From Pipi’s Pasture: December at Pipi’s Pasture
December 11, 2015
Officially, winter doesn't start for another week-and-a-half or so, but it's winter to me. I have written about all of the other times of the year so I can't help but think about December. Here's what's going on at Pipi's Pasture this December…
• There isn't much snow, but the ground is covered (after the warm temperatures yesterday, the snow is crusted), and it seems that every inch of it has cow, deer, and/or cat footprints on it.
• It always seems that there is an extra "bite" to the cold temperatures in December, and this year is no different.
• It's light enough to do chores about 6:45 a.m. — later when it's cloudy.
• On clear nights we're treated to a beautiful moon.
• The outside lights on the trees and houses make the neighborhood look festive.
Recommended Stories For You
• Because of the extra light from decorations, it's easier to see the shadows of the cows as they wander around the feedlot at night.
• Lots of little sparrows perch in the trees, filling the air with song when the days are warm.
• The deer that are around all of the time have taken to coming up on the patio at night to eat the cat food. (I wonder if these are the same deer that ate my marigolds this past summer?)
• Cars and pickup trucks loaded with Christmas trees pass by the house.
• In our house there's a strange combination of fall and winter decorations — a work in progress.
• One lone magpie chatters as he hunts out grain that Ucky, my old cow that is being fed extra this winter, has pushed out of her pan.
• The winter tires are finally on my car.
• The boot warmer is getting a workout.
• Although I got by wearing tennis shoes outdoors in November, now it's "snowboots-only" weather.
• Cats perch on the edge of stock tanks to get a drink of warm water; sometimes they dip their paws in the water and then lick it off. They also get warm water when I feed them on the patio in the mornings.
That's how it is at Pipi's Pasture in December, and in the blink of an eye it will be January 2016.