Kevin Loughran: Thanks MCHS coaches

I am writing to thank coach Hafey, coach Scranton and the rest of the coaching staff for their hard work and dedication throughout the years. My four years at MoCo High were a highlight in my life and can be attributed to that football field and the coaches’ involvement.

These coaches have taught me very valuable lessons, for which I can’t thank them enough. What disgruntled parents don’t see is all the hard work they do year round and the sacrifices they have made with their wives and children. They do it for the players and the love of the game because god knows the district isn’t paying them six figures. I find that being made to resign over an investigation that isn’t complete and finding out via the radio is unjust.

I know for a fact that this football program has had policies in place for hazing since coach Hafey’s first year as a coach. This also was stated very clearly to us as seniors (if we were to touch an underclassmen at any point no matter our name or family ties, we were to hand in our jersey and be done). Why aren’t the coaches allowed to discipline within their program, which is specifically there to protect the underclassmen? This gave us as upperclassmen an incentive and that was to leave a legacy with these underclassmen that should be carried on for years.

You can’t entirely blame the coaches for the incidents that happened in Wyoming as they can’t hold hands every second and by no means should it cost them their jobs. However, I do think the acts that were committed by individuals relieves them of the privilege to wear the Bulldog uniform this year. This brings me to my next point — I find it very fishy, from all the way on the eastern slope, that hidden agendas of a few parents and district members have affected coaches and teachers. What precedent are you trying to set? I don’t see coaches/teachers knocking down the door and lining up to come to Craig. This leaves every staff member open to dismissal when incidents occur behind their back.

So I ask you this: Where are these coaches/teachers willing to take on this job and get berated by parents because their child lacks the talent needed to be on a competitive team? You only are giving your child crutches in life by exploiting coaches and telling your kids they are the best to ever play the game. You should not be asking the coach why your child gets less playing time, instead ask how you as a parent can make them better. What ever happened to working for your position because that is the way the real world is. Remember, as parents you can point a finger but there are always three pointing right back at you. These coaches have done everything they possibly can to make your child better. Who gets up at 5 a.m and opens the weight room or in the evenings helps run drills? That is coach Hafey and coach Scranton and the rest of the staff. These coaches deserve much more for their dedication to Moffat County and the community of Craig.

Kevin Loughran

MCHS Alum 06 Centennial

Comments

brad winder 2 months, 1 week ago

I agree with Kevin. For along time now the Moffat county athletics has been plagued with over zealous parents and under dedicated players. Letting every kid play no matter their skill level does nobody any good. It really worked out for last years girls volleyball program didn't it? Not! This, don't leave any child behind mentality doesn't work in sports,if you want to be competitive and be one of the better programs. If you want your kid to play, make him better. Get out their when they're young and throw a ball to them , teach them the game. Teach them if they want to get better that it takes work and dedication. They can't just pick up a ball the first day of practice and expect to be at their full potential. Most coaching staff want to win. Most play their best players to win, but unfortunately some play kids that don't have the skills to compete because of parent pressure, a buddy's kid (don't want to hurt my friend's feeling) and other similar reasons. What ever happened to being competitive and being the best you can be? This playing to just to have fun and not being competitive mentality is B.S. If Moffat County high school sports programs want to be better then the athletes need to get better. They need to get out and play , get out of the house off the video games. Get out and play the sport they like with friends, get some pick up games going. Parents need to encourage, help, teach and participate in their development. Maybe if they did this their kids would be better and they won't bitch that their kids aren't playing when they're on a team. If the kid wants to play then motivate them to get better, not every kid is going to be a starter at first but if he wants to ,then he or she will want to do the things that make them better. Coaches can make athletes better but it's better if the kid has some skills and aren't behind in their development.

