Should youths be allowed to take part in compliance checks to ensure establishments that serve alcohol are not serving illegally to minors?

No. It's illegal for youths to purchase alcohol, so why would law enforcement ask them to do an illegal action. 92 votes

39.48%

Yes. It's part of an operation, and it's not like law enforcement is letting the youths keep the alcohol to drink. 141 votes

60.52%

233 total votes

Comments

grannyrett 6 years, 3 months ago

How else are the police suppose to find out if businesses are complying with the law? I got caught in a sting years ago, and it didn't seem fair when it happened, but I sure was more careful afterwards. If underage drinking wasn't such a problem, it wouldn't be necessary. But, something has to be done, and I don't know any other way to do it.

jsowers 6 years, 3 months ago

I voted yes because there is no other way to know if these sales were being made.Quite frankly I think they should file criminal charges against those who make the sales maybe that would get their attention since nothing else does. As for an establishment being toobusy to check the I.D.s closer that is bull.They obviously aren't too busy to make the sale and grab that all mighty buck!!!

MinerSteve 6 years, 2 months ago

Seems to me, if you involve youths in undercover work such as this, you teach them ways around the system.

Taylor 6 years, 2 months ago

It's can't be legal and I agree with MinerSteve. But, I am not sure how they could bust the establishments if the kids were over 21. Double edged sword. For the record, I also voted no, but after thinking a moment cannot think of a solution. What's your take nativegirl?

Shawna 6 years, 2 months ago

Look at it from another angle. How is it not legal? The police are entitled to do sting operations. The only way they can do this is by using a minor. If all goes well, the minor doesn't even get to buy any alcohol. If they do, they go back outside and turn it in to the cops (convenience store) or go out and report what happened (restaurant). So there's no possession or consumption. So I don't see what's wrong with it. It could save lives. (And probably has.)

Craig_gal 6 years, 2 months ago

selling to minors is WRONG---so do two wrongs make it right when it is for the "greater good"? nah think of another way to enforce the laws.

mississippisaint 6 years, 2 months ago

i wonder why there is such a big issue. isnt there greater crimes going on that are more harmful to the public? and when the majority of these underage drinkers drink isnt the only problem noise complaints, i mean it seems underage dui related accidents in craig are quite small. and what of these underage people being sent to entrap the buisnesses, i mean there are plenty of 18 even 17 year olds that we can send of to fight and DIE for this country but we really need to go out the way to punish a store for selling alcohol to someone old enough to die for this country, it isnt like they are selling to 12 year olds