What is your favorite part of Craig?

The people 29 votes

27.86%

Other 17 votes

5.26%

None, I can't stand it here 105 votes

32.51%

323 total votes

Comments

nursedonna 6 years, 5 months ago

I came to Craig in 1976 and left in 2000. I hated being in Craig at 1st, but over the months, the years, found it to be the most incredible community I had ever encountered. After living in Belize, Central America, for 7 years and now calling Oregon "home" (although my house, my truck, my dog Nellie and my stuff are in Belize) I know that I will never find another place so kind, compassionate, friendly as I experienced in Craig. I loved raising my family there. The depth of friendships I developed in Craig can never be emulated. Allan and I are so proud of our children and the wonderful members of society that they've become. That happened only because they were born, raised and educated there, and were part of the community of Craig.

I have grown so much as an individual in the last 30 years...and Craig has contributed to most of that growth. Currently, I am working as an Americorps/VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America.) I give many speeches in my work...and never do I speak without mentioning the community of Craig. I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Donna Reishus Americorps/VISTA Coordinator for Learning and Civic Engagement Student Life and Leadership Linn Benton Community College 6500 Pacific Blvd. SW Albany, OR, 97321

vic 6 years, 5 months ago

For me, it's the people...everything else is just an added bonus. I have lived all over the place and have never found so many kind hearted people as I have in Craig.

jmemcse 6 years, 5 months ago

To those of you who responded "None, I can't stand it here" - I have some advice. Move to the City of Detroit, Michigan for one year. Don't worry, when you come scampering back to Craig with your tail between your legs the community will still welcome you with open arms.

gem 6 years, 5 months ago

i moved here from denver... i dont like the fact that there isn't anything to do for kids! i don't like the fact that this community doesn't care what it looks like. i mean, the "welcome to craig" sign boasts the three stacks at the mine...classy... we need something like Golden, Colorado. one that stretches from one side of Victory to the other, that reads "welcome to craig" we need to do something about around city market (hopefully their corporate will update) we need businesses to repaint... and BY GOD, we need a new city planner. this town is all out of wack! houses right next to businesses, buildings being build where they just don't make any sense, houses being built where they have a nice view of the plant...lovely... we need a town that LOVES to be Craig. we need something to be proud of!! i hate telling people we live in Craig now and everyone asks "why" i want people to say "oh i've driven through there" or "oh, i've been there" and thought it was a cute town. TAKE PRIDE!!!!! make the town prettier!

Craig_gal 6 years, 5 months ago

oh come on! All you naysayers seem a little spoiled to me. yes this could improve, that could improve but my goodness gracious we live in paradise. take a peaceful look around and enjoy the moment

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

gem-If we wanted to look like Golden, we would move there. The three stacks aren't from the mine. They are from the power plant. We should not have to entertain your kids. They are YOUR kids. Take them fishing, skiing, snowmobiling, or something. Be a parent. I managed to raise my kids without a rec center, and they were always busy. We went camping, fishing, hunting-there are alot of different hunting seasons- it's not just deer and elk.

WileyWapiti 6 years, 5 months ago

I have lived in Craig since about 1995, having moved here from the flats of Wyoming (which I still love by the way - Go Cowboys!), it was like adding color to only black and white TV. The mountains, the landscapes, the wildlife....not1, not2, but 3 Kum & Go's - we used to say that if we had a Wal Mart it would be perfect. Well - chalk that one up as well.

I have lived all over the world, I have spent over 7 years outside of the US, I have lived in many communities all over this great country as well traveling with my company. We may have a few soreheads in the community, I may even be one once in a while - but try as hard as we want, I haven't been able to leave here or prove to myself a good reason to leave - it just feels right. If you like the big city, long commutes through heavy traffic, nightly drive-bys, homeless people under the bridges and in the doorstoops and picking through your garbage than you may not be in the right place. However, if you complain about the deer eating your flowers, ferrel cats making your woodpile and flowerbeds their own personal catbox, you have to shovel a little extra snow, you see your friends and neighbors not only at the store, but up elk hunting and you stop to say hi - or you see your kids or their friends in the newspaper, you get excited about new business' coming into town, you support local business and economy - I think you have a good reason to be here and you are welcome to do so.

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

The poll says 77 can't stand it here and 70 love it here. I can't believe that so many people can't stand it here. There are 4 roads going in each major direction. I sure wouldn't live where I didn't like it. What's the matter with this area? There is so much to see and do year around here. In Craig, we know our neighbors. In big cities, we don't, and we don't want to even try. Sure, we don't have big, fancy gyms, rec centers, theatre's or all that stuff. I guess if that stuff was so important to us, we'd live in a big city. Here we have wide open spaces. Enormous area's of BLM land that we can camp, hike, ski, snowmobile, or hunt on. We can learn to be self sufficient. We can have backyard BB-Q's with our neighbors and friends. We don't have the crime rate or pollution to worry about. We learn to depend on ourselves to entertain ourselves. We don't expect someone else to do it.

gem 6 years, 5 months ago

thanks, but i dn't have kids. i think it's sad that so many kids ARE on meth. i'm only 24....but thanks. this town has no pride on what it looks like, if you like thats then fine..but i'm sorry with telling people that i moved here and they ask "why" and oh sorry, i typed "mine" and ment "power plant" AND, i do hike, backpack, and ski, but thank you for your recreational tips... grow up... i'm sorry but craig needs to take pride, and people like YOU need a chillaxitive...

