Cars collide Saturday on Highway 40 |

Back to: News

Cars collide Saturday on Highway 40

Drivers transported to TMH in Craig for treatment

Two vehicles collided at about 3:33 p.m. Saturday on U.S. Highway 40, about four miles east of Craig.

The drivers of the two vehicles — a 17-year-old Colorado Springs resident and 28-year-old Craig resident Gladis Anel Soto Aragon — were transported to The Memorial Hospital in Craig with "serious but non-life threatening injuries," according to a news release from the Colorado State Patrol.

TMH spokeswoman Samantha Johnston said the 17 year old was treated and released Saturday. Aragon had not been released as of Sunday afternoon, but Johnston listed her condition as fair.

The 17 year old was driving a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix east when he entered the westbound lane and collided head-on with Aragon, who was driving a 1998 Oldsmobile Alero near mile marker 97, the state patrol reported.

After the impact, the Colorado Springs teen's vehicle rotated counterclockwise and came to rest facing west. Aragon's vehicle rotated counterclockwise off the north side of the roadway and came to rest facing east, according to the news release.

Both drivers were wearing seatbelts at the time. Drugs and alcohol are not suspected as a factor in the crash, according to the release.

Craig Fire/Rescue Chief Bill Johnston said both drivers were extricated from their vehicles. Johnston said it took firefighters 36 minutes to extract the drivers.

Johnston said both drivers were conscious at the time of extrication, but were unable to walk.

Johnston said he assigned a fire engine and an ambulance to each vehicle.

Three Craig Fire/Rescue engines, 14 firefighters and two hospital ambulances responded to the call, Johnston said. Other agencies at the scene included the Moffat County Sheriff's Office and the Colorado Division of Transportation, Johnston said.

Johnston said there were no fires caused by the accident. Firefighters cleaned up vehicle fluids spilled as a result of the crash, he said.

Firefighters left the scene about 5:30 p.m., Johnston said.