Moffat County Commissioners show angst over gun laws

Moffat County Commissioners signed a resolution Tuesday supporting litigation to overturn Colorado’s new gun laws.

Specifically, the resolution supports the 55 county sheriffs in Colorado, including Moffat County Sheriff Tim Jantz, who have filed a lawsuit opposing the two gun laws recently passed by the Colorado General Assembly.

“It’s important to stand up with the law enforcement people,” Moffat County Commissioner Chuck Grobe said.

House Bills 1224 and 1229 are what have the county commissioners, the sheriff and various residents upset.

“I think it’s totally unenforceable,” Moffat County Commissioner John Kinkaid said. “They pushed this through the state Legislature without much thought. It’s a top-down approach.”

The supporting resolution states that HB 1224 imposes a ban on the ownership, sale or transfer of ammunition magazines manufactured after June 1. The problem the commissioners have with the bill is that “there is no way to determine either the date of manufacture or the manufacturer’s intent with regards to adaptability at the time of design.”

They have further problems with HB 1229, which requires private buyers and sellers of guns to have extended background checks and have all transactions completed through a federal firearms licensed agent.

The resolution states that “there is no empirical evidence to support the assertion that these laws will prevent violent crime while there is clear evidence that they represent a great infringement on the rights and security of law-abiding citizens as guaranteed in both the Second and the 14th Amendments to the United States Constitution."

“It puts a burden on everyone,” said Todd Wheeler, of the Sheriff’s Office.

Noelle Leavitt Riley can be reached at 970-875-1790 or nriley@CraigDailyPress.com

Comments

dennis collins 1 year, 9 months ago

well folks, you can't say you haven't been warned over the years. if you keep allowing people like hookenlipper to run bills like this through the legislators and into law, the next one will limit ammo, then handguns, then guns altogether. you "HAVE" to stand up and protect your constitution, or you will slowly loose it.

David Moore 1 year, 9 months ago

The first one, HB1224, I am not sure I understand what the big deal is. So you can't buy a 30 round clip anymore, big deal. The other one I can understand, no private gun shop is going to take on peoples personal sales of weapons and do the background checks for them, I am thinking that might set them up for a real problem. I own a gun and have no trouble buying ammo for it, so I am just a bit confused why this is creating such an uproar. I have no need for a high capacity weapon with a huge clip, unless you are military or police, neither does anyone else. Just my opinion like it or not.

Allen Hischke 1 year, 9 months ago

It is people like Mr. Moore that think it is OK for the government to destroy the Bill OF Rights that allows things like these gun laws to be enacted. I take offense when people like Mr. Moore take sides with worthless politicians like our US Senators and our Governor to further destroy the rights that this country was built on. I wouldn't mind it either if it would actually do some good to stop gun crime or gun violence, but we all know that none of the laws on the books now have ever done that. There is only one law that will ever have a chance of stopping gun crime and gun violence. That law should read as follows. If any person, adult or child, uses any gun, BB gun or machine gun, to commit any crime, stealing a stick of gum or murder. Then that person upon conviction will recieve a mandatory death sentence, to be carried out within a week of conviction. When that law is on the books, then gun crime and gun violence will begin to decrease. Nothing else will do any good.

Brian Kotowski 1 year, 9 months ago

It's troubling, David, because the end game for the gun control crowd is an all-out gun ban - make no mistake. More gun laws on top of the 20,000 already on the books are just additional steps towards that goal. Moreover, HB1224 is so poorly written that it is unenforceable. I'll leave its constitutional viability to the courts. Virtually every semi-auto in existence violates the law's injunction against a mag that "can be easily converted" to accept more rounds than the statute allows, by virtue of its removable baseplate - a design feature to accommodate cleaning and maintenance. A friend of mine has a Browning Hi-Power I covet, and has promised to sell it to me if/when he decides to part with it. The transaction will take place over a handshake & some cash, with no background check. How do you propose the cops enforce the statute and arrest us for the multiple violations we will be guilty of?

David Moore 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't have a proposition for enforcement as I would probably do the exact same thing if I ever bought a weapon from a private party. Knowing full well the amount of laws on the books, these new laws, well one of them anyway, does not seem to be a big enough deal to evoke the reaction it has received. The background check for private parties will never happen, it is completely unenforceable and I think everyone realizes it, so just move on. However, getting ones shorts in a wad over clip size seems to be pretty silly to me. Are people just that bad of a shot that they need 20 bullets to neutralize a target? The "my rights" diatribe is getting really old, and to base something such as the need for a 20 or 30 round clip simply just because you have a "right" to is losing this battle. Just my opinion.

Allen Hischke 1 year, 9 months ago

What seems silly to me is how Mr. Moore thinks, or rather doesn't think.
He doesn't seem to understand that when the gun control freeks get their foot in the door with one useless unneeded law, then they want to eneact more useless unneeded laws that will have no effect on crime. if you want to give up your rights Mr. Moore, you should move to a country where they have no rights instead of telling people it is a good thing to take our rights away from us.
Go get your passport and leave today, you are a real hinderance to free men here.