John Pogline: Say no to pot

I have been reading a lot lately about how Craig and Moffat County would benefit from the cannabis industry. But has anyone looked at the sickness and death statistics that are related to alcohol and cigarettes? Do we really want to bring more upon ourselves? Yes, it would bring dollars into the area. Yes, it would mean more tax dollars. But get real, not a cent of any of those dollars would go to paying the funeral expenses of burying your wife and kids when someone high on cannabis (“I only had one joint”) takes them out on the highway. It happens with alcohol, and it will happen with cannabis. When will good common sense win out over the almighty dollar?

John Pogline

Craig

Comments

Shaun Hadley 5 months, 3 weeks ago

You're absolutely correct. There is a GREAT deal of death, sickness, societal and law enforcement costs related to alcohol and tobacco. Which has absolutely nothing to do with this argument or cannabis.

Do you think not having a recreational cannabis store in Craig will reduce the amount of people smoking or driving under the influence of cannabis? You're dead wrong. They're gonna go ahead and still use cannabis - but they're just gonna drive to steamboat to get it instead of walking down the street. And if you're REALLY worried about keeping high drivers off the roads, let's give them a local option.

Benjie Robinson 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Excellent point Shaun, I would also like to point out that in addition to cannabis users driving to other locations to purchase legally, many people will still opt to purchase from a black market source. In my understanding Amendment 64 is meant to curb this activity to the point where it is eventually non existent. So, by enacting a local prohibition on cannabis, not only is the city and county denying its citizens their right under the new law but also inadvertently fueling illegal activity.

dennis collins 5 months, 3 weeks ago

so why not get rid of booze along with pot, good grief do you people really need to get high that bad ?

go ask tim jantz or the law enforcement community how they feel about it. when I was a cop 90% of my calls were alcohol or drug related, why do you want something to make you act silly to add to whats already out there ?

walk a mile in a cops shoes and see what the truth is.

I am sitting at a navy base in California as I write this, you cannot believe what a joke people out here think Colorado is over legalizing pot --- California is laughing at Colorado -- oh my God how embarrassing is that ?

Shaun Hadley 5 months, 3 weeks ago

This isn't about alcohol or drugs. It's about a non-harmful substance called cannabis. I'm also completely shocked that a former law enforcement officer would lump marijuana with alcohol and other narcotics. How many times did you have to wrestle a stoner to the ground throughout your career? Did you ever receive disturbing the peace calls about large groups of hippies playing drum circles and fighting? Perhaps a group of "high" maniacs attempted to steal a case of Cheetos from Kum and go?

I'd guess not.

Shaun Hadley 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Did you just say California is laughing at Colorado?!

.......you do realize you're sitting in the state with the loosest cannabis regulations in the country, right?! You don't even need a license to open a medical cannabis store in some areas in California. They have an entire county that is well known for the cannabis it produces, and which law enforcement turns a blind eye. Good ol' Humbolt county. So, if they're laughing, it's because they got a hold of some of this Colorado cannabis.

dennis collins 5 months, 2 weeks ago

no I guess I don't realize that, I'm not a calif. resident, and certainly not a pothead, drug user, or a drinker. after 20 years of having been a first responder to calls involving drugs and alcohol you couldn't get me to use that junk if you tied me down. shaun, everyone in town knows its all about the money with you guys. if you had a fertilizer factory and the voters didn't want the smell in town, you would be jumping up and down saying no one knows the truth but you. I see we are going to vote on it, will you respect accept what the voters say and knock it off ? OR will you start a newspaper campaign to "change the mindset" ? I think you will see that me and old john ain't the only ones in moffat county who don't want drugs legalized in craig. tell you what, if they vote to legalize it I will fold my tents and never look back at craig, are you willing to do the same if they don't ? and I'm a native who intends to spend my retirement in craig also. it ain't about money with me, just the desire to keep craig a nice place to live, maybe not "mellow dude".

