What issue concerns you the most regarding Moffat County youths?

Drug/alcohol use 99 votes

45.83%

Pregnancy 15 votes

6.94%

Basic reading, writing and math skills 52 votes

24.07%

Motivation and ambition 45 votes

20.83%

I don't see any big concerns for our youth 5 votes

2.31%

216 total votes

Comments

Craig_gal 6 years, 1 month ago

where was suicide?, Where was bullying?. dropping out?. Those are the big concerns! motivation and ambition is only recognized when it falls into certain categories. I have seen children with HUGE ambition but since the motivation was in dirt bikes, hunting, art, etc they are not counted as "great qualities" and have to find structure amongst themselves.

grannyrett 6 years, 1 month ago

If motivation and ambition aren't there, nothing else will fall in place. Without the first two, the others will never happen-except drug and alcohol use.

DV8 6 years, 1 month ago

The biggest issues I see regarding youth in this community that concerns me the most is how schools, the police and the Justice system view normal kid behavior as criminal. But of the choices given, I'm appalled by the quality of "education" given in this county.

luvbug 6 years, 1 month ago

We need to support or schools here. It is not just up to the school districts to educate our children, it is the responsiblity of the parents. We need to help the teachers and support them in the education of our children. Teachers don't just teach for the pay they do it because they truly love kids and want them to be better "citizens" of our great country. (And no I'm not a teacher)

jjcarver 6 years, 1 month ago

While these issues being examined in light of Moffat County youth I would like to point out that these issues are not only the concerns of Moffat County but of youth in this great nation as a whole. No matter where you go today you will find these issues are all too common everywhere. While trying to fix these issues, Moffat County can be an example not only to the state of Colorado but the United States also. I would like to point out that when the adults of today were growing up our parents had many of the same concerns about us. How did we turn out? Consider this question while concentrating on today's youth and the issues they face.

Jason Phillips 6 years, 1 month ago

It's a combination of education and pregnancy... Dumb kids knocking up other dumb kids, perpetuating the Craig cycle. It's always the dopey parents who had their kids too young who end up having grankids too young too because they are unable, or unwilling to teach their own kids to learn from their parents mistakes. Those families never seem to have any money either-- coincidence I'm sure.

freeman 6 years, 1 month ago

JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF YOU ARE FROM CRAIG OR JUST MOVED HERE BUFF, ALSO DO YOU HAVE KIDS OR FAMILY MEMBERS WHO HAVE CHILDREN.....ALOT OF THE PROBLEMS STEM FROM PEOPLE WHO CALL CHILDREN DUMB....ALL PARENTS SHOULD HAVE A TIGHT ROPE ON THERE KIDS ,ALWAYS LOOKING OVER THERE PROGRESS NO MATTER WHAT IT IS,,,,,BUT IF YOU ARE A BRONCO FAN ,,I CAN SEE WERE DUMB CAME FROM...NEVER EVER SHOULD YOU CALL A CHILD DUMB....

grannyrett 6 years, 1 month ago

freeman-I'm with you on this one. Many parents that had kids while they were young raised fine young adults. Many that I know had them while they were young so that they wouldn't spend their retirement putting kids through collage and would be young enough to enjoy their grandkids. Maybe the buff bronc fan doesn't have any kids. If he does, I hope they are as perfect as he seems to think he is.

hunter 6 years, 1 month ago

Simply put the some of the parents and adults in this town(and other places) make me sick. I have worked with youth in 6 different counties and in several different communities. The biggest issue I tend to see is crappy parents. It may not always be bad parents, but most of the time there are people having kids that have no business having them. There are some really great parents in this town, and some that are really bad.

The biggest issue I see in the area is lack of dreams, motivation and ambition. Kids sit around thinking everything "sucks" or everything is "gay". They spend hours on end with out parent interaction, they sit at computers for hours or text on the phone etc.

Our community sends a very negative attitude about education and the quality of education here. general concensus is to blame the school for not doing the job, but this does not work. Every student in teh school has the opprotunity to learn and accomplish great things. It is up to the parents and the students to make this happen. Sure every once and a while there are some crappy teachers, but that is not enough to keep any child in this community from becomming what ever they want to be.

With out hope, there is nothing. With ambition there is no hope. In this town too often kids lack both and accept defeat.

USAFmanmontes 6 years, 1 month ago

WOW. My name is Jaime Montes I am an Airman First Class, and i am stationed at Farichild Air Force Base in washington, I left about a year ago. The biggest problem that i saw when i was there as a teenager was the way that kids got away with murder. When i heard about kids getting caught with a bottle of alchohol and their parents not doing anything about it made me mad bcuz it was that guy that had the nicest car around bcuz daddy bought it for him, along with his brand new 2006 artic cat to go with it. The fact that kids don't have dicipline or morals and they go out and harras the weak willed bcuz they think that its the cool thing to do. Thats why kids go out and drink. They think that alcohol is the only way to drown their sorrows away. When i was in high school in Criag i had the worst senior year that anyone could ever imagine bcuz of the "popular" kids that had everything handed to them and pick on me and said whatever they wanted. To top it off some teachers would allow it which only made it a lot worst, but i still didnt go out and drink or do drugs bcuz my parents taught me better and they instilled those morals. And now they're as proud as can be bcuz they did keep a tight leash on me but still gave enough slack to be a teenager. I'm not saying be the next drill sergent. Do you know your kids and how they ask in school, who they hang out with, or what they do for fun? If he/she plays on the computer all day, hey they might be the next bill gates??? Who knows honestly. Do you have peace of mind when you drop your kid off bcuz u taught him/her what they needed to learn? If not maybe its not to late who knows.

freeman 6 years, 1 month ago

SON IN LAW...I HOPE YOU STILL FEEL THE SAME ABOUT ME

freeman 6 years, 1 month ago

TO : USAFmanmontes i agree with you 100 percent . as i stated in my comment regarding children.You will figure out who i am shortly When i first was introduced to you i was totally amazed at your respect for others and mainly me and my wife. I could tell right away that the way your parents raised you was the way all kids should be..The way you open the door for your lady and let your lady out of a vehicle. PURE RESPECT I COULD NOT BE MORE HAPPY AND PROUD TO HAVE YOU AS A STEPSON ANYDAY...THE WAY YOU TREAT MY DAUGHTER,,,,,,,,,I KNOW THERE IS NOBODY BETTER FOR HER THEN YOU...SEE YA SOON