempted mass killing has there been inthe last 30 days? I just think something is going on in our country. I dont know why its happening but its freaking me out. I am a father to 6 children and a step father of 3. Now my wife and I are pleased as punch that we are now grandparents. SO call it the grandfather punch in the gut. But I really worry about what our kids and grandkids will have to endure in the future. LUV THEM KIDS!!

dennis collins 2 years, 7 months ago

oldman,

i couldn't agree with you more. my point is that banning guns is not the solution, and it gets really old (and very predictable) to have to hear all about how "banning" a high capacity magazine is somehow going to change things.

there is talk of banning magazines over 10 rounds, really ? would that slow a killer, proficiant in the use of an AR-15 down, maybe by a second or two while he slams another 10 rounder in. no, banning guns, or taking any constitutionally guaranteed right away from the people is just a left wing power trip that cannot be accomplished anyway, so i still say they need to quit wasting time trying to take away our guns and work on the economy.

i will give obama credit for one thing, he is the worlds best gun salesman. every time something like this comes out of his mouth, gun sales soar. i was at a sporting goods store in grand junction yesterday (a big one) they had zero assault weapons left, and you are now looking at 5 days getting CBI clearence to buy any gun. that was 15 minutes last month.

one look at the gun auction website shows colt AR-15s are upwards to $3,600.00 and bushmasters are auctioning in the $2,000.00 range. i paid $800.00 for mine. wish i'd have bought a dozen of them.

no, the answer will never be banning anything, not in a country the size and population of america. we kicked God of our schools and government, how can we expect him to continue to bless us. take a second to dust off that old family bible and read 2 Chronicles 7:14 and the real answer is right there looking you in the face.

the only other answer is to move to some other country that has never alllowed guns.

Allen Hischke 2 years, 7 months ago

There is an article on the internet this morning that discusses how Utah schools are providing gun training for the teachers.
This is a step in the right direction and should be done at every school district in America. When teachers are able to properly defend thier students, then a person in a school with a weapon will not get very far. I urge the leaders of our Moffat County Schools to follow this correct and inteligent lead and provide this type of training for our teachers so they can arm themselves and defend thier lives and the lives of thier students.

Allen Hischke 2 years, 7 months ago

Today, Sheriff Joe Arpaio, from Arizona, a man I consider to be a hero. Called for armed Sheriffs Posse members to patrol schools. These posse members are trained, and screened just like regular Sheriffs Deputies are. This is something that should happen nationwide. To Mr. Moore: That is why we need a better way to track criminals and peolpe with mental disorders. Making new gun laws will accomplish nothing.

dennis collins 2 years, 7 months ago

damn them sparklers ! we have tried to ban them forever, but their still around.

just heard from my nephiew in the navy, he's a commander at fallon nevada. he says they are actually getting 5K for bushmaster AR-15s in reno.

heck i'll sell mine for half of that, heck i'll sell mine for a third of that and throw in 500 rounds of 223s.

ain't this fun stuff to watch ?

Allen Hischke 2 years, 7 months ago

To cmawest: Please concact me at als362@hotmail.com about the sale of your AR-15. Perhaps we can make a deal.

Allen Hischke 2 years, 6 months ago

Since cmawest has not contacted me about selling the AR-15, I must suppose that this reader has decided that keeping this rifle is abetter option than having the money that could be made from its sale.
Sound judgement cmawest. The money would never be able to defend yourself or your family, but the rifle can.

Allen Hischke 2 years, 6 months ago

With the so called president taking steps to ban guns, and curtail our second amendment rights, there are some things as gun owners we all need to do now. 1: If you are not a member of the NRA join today. 2: Call, write or email your US Representative, and US Senators, and tell them if they expect to get your vote ever again they should not support any type of gun control legislation.

Doing these things are important to retaining your rights as a gun owner.