HVAC contractors from across the state headed to Craig on Tuesday to take a three-day course to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Colorado HVAC contractors, who work with air conditioning, heating and other appliances, got a chance to learn about the ways to monitor and prevent the harmful emissions that can come from appliances.
Jim Davis, carbon monoxide combustion trainer with the National Comfort Institute, taught the class, just as he has all over the country for more than 35 years.
“We’re trying to keep consumers from dying,” he said.
By showing contractors how to incorporate monoxide testing into their everyday routine, Davis said lives could be saved.
“Good alarms aren’t alarms, they’re monitors,” he said.
Poisoning is still a dangerous element, so crucial for contractors to monitor, Davis said.
“”Every week there’s a poisoning in schools,” Davis said.
Dave DeRose, owner of Masterworks Mechanical, brought the training to Craig because it was an important class for his class and contractors everywhere, he said.
He found grants to fund the course and the tuition for all the contractors who made their way out, DeRose said.
“That pays the tuition for all these guys to come,” he said.
The classes are something DeRose implements into his business practice.
“We got a furnace checklist we do that’s based on this training,” he said.
Contact Erin Fenner at 970-875-1794 or firstname.lastname@example.org.