September 6, 2013
Doris Zimmerman, from left, Janet Gerber, Norman Van Dorn, Peter Van Dorn and Gwyn Rickerby pose by the newly installed memorial plaque on East 10th Street in Craig. The site was cleaned up by the local Boy Scouts group in preparation for installation of the plaque by the City of Craig Parks Department.
Stories this photo appears in:
Craig’s first unofficial “Welcome Wagon” committee was comprised of two sisters, Flora Tucker and Rosella Breeze, who moved here around 1890 when the town site was first being laid out by their brother Willard Teagarden and Flora’s husband William. The two women, noted for their kindness, strove to welcome newcomers into the close-knit frontier community, helping them to settle in and become adjusted to the remote area with its rigorous climate.