Firefighters battle mobile home blaze in Maybell
Town residents begin assistance effort for man who lost his home
December 7, 2011
“The Maybell community is coordinating an effort to help Dan, you bet. We’ve got a collection container set up at the Maybell Store and a couple of people have offered to donate furniture and canned goods just as soon as Daniel finds a place to live.”
— Lois Stoffle, a Maybell resident, on 67-year-old Daniel Manley, who lost his home in a fire Wednesday
Craig Fire/Rescue firefighters responded to a mobile home fire Wednesday afternoon in Maybell, about 30 miles west of Craig.
Daniel Manley, 67, was trying to thaw water pipes with a propane heater at 347 Collom St., when he noticed smoke coming out of the walls, the fire department reported.
Manley left his home with the only possession he was able to save — his cell phone — and dialed 911.
The Maybell Volunteer Fire Department was first on the scene with an engine and three firefighters. Maybell fire officials requested assistance from Craig Fire/Rescue.
Two fire department engines arrived on the scene at approximately 2:35 p.m., about 25 minutes after Manley reported the blaze, to find much of the 14-by-68-foot trailer engulfed in flames.
Craig Fire/Rescue Chief Bill Johnston also responded and directed firefighting efforts.
Firefighters immediately began battling the blaze by busting out windows and dousing the fire with water, while Moffat County Sheriff's Office deputies set up a perimeter.
Firefighters worked to keep flames from igniting a full propane tank located a few feet from Manley's front door.
A tanker arrived minutes later and served in a support role. Fire crews had the blaze fully contained by approximately 3:30 p.m.
Officials at the scene said Manley lived alone and he was the only one in the home when it ignited. No injuries have been reported, but officials said Manley's home was a total loss.
Also reporting to the scene were sheriff's deputies, The Memorial Hospital in Craig's Emergency Medical Services, and the Colorado State Patrol.
Craig Fire/Rescue Capt. Troy Hampton said Thursday that Maybell Volunteer firefighters were paged back to the scene Wednesday night to put out hot spots that had reignited the blaze.
No further damage or injuries were reported.
Maybell resident Lois Stoffle said the community is rallying behind its neighbor.
"The Maybell community is coordinating an effort to help Dan, you bet," Stoffle said. "We've got a collection container set up at the Maybell Store and a couple of people have offered to donate furniture and canned goods just as soon as Daniel finds a place to live."
Stoffle said a number of community members offered to take Manley in.
He is currently staying with Maybell resident Paul Robinson.
"He's a very nice young gentleman," Stoffle said of Robinson. "It was very nice of him to offer."