CraigDailyPress.com now free to all users

photo

Courtesy

Renee Campbell

Effective immediately, all content on CraigDailyPress.com is free to all users.

The switch, which went into effect Thursday, eliminates a paywall that was put in place in August 2012. Craig Daily Press General Manager Renee Campbell said the decision to get rid of paid access to news articles and other editorial content was the result of an evaluation of how the system had performed in Craig and Moffat County.

"The newspaper industry is evolving and changing rapidly and online paywalls are being adopted by news organizations around the country as a means to offset losses in print circulation,” Campbell said. “The past year certainly has been a good test for the Craig Daily Press. But our analysis shows that, in our community, offering online content free of charge is the better approach for now."

Readers who had subscriptions to CraigDailyPress.com will be given pro-rated refunds based on the remaining term of their subscriptions. To inquire about your refund, call Amy Fontenot at 970-875-1785 or email afontenot@CraigDailyPress.com.

Comments

David Moore 1 year, 4 months ago

Best decision made yet. Since I whined the most, let me be the first to thank you.....thank you.

David Moore 1 year, 3 months ago

Ya, sometimes it pays off. Now, lets get this forum happening again.

George Robertson 1 year, 3 months ago

I think Bryce came up with the "pay for access" plan to silence his critics, and you have to admit, it worked.

lonelyone 1 year, 3 months ago

Who do we thank for getting things back to the way they were? It is nice to be able to read stuff again. And posting comments if I feel like it will be an a plus too.

George Robertson 1 year, 3 months ago

I believe that would be Renee Campbell. Thank you VERY much!

Brian Kotowski 1 year, 2 months ago

I've only recently learned that the paywall came down. It's too bad we weren't furnished with a more explicit explanation than the pap provided by the CDP. The simplest explanations are usually the best. I suspect that were we permitted to follow the money we'd find that online subscriptions were less than fruitful. I would further speculate that the paywall barrier cost CDP online advertisers a boatload of views & click-thrus.