How should Craig City Council address the urban deer population?

Allow the Colorado Division of Wildlife to kill a majority of the deer in city limits, set up a hunting area outside of Craig and implement a deer trapping program 144 votes

22.75%

Consider other options, such as relocation 78 votes

12.32%

Leave the deer alone 351 votes

55.45%

Allow voters to decide in the next election 23 votes

3.63%

More discussion is needed 37 votes

5.85%

633 total votes

Comments

needstoknow 4 years, 1 month ago

I think that the people complaining about the deer, should really stop an think about all their complaining!!! If they would stop an think the deer an elk for that matter where here before they were.. I enjoy the deer in my yard, I wouldn't have it any other way. If we KILL KILL KILL what would be left for hunting season???? Do they not realize that the deer an elk are what partially keep this town going with all the out of state hunters??? I know for a fact that the WHINNER'S are not going to get their way cuz the other's like me that like the wildlife are going to out weight them...

als362 4 years, 1 month ago

I think the first thing that should be done is to place very stiff sentences on feeding the deer.
For the first offense the fine should be $500.00, for the second offense $1000.00, and for the third, a week in jail.
These sentences should be the same for those people that feed the deer indirectly by feeding birds or squirrels in such a way that the deer have access to, and can get to that food. Feeding the deer, I believe, is the biggest reason there are so many deer in town. Putting a stop to feeding the deer should be the first step taken. After a period of time, say 3 to 6 months, then we can reevaluate the situation. But i don't think any action should be taken until the feeding of the deer is totally stopped. Any money collected in fines should be used to relocate the deer if that is necessary after the waiting period is over. If the money is not needed to deal with the deer then, the money should be donated to a local charity.

justthefacts 4 years, 1 month ago

Fact: The vote is clear, the majority of Craig residents want the deer left alone!!!

Fact: I did not think I would live so long as to see the Craig City Council cater to special interest. ( Mrs. Severson, The Butlers, and not many more.)

Fact: If the Craig City Council truly represent the citizens of Craig the deer must not be killed. ( Remember Craig City Council elections are in April. Which deer murderer will want to be your next Mayor???)

Just The representative government Facts

Taxpayer 4 years, 1 month ago

justthefacts helps promote dialogue on a lot of topics - and while I do not always concur, at least people start discussing the various issues. Discussion is always good. thanks.

ruralmom 4 years, 1 month ago

I live in town and suffer the consequences of having the deer in town. I have a dog that will not do anything to deer walking in her yard. Lucky for her. But what about the kids. There are 4 huge bucks living on the end of Green street. That time of year is coming when the bucks have a one track mind. These bucks are only two blocks from Sunset Elem. If there is a kid between a buck and his intended love interest there could be consequences. Yes, this time of the year only happens one time a year but there is kids year around. True, there has not been an incident of a child being hurt by a deer lately, yet, but can this community live with themselves knowing we CHOSE to keep deer in the city limits when something does happen. Would it not be better to aire on the side of caution. I feel that annual humaine trapping and culling of the majority of the town's deer population, with harsh penilties for deer feeding, with distribution of the meat can meet the majority of the communities wishes.

onewhocares 4 years, 1 month ago

Ruralmom,

No offense but you really need to get a clue. You teach your kids to stay a safe distance away from the deer, as you should your neighbors dogs, and of course from strangers. There are a million dangers lurking that could harm your children, but it is an issue you need to make peace with & realize is a part of life. People have become SO totally disconnected from the natural world, that even a deer that is virtually harmless has become a threat. What a sad statement on humanity! The deer & buck are the least of your children's dangers facing them. I would be MUCH more concerned about the convicted sex offenders on your block, or in this town, or the numerous drug dealers that love young kids to become their clients, or the church official doing unspeakable things to kids. Those are things that truly pose a threat to your kids.

als362 4 years, 1 month ago

For several years there was a fairly large herd of elk that wintered in the lot where the walmart is now standing. There were no problems with these elk. Why? Because people had the good sense to leave them alone.

Tammy Showalter 4 years, 1 month ago

kudos to onewhocares a little common sense goes a looong way! We have at least 4 bedded down in our back yard every winter....Our three dogs either have no problem sharing or have sense enough to keep their distance. I am happy to say my kids have the good sense!

kp81625 4 years, 1 month ago

Really??? Is this really over three dogs? OMG!! I have taught my daughters and will teach my grandchildren to stay away from them. Let's all remember that these are wild animals. If your dog gets hurt, it's probably from them chasing the deer, which is illegal. Harassment of wildlife is against the law, so if your dog get's hurt, you should be slapped with whatever legal consequences there are for violating the law. Have some common sense people! Please! I have deer in my yard all winter long. It's a joy to see them out there. I don't feed them and I certainly don't want to harm them or take them somewhere else. But I also don't go outside to have a heart to heart conversation with them either.