David Moore 2 months, 1 week ago

From my understanding, this issue is not about "being better", it is about hazing out of control. Bags filled with urine being thrown at other human beings and other despicable acts that were going on in the showers is what this is all about. Don't try and twist it into something it is not, it was criminal and that is the bottom line. If I were a parent of one of these kids, I would take this all the way through the legal system until it could go no more. Is your way of motivating kids to do better consist of torture? I agree with some of the points made in the letter and in the following post, however what happened at this football camp IS NOT the way to do it and all those responsible should be punished, from the coaches to the perpetrators. IMO, it is ABOUT TIME the brutality some young, inexperienced players have to deal with comes crashing down and those who do it, and let it happen, are dealt with swiftly and justly. Then it may stop.

brad winder 2 months, 1 week ago

I agree with you Dave, the instigators of the hazing got off easy when it came to the administrations punishment. Maybe a 1/2 season or harsher suspension of the hazers might of been better. Putting it all on the heads of the coaches may have been to harsh. If a kid does something wrong should we throw the parents in jail? But this society nowadays likes to shift the blame. My comments earlier was discussing the other things Kevin mentioned. I'm sure you know what I meant by motivation it has nothing to do with torture.

David Moore 2 months ago

So are you saying the hazers got off with no punishment? This is how I read your comment above, and please, a half season for punishment?? If I were the administrator those guys would never touch a football again during their high school careers, ever. And you are right, motivation and torture are two separate things, so why do the other players resort to torture?? Are they thinking it will motivate the other players?? They need to start school all over again if this is how they think because all brain cells are not firing in harmony.

This was not hazing, hazing is a bucket of cold water dumped on you while showering in a warm shower. Hazing is dog-piling someone, hazing is not having a disgusting bag of piss thrown at you. Kids were ridiculed, ashamed and degraded.... Why, please enlighten me?? I can't imagine it has anything to do with their level of play, however I can imagine it has everything to do with an elitist attitude by some upperclassman, or men, who think they are God's gift to sports, had them when I tried to play and apparently the mentality still exists. That doubled with the same old tradition that has been going on in this town for as long as I can remember.....your name or your money. Without either your kid has no chance... I have experienced it recently with my own kid, its a fact, not a fallacy.

THAT is where the coaches become responsible, they are responsible for dealing with these situations no matter who you are or how much money, acreage, sheep, cattle, business interests, political or CEO positions mommy and daddy have. Apparently, as usual, the coach(es) did nothing which makes me think that fact still rings quite true in this good ol' boy community and, well, they paid the price for their ignorance.

Thankfully someone stood up for the victims and said enough is enough, step down or we will make you step down. Bravo for them however their job may not last long around here, that type of thinking is not accepted in this community by some, those of us with a few firing synapses think it is just fine and about danged time, but we have no money or a big name. The only way to make this never happen again is to do what has been done and never let the instigators play again, they obviously do not know what sportsmanship is which in my book makes them ineligible. If that does not happen, the parents of the victims should involve the court system and punish ALL of them to the fullest extent of the law.

David Moore 2 months ago

I am not saying I don't agree with that, but what in heck does that have to do with this situation???

David Moore 2 months ago

I wrote out a great post but decided banging my head on the wall would be less painful than attempting to get some to see that this is not about earning a positioning or about how good of an athlete you are, but more about illegal, immoral and downright sadistic behavior. Excuse me, my wall awaits.

David Moore 2 months ago

My issue, is that the letter and following posts seem to twist this incident in a way to where it is pointing the finger at kids who are not good enough as to why this all happened, and, at their parents for wanting the coaches to do their jobs, which is to coach. Apparently we are supposed to give birth to world class athletes or they are not allowed on the team, and, if they somehow get on the team, they need "motivation" consisting of being picked on, hazed, and degraded, which in some miraculous way will make them better athletes.

Ummmm, no.

I totally agree with you that we entrust the safety and well being of our child athletes to those who accompany our kids to places away from home and away from our parental security. These men failed miserably in providing that security and are now paying the price, and, they seem to have gotten the heavy hand. Hopefully, if they ever coach again, they will not repeat their mistakes.

This has all been nothing but a complete embarrassment for this community which struggles to find it's place in the world. Doing something about what happened is all we have left to redeem ourselves and make others think that we actually do have brains around here and are not some chew spittin' redneck town.