William E. “Pinger” Pings
February 20, 2012
William E. "Pinger" Pings died Thursday, Feb. 9, 2012. He was 76.
He was born Feb. 27, 1935, in Carbondale, to Amy W. and M. Stanley Pings. After graduating from Carbondale High School in 1953, he joined the Navy and served as a fire control technician on the U.S.S. Vesole.
After leaving the Navy, he worked at the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System sites at Thule Air Base in Greenland and Clear Air Force Station in Alaska.
Pinger then returned to Colorado to attend the University of Northern Colorado, where he received his bachelor's degree in mathematics, only to later go back to Clear, Alaska, to work on the BMEWS site as a computer technician.
While in Alaska, he enjoyed fishing, flying his two airplanes, and "swapping lies" with his many buddies. He returned to Colorado in 1991.
No services will be held, but feel free to share condolences at http://www.allveterans.com. Those seeking more information may contact the family directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended Stories For You
- Update: Winter Valley Fire burns 3,500 acres, Deerlodge residents evacuated in western Moffat County
- New hotel owners plan big improvements
- Weekend fires ravage family home, Cedar Mountain in Moffat County
- Woman chases tenant with pole: On the Record for Sept. 14, 15
- Moffat County 4-H aims high, shoots straight at state