Based on last month's investigation by The Denver Post and 9News into Colorado's child welfare system, which revealed Moffat County has the highest rate per capita of child abuse referrals in the state, do you think the county has a child abuse problem?

Correct: Yes, the numbers speak pretty clearly. 324 votes

79.41%

Correct: No, there are just fewer unreported cases here than in other areas, inflating the numbers. 49 votes

12.01%

Correct: I hadn't considered it. 35 votes

8.58%

408 total votes

Comments

jamieb5691 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe because our ladies at social services go a little over board on ppl they dont like, just saying. I know of two cases that were reported the ppl were charged and it never really happened. Kids came forward and admitted lying to s.s. But yet there was no investigation, parents were arrested and charged then offered a plea. Having no money to fight their case they took the plea. HORRIBLE!!

cag81625 1 year, 8 months ago

I have lived in many places in my life, but I have NEVER been in a place where the well being of children as poorly regarded as it is here. I don't know what it is; the transient nature of portions of the workforce, the "just leave us be" cultural undercurrents, or what, but life in here in "the real west" is awfully hard on too many young ones. My children, coming from a normal, quiet, loving family seem to be an increasing rarity in this town. If Moffat County wants to represent what it's political leanings are meant to suggest, it had better get real serious about this issue real quick.

oldman1 1 year, 8 months ago

I cant believe what I just read from cag81625! If I read it correctly they are saying the people of Craig America are incapable of raising normal healthy children. That nobody is as good at raising children as they are! If you really think we are a bunch of back woods rednecks that got our child rearing skills watching WWE and racing monster truck races then why not move back to the city where you probably came from?! I will tell you from experience that the reason there is more cases reported is because our current director of social services automatically turns any report from the schools or doctor over to the district attorny. The schools are pressured, no intimidated, into reporting every little thing a child does or face repercussions from the county and state Then once they are in your life they will do just about everything to make you look like the worst parent on the planet in the court room. And then they make you jump through a million hoops to prove you are a good parent, but even then they just aren't quite sure if its a good idea for them to let you raise your own family without supervision because we all are just too incompitant to keep the child from killing themself. I will say to any person who thinks that they are the absolute best parent on the planet and we all should learn from you, You better clean your own kitchen before you start judging others.

leroymcgee 1 year, 8 months ago

Denial, defensiveness, and resistance to outside opinions. Sounds like typical "Real West" "Craig, America" ignorance to me.

cag81625 1 year, 8 months ago

Besides, I have never lived in anything resembling a city. Well, they call Craig a city, so I suppose that's close.

melonie barrett 1 year, 8 months ago

i can not believe that social services has a woman who they call to talk to kids in the time of crisis that is not even certified in that erea???I guess in craig ,its not who you know,its who you -low

Militaryfam09 1 year, 8 months ago

All it takes is one person to make one thing bigger then what it really is. Being from Craig I've seen kids coming in to school all cut up and caring marks. Most kids get those from playing rough with other kids. With the school system being under pressure from the county and state it doesn't surprise me the make it more then what it really is. So don't be downing the name of Craig. Understand that in the now days what one person sees and reports out does the truth. As I learned being in the military perception is everything.