Should the City of Craig exercise eminent domain on Craig City Park if a lease agreement cannot be reached with Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 4265?

Correct: Yes 106 votes

27.39%

Correct: No 273 votes

70.54%

Correct: Undecided 8 votes

2.07%

387 total votes

Comments

Becky Plummer 2 years, 3 months ago

That would feel almost like Treason to me.... Not a good thing at all....

Colette Erickson 2 years, 3 months ago

If the VFW cannot be good trustees and stewards for the land, which is the intent of the original grantors - let's not forget the VFW was given the land and is supposed to be a steward and trustee, not a land speculator - then there may be no other option. The park was intended - by the design of the original grantors - to benefit the entire community; not just some cranky old guys, who are prone, apparently, to "fly off the handle" at the least provocation.

native_craig_guy 2 years, 3 months ago

The idea of using Eminent Domain for a "public park" is a scary proposition.... Haven't we learned the dangers on Eminent Domain with the Kum and Go and Hospital's usage of it? Eminent Domain is a very, very treacherous legal principal that should be used with caution. I think that if the VFW are not complying with the deed restrictions on the property than they need to lose it, but I dont think that eminent domain is the right avenue to pursue.

native_craig_guy 2 years, 3 months ago

Ranger520- I don't like it when the government takes land away from private citizens at all. Thats why I am against Eminent Domain. I don't think that the government should have that right (4th Amendment right to be secure in out papers and property without improper search and seizure). But if the VFW is not performing and/or satisfying the conditions on the deed (it is my understanding from articles past that the land has deed restrictions in place) than the land could be taken away from the VFW. Something the city may want to look into. Depending on the deed restrictions and wording (if any) of and provisions in case the land is not used for its intended purpose, they could lose the land or it could be turned over to someone else. Without looking at the deed itself I am merely speculating on what could happen. It would take a lawyer to review it to see what could happen if they violate the deed restrictions.

Taxpayer 2 years, 3 months ago

Other groups in this city get free utilities. The VFW appears to want to keep the land as a park. I am sicken by the city councils proposed action, eminent domain is not the way to acquire private land. Your property could be next with that agenda. I think the maintenance will be feasibile for the VFW and they could work that out. Perhaps charging for the railroad car will offset some of the utilities.

justoncrack 2 years, 3 months ago

You gotta love Allen Hischke's hypocrisy. Always ranting and raving against the evil government forces currently in power, and yet, now suggests that the government completely abuse it's power by claiming eminent domain for a city park.

justoncrack 2 years, 3 months ago

Allen, I'm actually supporting your usual views of less government intrusion. Government obtaining ownership of private land without the consent of the owner just because the government felt like they weren't dealt with "fairly" rings of socialism. You're not a socialist, are you?

Whether or not the VFW is keeping with the spirit of the agreement is a completely separate argument than whether eminent domain is an appropriate use of government power. Should the park stay a park for the public to continue using? Absolutely. Is the threat of eminent domain an appropriate avenue to pursue this? Absolutely not (unless you're a socialist).

Tammy Showalter 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree with justoncrack; and taxpayers statements seem very wise....perhaps the media should post some facts. The way I read it, it seemed like the VFW are the only ones who ever got free utilities. it seems in all recent controversies the City are the ones who don't play well with others....I am ashamed to say I voted for two of the council members...when is the next election, I need to rectify my mistake. Also IMO....the money being used by the city is taxpayer money isn't it???? Taxpayers should have a voice then, yes? I thank God for Veteran's every day.

Taxpayer 2 years, 3 months ago

I believe the VFW used some sarcasm about putting an oil derrick on the property. The VFW has supported this community for many decades and deserves a lot more respect. The park will remain the same beautiful park we all enjoy. What is wrong with the VFW getting rental fees for events, beer gardens, etc.? Let’s not back a polar beer, a trophy elk, mountain lion into a corner without finding a way to exit graciously.

Be always sure you are right - then go ahead. Davy Crockett

Taxpayer 2 years, 3 months ago

Boy, I think someone left a perfectly good airplane one too many times. Don't the Boys and Girls Club get free utilities? Other organizations have gotten assistance also. I think not having a lease for a few years isn't the best for anyone either. From a taxpayers point of view, I think the VFW is trying to work to make sure that the park is well groomed, watered, and continues to be a place for all of us to enjoy. The VFW helps the community in so many ways. I would like to see a helicopter in the park as we have a Congressional Medal of Honor receipt, Maj. William Edward Adams, who deserves to be recognized for his service to our country. Maybe everyone needs to go back to his or her respective corners and rethink what needs to be done for a win-win situation for everyone.

egg435 2 years, 3 months ago

I am sorry to see the VFW getting a bad reputation because of a handful of Post members. The majority of VFW and VFW Auxiliary members don't have any part of the current negotiations. The majority of our veterans deserve respect for the service they have provided to our country. I hope the leadership involved in these negotiations can reach a fair and reasonable agreement. I think the city should concentrate on burned down motels and dumpy vacant lots before they come after a park.