Youths recognized during 4-H event
November 7, 2009
The annual 4-H Achievement Night was Oct. 29 at the Moffat County High School Auditorium.
An inspirational talk by Sam Glenn was followed by an awards program. The event marked the end of the 2009 4-H year.
Besides 4-H members and their families, attendees included members of the Moffat County Commission, 4-H Foundation, Fair Board, and 4-H Advisory Committee.
Also present were several buyers, supporters, donors, and voluntary leaders.
The Outstanding 4-H Member of the year is April Etheridge.
In the past year, she attended State Conference, LDC, District Retreat and many county level activities. She was also Senior Queen at the county fair. She is active in market beef, beef breeding and market sheep projects.
Recommended Stories For You
The Outstanding 4-H Leader of the year was Robert Aaberg. He's a 12-year leader who puts in countless hours with project members.
Makayla Goodnow was the Master of Ceremonies for the awards program.
Besides Outstanding 4-H Member and 4-H Leader, the following awards were presented:
• Fashion Revue: The awards were for young people who excelled in the area of fashion and clothing construction.
— Grand Champion: Abigail Gonzales
— Reserve Champion: Emma Balstad
— Clothing Construction: Mattie Jo Duzik
• Outstanding General Projects Awards: These awards were presented to exhibitors of General Projects that earned Grand and Reserve Champion in each section at Completion Day during the fair.
—Junior Champion: Mark Nava
— Junior Reserve Champion: Riley Allen
— Intermediate Champion: Dakota Lee
— Intermediate Reserve Champion: Colton Hinkemeyer
— Senior Champion: Wyatt Oberwitte
— Senior Reserve Champion: Clara Hickman
• Consumer Science:
— Junior Champion: Sarah VanGrandt
— Junior Reserve Champion: Mikayla Quinn
—Intermediate Champion: Abigail Gonzales and Erica Dilldine
— Intermediate Reserve Champion: Hannah Beckett
— Senior Reserve Champion: Faith Jones
• Communication, Arts & Leisure Sciences:
— Junior Champion: Colt Eckhoff
— Junior Reserve Champion: Summer Ossen
— Intermediate Champion: Will Pilgrim
• Shooting Sports Awards: The High Point Shooting Sports awards include project score and shooting score.
— Senior Grand Champion: Justin Willems
— Senior Reserve Champion: Curtis Tuck
— Junior Grand Champion: Natasha Sloan
— Junior Reserve Champion: Dakota Lee
• Air Pistol:
— Grand Champion: Austin Lee
— Reserve Champion: Dakota Lee
— Senior Grand Champion: Clara Hickman
— Senior Reserve Champion: Jhaton King
— Junior Grand Champion: Cutter Polly
— Junior Reserve Champion: Tiffany Schulze
— Senior Grand Champion: Wyatt Oberwitte
— Junior Grand Champion: Tyler Gerber
• Outstanding Dog Exhibitor: This award is given for a composition of points earned through obedience score, showmanship score and record book.
— Faith Santistevan
• Best Photo Awards: As part of the photography project, the judges at fair awarded Grand Champion Best Photo.
— Junior Grand Champion: Mikayla Quinn
— Intermediate Grand Champion: Will Pilgrim
— Intermediate Reserve Champion: Brooklyn Barber
• Outstanding Poultry and Rabbit Exhibitors: These awards are given for a composition of points that 4-H members earn through attendance of meetings, extra 4-H activities, demonstrations, participation in shows and fair and record book score.
— Outstanding Poultry Exhibitor: Ashleigh Santistevan
— Outstanding Rabbit Exhibitor: Will Pilgrim
• Breeding Sheep, Goat, and Beef Awards: These are based on class placing, showmanship and record book.
— Breeding Sheep Award: Jerica DeLong
— Breeding Goat Award: Karissa Maneotis
— Breeding Beef Award: Mackenzie Camblin
• Outstanding Angus Exhibitor: This annual award is presented by the Gerber Family to recognize the top Angus exhibitor. Points are given for showmanship, breeding beef class placing, market beef class placing and record book score.
— Outstanding Angus Exhibitor: Miranda Blomquist
• Homegrown Market Beef Award: This annual award is presented by the Prather Family to recognize a youth who has raised and shown a market steer from his or her own herd. Points are awarded for class placing, carcass placing and rate of gain score.
— Homegrown Market Beef Award: Cutter Barnes
• Supreme Market Beef, Swine, Goat, and Lamb Awards: These awards are based on class placing, rate of gain and carcass contest scores.
— Supreme Market Beef Award: Cutter Barnes. (Cutter placed second in class, ninth in rate of gain, and third in carcass contest.)
— Supreme Market Swine Award: Drake Zimmerman (Drake placed third in class, 10th in rate of gain and first in carcass contest.)
— Supreme Market Goat Award: Marissa Butler (Marissa placed fifth in class, second in rate of gain and first in carcass contest.)
— Supreme Market Lamb Award: Morgan Flanders (Morgan placed fifth in class, third in rate of gain and second in carcass contest.)
More 4-H Achievement Night awards will be published next week.
Copyright Diane Prather, 2009.