CMS investigating packing peanut ingestion incident
November 10, 2011
Craig Middle School administrators are investigating a Nov. 3 incident in which students reportedly ate packing peanuts during a science class, Principal Bill Toovey said Wednesday.
Jennifer Riley, chief of organizational excellence at The Memorial Hospital, confirmed Tuesday that three people were seen at the hospital's emergency room Nov. 3 for ingesting packing peanuts but were not hospitalized. However, neither Riley nor Toovey confirmed if these patients were students involved in the incident.
Parents of the students involved were contacted and the students "were put into the parents' care," Toovey said.
A parent of one of the students declined to comment about the incident.
It is still unclear why the students ingested the packing peanuts. The incident took place "during a class where a learning activity was ongoing," Toovey said, but declined to comment on what role, if any, CMS educators had in the incident.
Toovey said he was "not at liberty at this point" to disclose the number of students who were involved or what grade they were in.
"I just want to finish this (investigation) up and have that opportunity to visit with parents before any other comment," he said.
School officials are still looking into the incident and plan to complete their investigation "as quickly as possible," he said. Once the investigation is completed, school officials plan to meet with parents.
"We're looking at the investigation," he said. "We want to be as thorough as possible."
Click here to have the print version of the Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.