Should there be a program to grant driver's license regardless of legal status?

Yes, it will create a path for the 12 million undocumented immigrants to become tested, insured, and become better drivers. 29 votes

9.54%

No, it will encourage illegal immigrants to enter the U.S., create security problems, and it is a privilege for U.S. citizens that should not be changed for those here illegally. 275 votes

90.46%

304 total votes

Comments

jdsd00 6 years, 4 months ago

If a person is already illegal and not willing to go through a program to become legal, what makes you think they will get a license and pay for insurance? The whole problem is lacking the motivation to become anything American. We already have laws lets enforce them.

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

My daughter works for the DMV. Every week she turns down applicants who do not have the proper documents to get a license. The abuse she takes for this is crazy, but being a government employee, all she can do is stand there and take it. If it were her spouse abusing her like that, he could be arrested for domestic violence. Those who know her cannot believe how well she has learned to control her temper. Many applicants are not from south of the border. They have overstayed their visa's. I always wanted her to learn a second language, and she has-a second and a third, and a fourth.........Unfortunately, none of it is usable in polite company. It angers me that she is verbally attacked like this. The nicest thing she has been called is a bigot. Those that have no respect for our laws need to go home. If a person is in this country illegally, they have already shown they have no respect for the law or this country.

nikobesti 6 years, 4 months ago

jdsd00 says "illegals" will never try to get a licence, but grannyrett says they try to do so "every week." So which one is it?

Taylor 6 years, 4 months ago

I absolutely cannot understand all the controversy over this issue. Illegal is illegal. Why should ANYone in this country illegally be entitled to ANY American rights?

A few years ago, I lost my driver's license (physically, not legally). When I went to the DMV to have it replaced, I had to produce my birth certificate, marriage certificate and social security card. She also wanted a photo ID, and because I did not have my license, did accept my ski pass - just to match a photo to the name. My point is...I had to produce certified legal documents to prove my identity...I am an American born citizen...why should someone from a foreign country be permitted to waltz in, give any name they choose from a hat, show false/stolen documents and walk out with a valid driver's license?

I would like to see EVERYONE documented, but giving out driver's license is not the answer.

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

I only know what my daughter tells me about it. She has also stated that many come in with false ID's, illegal social security numbers, and expired visa's. It seems that if the DMV has access to tell that these are illegal documents, our police departments should have that access too. Again, it is not just -for want of a better word-don't call me a bigot-Mexicans. There are a lot of illegal aliens in this country, and they all need to go home and fix their country, cause I'm tired of them trashing ours.

trout2k 6 years, 4 months ago

Just wanted to point out the amount of prejudism being practiced on this page. "Don't call me a bigot, Mexicans" and something about being "American". Technically, you called yourself a "bigot" and technically, Mexicans are Americans. They come from South America. Technically, part of Colorado used to be Mexico. I am a white man. I believe people should be here legally and not be allowed to get their driver's license unless they are legal. I also believe this debate has been abused so that some people do not have to look at how screwed up they are as an individual. Please, if you have issues, addressthem yourself instead of blaming mexicans for all of your problems and scapegoating them. Hitler probably said something similar when he went after the Jewish people and did horrible things in the name of prejudism and scapegoating. IN your heart, you know it is not right.

MtnRider2 6 years, 4 months ago

Maybe we should take there picture phone number and place of residence, while there and tell them a licenes will be granted after a full back ground check by ALL goverment agences.

jmemcse 6 years, 4 months ago

I think it's fun to treat the mexicans in a sub-standard way. It makes me feel powerful, because in reality I have racial issues that must NOT be MY fault - I grew up in Detroit.

Merry Christmas.

P.S. Enjoy your drive to Walmart today.

MtnRider2 6 years, 4 months ago

I wasn't refering to just Mexican's. Point is anyone commming into this country, anyway but the front door don't belong here. And judging from the poll so far I don't stand alone. This includes students here from other countries that come and (forget) to go home.

grannyrett 6 years, 4 months ago

trout2k-I am sick of being called a bigot because I want all illegal aliens to go home. They do not belong in this country. Yes, parts of the United States once belong to Mexico, but Great Briton, France, and Spain once claimed settlements here too. If you could read, my blog said it's not just Mexicans. There are a lot of different nationalities in this country illegally. I don't care where they come from. If they do not have the proper documents, are in this country illegally, they should not have the privilege of having a drivers license.

trout2k 6 years, 3 months ago

Granny, You poor old thing. I am sorry you called yourself a bigot. If you could spell "Great Britain", I would feel I was having an intelligent debate with someone. Therefore, I am going to waste little of my time and put this in very simple verbage so maybe you will understand. 1)Your comments have some generalized statements about various nationalities....and then your bigotry turns to Mexicans. Here is what you said "Again, it is not just -for want of a better word-don't call me a bigot-Mexicans". The statement itself is an oxymoron. If you are sick of being called a bigot, then stop writing stupid stuff and take accountability for what you say. Trout

jdsd00 6 years, 3 months ago

Trout When you say "I am a white man" and call someone else a "bigot" is that not also an oxymoron or is that just contradictory? Please use your super duper intelligentance to inform us. Quit picking on people and lets just keep this to a discussion. If Granny offends you don't read it. Not everyone is right and not everyone is wrong. It's just a place to share different ideas.

trout2k 6 years, 3 months ago

jds, you are probably right. I should not pick on granny. I just get frustrated at times with various forms of prejudism that exist and I am not afraid to argue with anyone about the slightest hint of prejudism. I did find Granny's stereotyping offensive and allowed myself to behave in a hateful manner in the process instead of approaching it with patience and compassion. I wanted to make her look stupid because prejudism and stereotyping do seem stupid to me. Probably not the best solution. As for "White Man" being an oxymoron- or bigoted statement-I am not so sure. There are many cultures in this country and differences within each culture which define them. Different is often misinterpreted as wrong. The way I see it, we as a society need to work on appreciating the differences.

jdsd00 6 years, 3 months ago

I agree 100% on appreciating the differences in people. Thank you for your comment.