The home of Christina and Kevin Oxley was destroyed Sunday night after a barbecue grill blaze lit the house on fire, according to the Craig Fire/Rescue.
Of the family of five, no one was injured, but the house was severely damaged. Christina Oxley is the executive director of the Craig Chamber of Commerce.
“We were paged at about 6:45 last night to the report of a fire in the back of the house,” said Craig Fire/Rescue Interim Fire Chief KC Hume. “The entire back or east side of the house was involved with fire aggressively moving through the second story.”
It took Craig Fire/Rescue roughly 30 minutes to extinguish the fire, yet officials worked on the scene for an additional three and half hours.
The blaze started when Kevin Oxley was preparing dinner for Christina Oxley and their three children, he said.
“I was just burning up the grill to get steaks on for dinner,” he said.
He left the grill briefly to get the steaks, and when he came back the porch was on fire. Kevin Oxley rushed to get his family out of the house and call 911, but the fire moved fast and jumped up to the second story of the house burning up the two young daughters’ bedrooms.
When police and Fire/Rescue arrived on the scene, the family huddled in their car to keep warm.
“We sat in our car for three hours and watched our house burn down,” Kevin Oxley said. “I think all of us are in shock.”
The family rushed out so fast that they didn’t grab even the most basic belongings.
“My girls didn’t have any shoes or coats or anything when they got out of the house,” he said.
Shannon Moore, membership director of the Craig Chamber of Commerce, is organizing an effort to collect donations for the family.
“They basically have nothing at this point,” Moore said. “It’s just such a devastating loss, and the time of year is obviously horrible,”
Moore is collecting gift cards, money and clothes to give to the family. They are also planning a fundraiser at the ice-skating rink at 1 p.m. Saturday.
The loss was painful, Kevin Oxley said, because they had put so much of themselves into the house. Just three years ago they gutted the house and remodeled it.
“That’s one of our proudest accomplishments,” he said.
But, the family is trying to keep positive. They are grateful for the support from the American Red Cross, the emergency response services and friends and family who have offered to help.
“I am very proud to be a Craig-ite right now,” he said.
The family was able to find two of their pets, but they are still missing their black cat, Shadow.
Erin Fenner can be reached at 970-875-1794 or firstname.lastname@example.org.