August 20, 2011
This image, by photographer George Welch, depicts the First National Bank building, constructed in 1916 to 1917. The building, at 506 Yampa Ave., was designed to accommodate the bank, as well as the J. W. Hugus Company, a dry goods store. For many years, the second floor served as the local Masonic meeting hall. A variety of tenants have occupied the building, including a military school associated with the Army Signal Corps, on the second floor. Retail businesses include J.C. Penney Co., Glassburn’s Mens Store, Craig Drugs, Barrett’s Mens Store and, since the mid-1980s, the Bargain Barn.