Photo detail

Craig Fire/Rescue crews extinguish a blaze at a residence early Thursday morning at 333 Taylor St. Chief Bill Johnston said the fire was started by the failure of a wood pellet stove and damaged about 25 percent of the home. The blaze, which damaged the house inside and out, flared up several times after it was initially controlled.

Stories this photo appears in:

Tease photo

Stove causes house fire in Craig

Craig Fire/Rescue Chief Bill Johnston was the first on the scene early Thursday morning. He took quick note of what his fire department would be faced with over the next several hours — a large fire quickly consuming both floors of a home south of Craig City Hall. “That always presents a certain type of danger, that if you send entry crews in, the floor and stairways leading up to the second floor sometimes are compromised,” he said of having both floors of the house at 333 Taylor St. ablaze. “That’s how firefighters are injured or killed is falling through floors or roofs falling in on them.”

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.