What kind of city and county-sponsored incentives would you support for the recruitment of new businesses to Craig and Moffat County?

Donated land 6 votes

3.23%

Infrastructure development 35 votes

18.82%

Tax breaks 16 votes

8.60%

All of the above 61 votes

32.80%

I would not support any incentives 68 votes

36.56%

186 total votes

Comments

taxslave 6 years, 3 months ago

Governments have no money.....only taxes and tarriffs....think about it.

We, the TAX PAYER, pay every salary, every phone bill, every medical bill, EVERYTHING...and they still want more.

It's time to revolt! Perhaps we'll get on the same page one of these days and invade City Council and the Commissioners mtgs. We need to demand accountability from these clowns.

irishbrat 6 years, 3 months ago

i'm sure if there were an incentive our taxes would go up some more. They might call it county & city sponsored, brushed off onto us...yeah good idea there.

digg_user 6 years, 2 months ago

taxslave, I hear what you're saying but only to a point. The governments were setup so that we have a voice on a local level, and that federally we do not. The Federal government was only suppose to be for defense and foreign relations THAT'S IT. No trade regulation or national mandates. It was up to a city and state level for things to operate on.

Now as for our commissioner's meetings and city council, yeah show up for them. When a citizen takes the time to show up for a city council meeting they take notice. On only a couple of issues where I felt very strongly about something I showed up and voiced my support for it. That ended up on a couple of occasions being the shift that they needed. If tons of people showed up then they'd be just eating out of the mob's hands.

Talk is one thing, do is another. I think LOCAL government is a good thing, because here we have a voice in how it runs.

cantstandtexans 6 years, 2 months ago

I have a question for taxslave. And...before you haggle at me, I want to point out that I have absolutely no respect for the federal government or its minions...the IRS. But, that being said....the question is....do you think that it's fair for tax payers to be subjected to the current administrations and the GOP'S undying support for the hugh tax breaks given Big oil companies? If you agree with these tax breaks that McBush wants to continue and increase...would not that be a government entity that uses your tax dollars to support hugh oil corporations that needs financial help about has much as Bill Gates does?! I don't agee much on this survey...except for possible infrastructure help for new business....if.....that business will help employ local residents with good jobs and benefits. Just a curious question to shore up your comments. I for one...think its high treason for big oil to recieve such special considerations and the multi-billion dollars tax breaks. If the GOP really believed in a free market society...then why was it that the GOP led House and Senate voted to give these Fat Cat oil companies so much free cash? Craig needs jobs that help the community...not take away from it. I believe that Walmart was a hugh mistake. That scenario has yet to really expose itself...we shall see. But business that helps keep and produce stationary money is what Craig needs. That...would help everyone in Moffat county. Retail is a needed item I know, but manfacturing and production that creates cash is a key componet in a areas economy...not retail jobs...howbeit service/retail creates jobs...but costs of goods can and usually does outstrips the cash in to cash out equation.

oldgezzer 6 years, 2 months ago

good point folks, but the community has to welcome these as a whole also. many industries have looked to craig, and many have been turned away because the community doesnt want them. remember the minimum security prison and the waste incinerator, and now the oil and gas industry may be next. when the mines are done resturants and liqour stores arent going to keep this town afloat.

rexford 6 years, 2 months ago

Tax this, tax that. Seems that is all the goverment knows, Lets build this and build that, support locals. Pay someone $20,000 to tell us we are stupid and do not know how to vote for more taxes.

jjcarver 6 years, 2 months ago

This is a problem that has been asked for years, Not only in Craig but most of the surrounding communities as well. However some of the surrounding communities have things help them like Steamboat Springs and the skiing. This is also a thing that businesses look at when deciding where to build and locate. The other areas like Craig, feel they have to do something extra ordinary to get the new business adventures to chose Craig for their new location.
I agree that almost anytime there is a question the first answer is where do we get the money. Taxes seem to be a pat answer. Tases have over the years have made it almost impossible for people on fixed incomes to be able to exist. Now people want to add to this burden. Is this a reasonable answer. I do not believe so and I bet the people on fixed incomes would agree with me. I do not agree with the oil companies being given a tax brake either. What is the solution? I don't really know. I do however know that no one person can repair all the damage that has been done over the years. I also thing until the time everyone can get away from this political party crap and learn to work with each other instead of blame each other for the problems of today. If you listen to the candidates that are running for political offices the main extent seems to blame the orher part for all the problems. Lets face it. Both parties are to blame so lets stop the bickering and start working on something that will work, not raise our taxes. If the political parties want to raise the taxes make it a stipulation that they must live on what the average medicare individual recieves during the year. See what their opinion is then. So until we cast aside our wanting to blame the other individual and accept that responsibility for ourselves we will never get the problem straightened out. This is for all levels off government from the Federal to the Local. We have to work together.

jjcarver 6 years, 2 months ago

I agree that almost anytime there is a question the first answer is where do we get the money. Taxes seem to be a pat answer. Taxes have over the years have made it almost impossible for people on fixed incomes to be able to exist. Now people want to add to this burden. Is this a reasonable answer. I do not believe so and I bet the people on fixed incomes would agree with me. I do not agree with the oil companies being given a tax break either. What is the solution? I don't really know. I do however know that no one person can repair all the damage that has been done over the years. I also thing until the time everyone can get away from this political party crap and learn to work with each other instead of blame each other for the problems of today. If you listen to the candidates that are running for political offices the main extent seems to blame the other party for all the problems. Lets face it. Both parties are to blame so lets stop the bickering and start working on something that will work, not raise our taxes. If the political parties want to raise the taxes make it a stipulation that they must live on what the average medicare individual recieves during the year. See what their opinion is then. So until we cast aside our wanting to blame the other individual and accept that responsibility for ourselves we will never get the problem straightened out. This is for all levels off government from the Federal to the Local. We have to work together.