George Malcolm Medlen
February 3, 2012
George Malcolm Medlen, of Craig, died Thursday, Jan. 26, 2012, in Craig.
He was 85.
He was born Oct. 16, 1926, in Cold Springs, Ky., to Edward and Lillian Medlen.
He spent his childhood in Kentucky and Colorado, and left school at age 14 to go to work so he could help his family.
He married Elva Pearl Medlen in 1943 in Craig.
George was a World War II veteran and received a Purple Heart while serving on the USS Colorado.
He and his uncle built the first electronic slot machine and sold many of them in Nevada.
He was a power lineman for most of his working life and was a foreman for many years.
He enjoyed fishing and hunting.
George was preceded in death by both of his parents and his wife. He is survived by his daughter, Saundra Hammack; brother Richard Medlen; sister Betty; grandson Brian; granddaughter Cheny; and two great-granddaughters.
A viewing took place Sunday Jan. 29, 2012, at Grant Mortuary. Final disposition was at Fort Logan in Denver.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Update: Winter Valley Fire burns 3,500 acres, Deerlodge residents evacuated in western Moffat County
- Update: Winter Valley Fire grows to 6,400 acres near Elk Springs, Cross Mountain in western Moffat County
- Consultants provide Craig parents with data to inform school closure process
- Economic development board supports ballot measures 2A, 5A
- Moffat County suicides drop to zero; access to care increasing, barriers still remain