Photo detail

Safeway was doing brisk business the day this photograph was taken by local photographer George Welch.

Stories this photo appears in:

Tease photo

Museum of Northwest Colorado: A big-box store moves into Craig in 1929

On Oct. 1, 1929, the fairly new Safeway grocery chain opened a store in Craig in the Cowgill building at 469 Yampa Ave. The chain, which began in 1915, was built on a “no-credit and good value to the customer” system.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.