February 18, 2011
Pictured here is the Moffat County Courthouse in 1918. Moffat County was formed in February 1911 and for the first six years, the county operated out of a building at the corner of Breeze Street and Main Street, which is now Victory Way. The new courthouse was completed in 1917 and Craig photographer George Welch took this photo of the newly completed structure.
Stories this photo appears in:
David Moffat never stepped foot inside the county that would eventually bear his name. In fact, the industrial tycoon wasn’t much concerned with the area. Rather, he merely wanted his railroad to pass through Craig on its way to Salt Lake City. But, the endeavor left Moffat nearly broke and halted the line in Craig.