Shaun Hadley 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Well Dennis, I certainly hope you're this well informed and passionate about something that may actually someday affect your life. As I said in my last reply to your rhetoric spouting comment under my letter to the editor, I want the people to vote, and tell the County and City what they want. That particular vote doesn't even affect me, or my store, and I'm still in great support of it. I passionately believe in fact, research, and my personal experience into the type of substance cannabis actually is, and it's affects on both people and the societies around them, as opposed to the rhetorical questions and unfounded fears presented by you and "John". And yes, I am still going to push for a City of Craig Vote, because the Moffat County vote will not affect anything within Craig city limits. But I'm sure you already knew that, with all your solid facts and sources.

dennis collins 5 months, 2 weeks ago

shaun

you didn't answer my question

I collect a retirement check from both the military and law enforcement, but I'm sure you in your lifetime of pot use know better than me. how old are you ? I lived through the 60's I saw the aftermath of a patrol wiped out in viet nam because the guy who was supposed to be on watch got stoned and fell asleep. I never once interviewed a hard core drug user who didn't tell me he started on pot, I cleaned the remains of a child off a dash board of a car because a 19 year old got stoned and took off in his dads truck and hit another car head on. so don't ever try to convince me or anyone who spent there life like I did that drugs or alcohol are good for us. sit down and talk to Tim Jantz, or any other member of law enforcement in craig, or any other town in America, like I said walk a mile in their shoes before you tell us were all full of crap.

just like the pit bull owner who tells everyone how sweet his dog is, till it attacks some child.

arguing with you is just arguing with the dog owner. i'll wait to see what the craig residents decide, they are the ones who will ultimately decide the issue. craig residents have a reputation for being an intelligent well informed bunch, bet they don't approve it any time soon my friend.

Mark Jacobson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I would sit and talk with any member of law enforcement, except for the fact that nobody should ever talk to a cop for any reason, ever. This is according to legal 101, one of the first things they teach in law school is to advise clients never talk to the cops ever. The good news is that you're retired, so there seems to be no harm in having this discussion. Given the propensity of officers to abuse their power and over react, I seriously do not recommend ANYBODY go and talk about pot with a cop, legal or not.

Secondly, I'd like to point out that it's not the place of law enforcement to have any say over what the laws are. When law enforcement dictates what laws should be that's the ideal picture of a totalitarian fascist state. I should also point out that your flaccid arguments are also circumstantial, you don't cite any specific examples and you make generalized statements. "Get stoned" could mean 100 different things, stoned from pot, stoned from heroine, or stoned from cocaine. Pot has less of a psychotropic impact than alcohol and tobacco, so when you make statements comparing pot to meth that just makes you look like an idiot. All the drivel you've spouted in the comments sections hasn't given an iota of information, evidence, or compelling discussion on this issue.

dennis collins 5 months, 2 weeks ago

mark, your obvious dislike for the very men who make it possible for you to say and do what ever you see fit, makes you not even qualified to debate the subject. these are some of the most honest, giving human beings I have ever known. certainly there are cops you can't trust, but that's in all walks of life. instead of calling them names and lumping them all in the same twisted position, an attitude that you probably got when arrested at one time or the other, you should get never pass on the opportunity to thank them for their service, they are the ones out there in the snow and cold, in the middle of the night, responding to "even your" screams in the dark.

folks like you who are so quick to criticize police officers are most often the first to call when in danger. if you hate the police that bad, next time your life is on the line call the local pot shop for help.

I spent over 20 years serving the public, I doubt you have spent 20 minutes serving anyone, but I suppose that 20 minutes is enough to make you an expert on the subject. just don't try to convince other people of it, they don't buy it. but if you care to cite your vast experience with law enforcement, we are waiting with baited breath to hear it ---please ???

Mark Jacobson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I've never been arrested, I've seen my fair share of dirty cops, and guys with an authority complex like you disgust me every bit as much as they do.

dennis collins 5 months, 2 weeks ago

name 3 ?

I will name 2 good ones for every bad you can name. you don't know me, you don't know anything about me, yet you are disgusted with me. shows your opinion is without any merit.

melonie barrett 3 months, 4 weeks ago

First of all lets get back to the article we are discussing. It is about "say no to pot". I have not done the research, however, I have never heard of a death related to a auto accident caused by someone who was high only on pot. From all the latest research most of the benefits of pot in treating a huge array of medical conditions including glaucoma, severe nausea and pain do surely out weigh the negative. It is a known fact that the illegal use of narcotic prescription drugs is running rampant in this country. Overdose is easy with those narcotic pills and you can overdose on alcohol, but there has never been a death related to using too much pot. Also the last time I checked, police officers enforce the laws that are voted in by the people, that is why it is called law enforcement officer which I don't see patrolling when all of the local bars close at 2AM.