From Pipi’s Pasture: Being thankful for many blessings
November 27, 2015
One afternoon this past week while I was waiting for the stock tank to fill — when I do some of my best thinking — I thought about my reasons to be grateful. Some people reflect on reasons to be thankful during the Thanksgiving holiday, but I connect my reflections more with the time of the year. After all, it's the end to a busy season.
Calving is over, the cattle are home from summer pasture, calves have been sold, and so on. Even though there is still feeding to be done, there's more time to relax during the snowy months.
So, I thought about the many things in my life for which I'm grateful. Among them are the following. I'm grateful …
• for all of the years I got to spend with Pipi.
• that I have other cows to enjoy, including my twins and two older cows, Ucky and Sarah.
• for lots of grass in 2015.
Recommended Stories For You
• for all the water that kept summer pasture ponds filled longer than usual.
• that we didn't have a wildfire at Pipi's Pasture during the summer.
• for all of the squash, beans, peppers, pumpkins and other garden crops.
• for tank heaters to keep the stock tank water melted so I don't have to chop ice in the mornings, and he cattle can enjoy ice-free water all day.
• for the sunshine that not only warms things up but makes everyone/everything feel good.
• for a hot cup of coffee to start the day.
• for warm socks.
• that the cows haven't knocked me down — with their shoving and pushing — on the feedlot so
• that we didn't lose any calves in 2015.
• for the "barn cats" that help keep the rodents down (although they did let a pack rat and mouse get into the house this year for the first time ever).
• for beautiful summer flowers, like my Prairie Flowers (which are really violas).
• for all of the people who help with the cattle, who do fence repair, put up hay, haul hay, doctor sick animals and so much more.
• for the many things that animals around here do that make me laugh.
• for my wonderful family; they make everything worthwhile, and I adore them.
• for my wonderful friends and people I work with.
• for the privilege to write "From Pipi's Pasture."