Craig Fredrick Hererra’s trailer home in Shadow Mountain was swallowed in flames Friday afternoon.
Herrera and one of his dogs were able to get out of the burning trailer unharmed, but his home at 1265 Sequoia Ave. was gutted by the fire. His second dog still is missing.
Hererra’s neighbors made the 911 call.
“I just come around the corner and I seen the smoke," Herrera’s neighbor Ed Coverston said. Herrera “ran out, calling fire.”
Coverston told another neighbor, Eldon Hikle, to make a call to the fire department. The call came in at about 12:05 p.m., Moffat County Sheriff’s Deputy Gary Nichols said.
We heard that it was a “possible structure fire in Shadow Mountain. When I got there it was engulfed in flames,” he said.
Craig Fire/Rescue and ambulance services rushed to the scene to contain the blaze.
Herrera stood on the sidewalk across from his home as the agencies worked to fight the blaze. After his daughter arrived on the scene and smoke started billowing out of the trailer, Herrera collapsed. He later was transported to The Memorial Hospital for reasons unrelated to the fire.
“It wasn’t from anything he sustained from the actual fire,” Fire Chief KC Hume said.
Herrera’s home is snug in between other trailers and other buildings, but the fire remained relatively contained.
“Our response was quick enough to limit the exposure (of the fire) to other buildings,” Hume said.
The cause of the fire likely was a candle, Hume said.
“The investigation revealed that an unattended candle was more likely than not the cause of the fire,” he said.
Craig Fire/Rescue contained the blaze within 20 minutes and stayed on scene until about 2:20 p.m., Hume said.
Contact Erin Fenner at 970-875-1794 or efenner@CraigDailyPress.com.