An explosion Wednesday morning at Herod Industries in Craig blew a hole in the company’s roof and left community members concerned after the loud noise.
No one was injured in the incident that happened at 12th and Rose streets.
“We had a vacuum trailer over pressurized that exploded. We had a small section of the roof that was damaged,” said Guy Bradshaw, health, environment and safety coordinator at Herod. “It’s under investigation.”
Herod workers were conducting welding and cutting operations on a tanker-trailer.
“The trailer was empty of fluids,” Bradshaw said. “What we were trying to do was to extend the bracket on the trailer to the truck that you hook up for air.”
The welding operations heated the tank, which eventually exploded.
“It’s like if you take a plastic water bottle and put it on a fire,” Bradshaw said.
Community members in north Craig heard the explosion, and emergency personnel from Craig Fire/Rescue, The Memorial Hospital EMS, Craig Police Department, Moffat County Sheriff’s Office, Yampa Valley Electric Association and Craig City Building Inspection immediately arrived on the scene.
“The building has been inspected by the building inspector and is deemed safe,” Craig Fire/Rescue Chief Bill Johnston said. “We have made sure the area is safe and that there are no vapors present.”
Noelle Leavitt Riley can be reached at 970-875-1790 or nriley@CraigDailyPress.com