In other action...
During its regularly scheduled meeting Tuesday, the Moffat County Commission:
• Approved, 3-0, January supplemental budget.
• Approved, 3-0, advancing $143,010 from the general fund to the Maybell Sanitation Fund.
• Approved, 3-0, a $5,991.80 bid from Craig Steel for cattleguard iron.
• Heard American Legion Post 62 and Shadow Mountain Clubhouse building update from Jake Garcia.
• Approved, 3-0, writing letters of support for The Memorial Hospital Foundation to apply for grants for a new ambulance.
• Approved, 3-0, a $54,765 contract addendum for bookbinding services from TCB Mobile Bookbinding.
• Discussed drafting a resolution to put a moratorium on the use or consumption of marijuana on commercial and industrial zoned properties.
The Moffat County Commission on Tuesday took the next step in the process of striking a potential deal with Kum & Go to expand its location at 700 E. Victory Way.
Kum & Go first approached the county in April about acquiring the Moffat County road and bridge maintenance shop located next door at 640 E. Victory Way to make room for a new 5,000-square foot convenience store plus 10 to 18 new gasoline pumps.
Moffat County Developmental Services director Roy Tipton presented the commission with an addendum to its agreement with Des Moines, Iowa-based Seneca Companies, which has been contracted by Kum & Go to conduct ground water monitoring at both the maintenance shop and the east side location.
Tipton said engineering work uncovered the presence of fuel in the subsurface soil structure.
The contamination will be excavated and cleaned by engineers, Tipton said. Seneca will then conduct quarterly monitoring of the groundwater for a period of one year as has been required by the Colorado Division of Oil and Public Safety.
Though monitoring is slated to continue for a year after the final two of 12 wells are drilled, Tipton said he doesn’t expect the project to delay a potential deal with Kum & Go.
The county hopes to put the maintenance shop building up for public auction in the next three to six months.
Joe Moylan can be reached at 875-1794 or email@example.com