Craig health center offers needed care ‘under one roof’
Division of the VNA recognizing National Health Center Week
August 6, 2010
The Northwest Colorado Community Health Center in Craig will recognize National Health Center Week, which begins Sunday and ends Aug. 14.
The week is designed to raise awareness about health centers across the country. The health center in Craig is a division of the Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association.
"Every day in our waiting rooms, I witness the value of having a health care home," health center Director Gisela Garrison said in a news release. "When people have a place to go for regular care, they use it and stay healthy.
"We provide quality, affordable primary care to the community and our affiliation with the (VNA) gives our patients access to so much more. Our patients not only get the care they need under one roof, but they are treated as individuals, with dignity and respect. This is what health care should be and what we celebrate during National Health Center Week."
Below are some facts about the Northwest Colorado Community Health Center, according to the news release:
• More than 2,200 community members visited the center for health care in the first six months of this year.
Recommended Stories For You
• All services are offered on a sliding fee scale based on income. Private insurance, Medicaid and Medicare are also accepted.
• The center offers same-day and next-day appointments for many "urgent" situations.
• Eighty-three percent of the health center's patients are from Moffat County, 13 percent are from Routt County and the remaining 6 percent are from surrounding counties and Wyoming.
• A nurse speaks with more than 150 people per month to help them determine if they need to see a doctor immediately.
• In the first six months of 2010, the health center helped 97 clients get $130,923 in prescription drug assistance.
• The health center employs two physicians, two physician assistants, a nurse practitioner, five medical assistants, two behavioral health counselors and several administrative staff members.
• A health center remodeling project is underway to provide six more exam rooms. Funding for the remodeling was provided by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
For more information on the Northwest Colorado Community Health Center or to make an appointment, call 824-8233.