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

I guess it's your mind set. If you don't want to like it here, you won't. If you take the time to get to know the people and involve yourself in this community, you might find you like it here. It's all up to you. Some of us who were raised here, went to school here, moved away from here and went to bigger towns for a while, came back here as soon as we could. It is a choice we all make. I would never have stayed in this town if I didn't like it. I could have found work anywhere and could have raised my family anywhere, but, chose to live in this town.

nedla 6 years, 5 months ago

Sadly, I don't live there anymore. I absolutely loved it there, but circumstances took me away to Florida. This place doesn't hold a candle to Craig. As for recreaction, some of the beaches here are still free to use, the rest have been built on, or declared private. I honestly cannot think of anything else that can be done for nothing more than the cost of gas to get there. I even miss the snow with all of the grief (and enjoyment) it brings. It gets cooler here late in the year, and then around April it warms up to the point that you lock yourself indoors because it's too hot to do anything (besides the beach/watersports,) outside. Way too many people here too. Each of them wanting the first spot in line to where ever it is that they think they have to be. Craig ain't Denver, or Golden, or L.A. (yet). Consider yourselves very lucky for it. I will move back 'home' one day, and rejoin the community. I voted "All of the Above", but I'd add recreation to it too. Dave Alden

dayzee 6 years, 5 months ago

I have lived here since the early 80's. Raised a few kids and survived the school system. The town is my favorite part of life. But maybe a few improvements would be nice. People moving in from big cities are bring their "big-city-attitudes". We're not a big city, so here are a few tips... Slow down, relax! Honking is rude. Driving like a mad man isn't acceptable. Being rude to others in the store doesn't help with customer service, be nice and they'll be nice back. Watch out for each other, that is what makes Craig a wonderful town. Don't forget to smile.. It does take some getting use to, but it's worth it.

kkcmsw 6 years, 5 months ago

I have to agree that Craig does need some effort put into it to spruce it up. It is a pretty dirty and run down looking town. I have lived a a few other small towns that have as much to offer as Craig and more so I see where people are frustrated by it's limitations. Now, I have no desire to live in a big city so don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing Craig to a big city. I'm comparing it to small towns that seem to have a lot of people that take pride in where they live. I've been watching this post and I have been suprised that there are not more people defending this town. Maybe that is the problem. This town has a large part of the population that has moved here due to their employment. They are just "here". There is no investment in this town and there seems to be very little from those who are here because they like Craig. It is up to the people that live here to take pride in their town and spruce up the community whether it is your own home or business. Make Craig something that you can be proud of! Anyways, I can't say I am proud of Craig and I wasn't very excited about moving here, but I do enjoy it. I like living in a small town, where I can feel safe taking my kids for walks to the park. While it seems that many of the people here have had a rough life (or they just appear that way) they are down to earth and have been decent to us. I hope that my family and I can have a positive impact in this community while we are here. Even if is just a small one.

tntangus 6 years, 5 months ago

We lived in Craig, Colorado for 12 years and were proud to call it home. Our kids did most of their school and growing up in Craig. Craig brought us opportunities that we would never have had, had we not lived there. After 12 years we moved back to Minnesota to be closer to family. Do I miss Craig, you bet, part of my heart is still there with friends. Has Craig changed, yes so has Minnesota. You can find happiness and beauty where ever you look. The mountains are awesome, it is a beauty that not everyone has. I have never seen anything prettier than spring in Craig with all the blooming trees. Another beauty is the parade of lights on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I cried the first year we were in Craig and saw that. We had just spent 3 years in Ariz. with no snow. Don't be discouraged if not everyone can see the beauty in Craig, maybe they are not looking hard enough. We have been gone over 11 years and still check the newspaper often and talk to friends from Craig. Debbie T.

jmemcse 6 years, 4 months ago

I think Craig is a really great place to live.

I always laugh when I hear people say Craig has a drug problem. Those people don't know what a drug problem is. I do. I've lived inbetween two crack houses in the inner city back east. You have absolutley no idea what it's like to have to live in your basement due to the bullets flying around out in front of your house on a nightly basis. Or having to spray the passed out drug addicts with a hose in the morning to get them out from under the bushes underneath the windows in the front of your house. Or having to see hookers all over everywhere at all hours of the day and night.

I could go on and on. I could tell you stories most of you wouldn't even believe.

Thats why I moved here to raise my kids.

I doesn't get any better than Craig America.