Craig City Council recap for Oct. 13
October 13, 2015
Craig City Council conducted the following business at its bi-monthly meeting on Tuesday night:
Consent agenda:Consent agenda:
• Approved a hotel and restaurant liquor license for Gino's, 527 Breeze St.
Recommended Stories For You
• Declared October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month, joining the county in an effort to combat domestic abused.
• Discussed economic development and organizational roles with representatives from of Craig Chamber of Commerce, Moffat County Tourism Association and Craig/Moffat Economic Development Partnership.
The three boards spent two days discussing functions and how to work together in an efficient manner while avoiding overlap, an effort spurred by the strive for economic development in Craig and Moffat County.
"Thank you very much for taking those steps and it sounds like you got a lot going," Councilmember Joe Bird said.
• Received an update on the progress of promoting the formation of a local marketing district in Moffat County from Dave DeRose, Craig resident and former owner of Masterworks Mechanical with support from Dave Fleming, president of Yampa Valley Bank's Craig branch and Kirstie McPherson, Craig local and LMD public relations promoter.
DeRose said there are clear signs of Craig and Moffat County's poor economic health, such as anomalies in sales and property tax revenue, and the area needs to do more to take care of itself.
For treatment, DeRose emphasized supporting the measures on November's ballot — 5A to create a LMD, and 1A and 2A to allow public participation in the development of telecommunication infrastructure.
"The reason you do economic development…is so you can watch your grandchildren grow up," said DeRose. "Without a thriving a community, you don't watch your grandchildren come back."
The council supported DeRose's dissertation.
Other business:Other business:
• Adopted a resolution endorsing ballot measure 5A and the creation of a Local Marketing District in Moffat County.
• Approved Craig Police Department's 10-year sublease of office space at the Moffat County Public Safety Center.
• Awarded a bid Sloop Enterprises, Inc., for the North Clarifier Recoating Project in the amount $49,472. Three bids were considered and Sloop's was the lowest.
Staff reports:Staff reports:
Craig Police Department Chief Walf Vanatta said Moffat County High School's resource officer has been exceptionally busy.
Reach Patrick Kelly at 970-875-1795 or Reach Patrick Kelly at 970-875-1795 or email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @M_PKelly.Reach Patrick Kelly at 970-875-1795 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @M_PKelly.