Moffat County Commission recap for May 26
May 26, 2015
Moffat County commissioners did the following Tuesday morning at their weekly meeting:
During general discussion:
• Received an update from Commissioner Chuck Grobe regarding the upcoming Air Quality Control Commission summer retreat on July 17, 18 and 19 in Craig. Grobe said a public comment period will take place from 7 to 9 p.m. July 18 at the Moffat County Fairgrounds Pavilion, 640 E. Victory Way.
"This is an opportunity for us to tell the Air Quality Control Commission what Northwest Colorado's thoughts are," he said.
Grobe also mentioned a proposition from Shawn Bolton, Rio Blanco County Commissioner, urging the National Association of Counties to enact legislation that would return 20 percent of federal mineral leasing revenue to the county of origin.
• Reminded the public that the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement will be holding a meeting for public comment regarding Colowyo Mine's environmental analysis. The meeting will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. June 10 at the Center of Craig, 601 Yampa Ave.
Recommended Stories For You
"It's very important that we as a community be there and testify to get our comments and points of view recorded," Moffat County Commissioner Frank Moe said.
• Asked Roy Tipton, director of Moffat County Development Services, for an update regarding the Shadow Mountain project. Tipton said rain over the holiday weekend put construction four to five days behind schedule.
• Informed attendees that Rep. Scott Tipton, R-Colorado, will be in Craig June 29 for a public forum at Moffat County Fairgrounds. The time of the meeting is uncertain, but will be published.
• Heard from Steve Raftopoulos concerning the potential changing landscape of agricultural visa workers. According to Raftopoulos, pending federal legislation is poised to harm the sheep and cattle industry in Northwest Colorado. The commissioners signed a letter opposing the legislation.
• Approved a special events liquor license for a beer garden at Whittle the Wood Rendezvous in June