Backhoe blaze breaks fireless streak in county
November 21, 2000
The Craig Fire/Rescue got some action in what has been a quiet winter for firemen. A backhoe, which was in an equipment storage building owned by Duran and Pierce Construction Compan caught fire at 6:20 a.m. Wednesday. The fire caused more than $30,000 in damage.
Fire Chief Roy Mason said that the fire was most likely caused by a problem with the machine’s wiring.
“The ignition switch was in the on position, which could have caused enough heat to ignite it,” Mason said.
Mason said that the backhoe was so heavily damaged, it was most likely a total loss.
Jim Duran, owner of Duran and Pierce Construction, agreed.
“It (the backhoe) was completely damaged,” he said. “Structurally, the building is pretty well shot. The whole building may have to come down. It was a pretty good fire, anyway.”
Recommended Stories For You
The heat from the fire damaged equipment next to the backhoe and a steal reinforcement beam that was above the backhoe. The damage to the beam may have made the building unsound, Mason said. The building is located at 504 Stock Dr.
No injuries were reported.
Phoenix Insurance Company will be in Craig later today to investigate the fire, which Mason said was a normal for an equipment fire.
Two engines, one ladder truck and one utility truck responded to the fire.
Duran said the fire department did an excellent job of preventing any further damage.
“They were amazing,” Duran said.
Duran didn’t let the fire dampen his spirits too much. He remains positive about the future of the company.
“We’ll just rebuild and carry on,” Duran said.
Mason said the fire department had a relatively quiet winter until Tuesday’s call.
“It was our first call in 12 days,” Mason said. “Any call in cold weather like this is a little more difficult.”
Even though the crew was a little bit rusty, Mason said they did an excellent job on scene.
“Any time we don’t get anybody hurt, or make a parking lot, we’re doing good,” Mason said.