Michelle Balleck: Classic autumn activities on the agenda
October 11, 2011
Weekend movie show times
29 E. Victory Way
“Moneyball” — Rated PG-13; 7 and 9:05 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 4 and 7 p.m. Sunday
“Footloose” — Rated PG-13; 7 and 9:05 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 4 and 7 p.m. Sunday
Tickets: $7 for ages 10 and older, $5 for ages 9 and younger
Sunday matinee: $5 for ages 10 and older, $4 for ages 9 and younger
Things that say fall: eating plenty of food, looking ahead to the holidays, football, pumpkins and hunting. And there's a bit of each on the agenda for this weekend.
• Local officials and business leaders will don aprons and take your orders this weekend.
The Golden Cavvy, 538 Yampa Ave., will host its second annual fundraiser for Christmas for Kids from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday.
There will also be live music and drawings.
Call 824-6038 for more info., or head on down for a meal, a laugh and a good cause.
• Thank you, Cortners, who will once again be giving out gobs of free pumpkins to area youths this weekend.
In Craig, get your kiddo one beginning at 8 a.m. Saturday at Homemaker Furnishings, 468 Ranney St.
In Meeker, pumpkins are available on Friday afternoon on the Rio Blanco County Courthouse lawn.
In Baggs, Wyo., pumpkins are at Little Snake River Valley School on Thursday.
Call 826-2706 if you need more info.
• Dinner and a show.
That's on tap at Bella Voce Show Chorus' Masquerade Diva Dinner at 7 p.m. Friday at the Moffat County Fairgrounds Pavilion.
The event includes dinner, a dessert bar and a cabaret-style show followed by dancing. Dress up to make it even more fun.
Tickets are $40 per person or $25 for students 25 and younger. Get yours from Jeana Womble at 629-9244.
• Slurp up the soup at a supper with dessert from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at First Congregational Church, 630 Green St.
It's just $6.
For details, call Jan at 824-4136.
• Keep your house cozy this winter with tips on energy efficiency at the monthly 5:05 Drinks from 5:05 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday at J.W. Snack's Bar & Grill, 210 E. Victory Way.
Yampa Valley Data Partners hosts the event, which is free and includes appetizers and drink specials.
Call 824-1133 to find out more.
• Grab a blue hoodie and cheer on the Bulldogs this weekend.
At 7 p.m. Friday, the Moffat County High School varsity football team plays Battle Mountain High School at MCHS, 900 Finley Lane.
At 1 p.m. Saturday, the MCHS boys varsity soccer team plays Palisade High School at Loudy-Simpson Park, 500 S. Ranney St.
• Hunter sight-ins begin this week at the Bears Ears Sportsman Club Cedar Mountain Range, on Moffat County Road 7 about five miles north of Murdoch's Ranch & Home Supply.
Sight-ins are scheduled for Thursday and Friday. The range opens at 9 a.m.
Call Howdy at 824-6109 or 629-8550 or Andy at 824-8407.
• Build your business with help from the Craig/Moffat Economic Development Partnership.
CMEDP hosts the Small Business Resource Fair from 8 to 10 a.m. today, followed by presentations by economist Carl Steidtmann and state demographer Elizabeth Garner from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. today at the Moffat County Fairgrounds Pavilion. The latter costs $15 and includes lunch.
From 6:30 to 9 p.m. Thursday, CMEDP the hosts "First steps — How to start a business 101" in the second floor meeting room of the Moffat County Courthouse, 221 W. Victory Way.
To get more info. or to register for these events, call Darcy Owens-Trask at 826-2039.
• West Theatre is getting in "Moneyball" and the new release of the classic "Footloose" this week.
New at Redbox this week are "Zookeeper," "X-Men: First Class," "Beautiful Boy" and some older and unknown titles.