Should the Colorado Division of Wildlife propose rules that would make illegal the hunting and taking of wildlife in their dens, caves and roosts?

Yes 335 votes

46.33%

No 377 votes

52.14%

Undecided 11 votes

1.52%

723 total votes

Comments

hunter 3 years, 4 months ago

No they should have no rule at all. They are not here to be a ethics committee, they are here to manage wildlife. If the proposed law has nothing to with the DOWs ability to manage wildlife then it has no place being created.

wymtnman 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree with "hunter". The game and fish should "only" manage the wildlife of the state of Colorado. If a person is an idiot and has no moral values as to how , where and in what manner that he or she takes an animal, it should be on their moral conscience. The fellow that shot the bear in it's den was although correct in killing it however possible was a true coward and used unsportsman like tactics in taking that animal. He will have to live with his cowardly decision. The state should not have to police clown's like this. In my opionion, this great white hunter should never be allowed to hunt in this wonderful country again for anything. It's a good thing that I don't have the where with all to make decisions like this. Democracy has to rule. He is NOT the example of a good and rightious hunter. Keep up the good work Colorado!!!! Wyoming does'nt manage their wildlife nearly as well as Colorady does.

GreyStone 3 years, 4 months ago

Roosts? Is that what you call it, when a mountain lion is sleeping in a tree? Lions make a better target when they are up in plain sight, in a tree, so I hope they don’t make that against the law.

slipknot 3 years, 4 months ago

I have mixed feelers about this, I've gotten the special thrill that comes with running a lion or bear with a pack of well trained hounds, but not killing the bear or cat, because you can run those same hounds after coons and get almost the same thrill. I started "shooting" with a camera several years ago, and until I grew too physically challenged to keep up with the dogs, I stayed with it. But never did I allow myself or anyone with me to go into the den after a bear. Sometimes a hound would, but this was only after very special hunting and environmental circumstances. I don't understand how this happened? If the bear was truly 'denned' up then the hunter must have had prior knowledge of its' location in order to track it to the den? Were hounds involved? What else is involved? I truly feel it was not a hunting act that would reflect a hunter acting within fair chase and fair kill laws. Unethical Act.

slipknot 3 years, 4 months ago

I've read the original article and I regret my comments. I apologize to Richard for them. I understand the circumstances now, no hounds, he knew the location of the bear before he bought the license? Maybe this is the sheep killer that's been in that area for the last few years? In any case I was wrong. I apologize

wildrsq 3 years, 3 months ago

"The Colorado Division of Wildlife is charged by statute to protect, preserve, enhance, and manage wildlife for the use, benefit and enjoyment of the people of this state and its visitors." The people of this state should get to VOTE for the wildlife laws(we don't!). The CDOW is not only here to manage wildlife for the hunters(the minority) but to PROTECT and PRESERVE the wildlife for everyone.

WildlifeMatters 3 years, 3 months ago

If the CDOW is not responsible to uphold, manage and enforce ethical hunting in this state, exactly who is? The ethics of hunting originated long before present regulations. They originated in a world where a hunter had respect for his prey. And yes, even compassion. Now such a sentiment is considered the enemy of hunting? The demise of its existance at all? BS.

Far riskier to the future of hunting is NOT the loss of lands, or the regulations, or the growing population of anti's... It is the lacking of quality, of genuine ethics, of the once upon a time "fair chase" and "one shot- quick kill" sportsmanship that ethics were founded on. Today, wildlife management is a HUNTING & FISHING BUSINESS. A license is available to every Tom, Mary, Dick and Dick Jr that will buy one. Yes, we have a right to that license. No, we do not have a right to abuse wildlife just because of that "right".

Whatever it takes, ehtics must be upheld, regulated and enforced - because there are too many idiots in the woods today - who are officially the first enemy of hunting.