George Malcolm Medlen
February 3, 2012
George Malcolm Medlen, of Craig, died Thursday, Jan. 26, 2012, in Craig.
He was 85.
He was born Oct. 16, 1926, in Cold Springs, Ky., to Edward and Lillian Medlen.
He spent his childhood in Kentucky and Colorado, and left school at age 14 to go to work so he could help his family.
He married Elva Pearl Medlen in 1943 in Craig.
George was a World War II veteran and received a Purple Heart while serving on the USS Colorado.
He and his uncle built the first electronic slot machine and sold many of them in Nevada.
He was a power lineman for most of his working life and was a foreman for many years.
He enjoyed fishing and hunting.
George was preceded in death by both of his parents and his wife. He is survived by his daughter, Saundra Hammack; brother Richard Medlen; sister Betty; grandson Brian; granddaughter Cheny; and two great-granddaughters.
A viewing took place Sunday Jan. 29, 2012, at Grant Mortuary. Final disposition was at Fort Logan in Denver.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Man who died in Yampa River identified as Steamboat Springs IT worker
- Missing eyebrow: On the record for May 19, 20
- Craig ready for a grand old time this weekend with Grand Old West Days
- Bear tries to break into doughnut delivery vehicle in Steamboat Springs
- Moffat County’s ‘Dude’ Dent, Outstanding Female Athlete nominees — Hugo Hernandez, Mattie Jo Duzik