Police to register ATVs, OHVs Thursday and Friday | CraigDailyPress.com

Police to register ATVs, OHVs Thursday and Friday

Nicole Inglis

— Proponents of a city ordinance allowing all-terrain and off-highway vehicles on city streets still have one more step to take before they can freely drive their machines on the road.

All ATVs must be registered with the Craig Police Department before they can be driven on public roads when the ordinance takes effect Friday.

The Police Department will host open registration events from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday and 9 a.m. to noon Friday to accommodate what police officials think will be a large turnout of ATV enthusiasts.

ATV owners must bring their vehicles to the Moffat County Public Safety Center during these times, along with proof of insurance, ownership and $25 in registration fees.

Craig Police Commander Jerry Delong said qualifying owners will be issued a registration sticker similar to what Colorado State Parks requires for riding on public land.

More importantly, he said, owners need to have the correct insurance to be eligible for registration.

Recommended Stories For You

He said many ATV owners have recreational vehicle insurance but are not covered for driving on public roadways.

With the adamant support for the ordinance seen at past City Council meetings, Delong said the Police Department is prepared for a large turnout of ATV users.

Subsequently, he said drivers in Craig need to be prepared for seeing the machines on city streets and sharing the road with them.

"The best driver is the defensive driver," he said. "You just have to make sure everything's safe while you're going down the road."

To ensure the safety of the community, the ordinance requires those who drive ATVs on city streets to be more than 18 years old and have a valid driver's license.

The vehicles must be outfitted with safety equipment such as a headlamp, taillights, reflectors, horn, muffler and rearview mirror.

Delong also said the police department is preparing to enforce all traffic laws the same for every vehicle on city streets.

Delong said if a traffic accident involves an ATV and a car, insurance claims and citations will work the same way as if it were two cars.

Also, the same laws about driving under the influence will apply to ATV drivers.

"If we do catch someone under the influence, we'll charge them that way like we would any other driver," he said.

Delong added it will ultimately be up to the community to keep alert while driving and be aware of the new vehicles.

"It's going to take the motoring public a while to get used to seeing ATVs on the roadways," he said.

If you go

What: ATV and OHV registration

for driving on city streets

Where: Moffat County

Public Safety Center

When: 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday,

9 a.m. to noon Friday

Details: Residents should bring a valid driver’s license, proof of ownership, vehicle identification number, proof of insurance and $25 to pay the city fee.

Go back to article