The Memorial Hospital CEO George Rohrich, pictured above in front of the hospital’s main entrance, resigned Friday. Rohrich, who had helped steer the hospital to its new location west of town, had served as CEO for about seven years.

File Photo

Rohrich resigns from hospital CEO post

Rohrich to remain at TMH until QHR, hospital board identifies an interim CEO

photo

George Rohrich

George Rohrich, CEO of The Memorial Hospital in Craig for about seven years, resigned Friday according to a TMH news release.

The announcement was made at around 2 p.m. by the TMH Board of Trustees.

“In addition to overseeing the development of our new hospital facility, George opened a medical clinic with family medicine, OB/GYN, general surgery, internal medicine and pediatrics to our community, recruited 13 medical providers for those specialties, and expanded our facility to include chemotherapy and infusion services, cardiac rehab and consumer driven lab services,” board of trustees chair Don Myers said in the release. “We appreciate his contributions to our hospital and community and both are much better off from his tenure here.”

An interim CEO will be onsite before Rohrich’s resignation officially takes effect, said Jennifer Riley, chief of organizational excellence at TMH. Though there is no set timeline Riley expects the transition to happen sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Rohrich’s decision to step down came less than 24 hours after a TMH Board of Trustees’ meeting that featured three separate votes to address a variety of topics in executive session.

After the third session Mike Mullins, vice president of Quorum Health Resources, TMH’s management company, told the Craig Daily Press he had been tasked with addressing a TMH personnel issue.

Attempts to reach Mullins Friday were unsuccessful, but Susan Hassell, vice president of marketing and corporate communications for QHR, said the management company had no further comment about last night’s meeting.

“Unfortunately, the reason hospital boards go into executive session is to discuss information that is not appropriate for public discussion,” Hassell said in an email response to the Daily Press. “We cannot comment on information discussed in The Memorial Hospital’s executive session nor do we comment on personnel matters, which are confidential.”

Riley also would not confirm whether Rohrich’s decision today was a result of anything that happened at Thursday night’s meeting.

“The decision for George to step down today (Friday) was his own,” Riley said. “I don’t know what happened in all of the executive sessions.

“I was present for two (of the executive sessions) and not present for the third, but even having said that I can’t discuss what happens in executive session because it’s confidential.”

Moffat County Commissioner-elect John Kinkaid, who attended his last meeting as a hospital board member Thursday, elaborated a little more, saying that following the third executive session the board approved, 5-2, a motion directing QHR to visit with Rohrich.

Kinkaid, who stopped by TMH Friday afternoon, said the atmosphere was melancholy.

“I can tell you from having just come from the hospital there are 220 people up there that feel there’s been a death in the family,” Kinkaid said. “I’m sad.”

QHR will lead the national search for Rohrich’s replacement with the hospital board’s participation, Riley said.

“QHR’s management services provides immediate interim resources to minimize disruption within the hospital while allowing the board time to choose a CEO that can meet our needs, and fill the significant role Rohrich has played in the hospital and in the community,” Myers said in the release.

There is no time frame for the new CEO search to be completed, according to the release.

Rohrich and Moffat County Commissioner Tom Gray, county liaison to the hospital board, could not be reached for comment Friday evening.

Joe Moylan can be reached at 875-1794 or jmoylan@craigdailypress.com

Comments

twin2175 1 year, 11 months ago

I think that it is a sham that one person's hatred for the hospital and staff could hurt so many people. It is ridiculous that Al Cashion feels that he has so much power, that he thinks he could control who works at the hospital. Al, get over your hatred, and work with people if you think there are problems. You can get further in life by assisting, than you can by causing animosity.

onesopinion 1 year, 11 months ago

I think that this is a great disadvantage to our community. George has brought many great things to this community with help yes, and to use him as the sacrifical lamb is disgusting. We have state of the art health care here now!!! George helped us see that we may be remote but we can still be great and have a great place to be taken care of. To those who jumped on this witches hunt SHAME on you!!! Not everyone likes every decision or every contract that is given but get over it it is life!. I just hope that the new CEO will have the backbone that George has had and think of the hospital and community bennefits before a single small groups personal gain.

onesopinion 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh and another thing SHAME on You craig daily press for adding the fuel to a situation and only printing the one sided editorials. Plenty of people including myself wrote a letter to the editor and it some how was lost during the negitivity add you were running.

David Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

What a tragedy this is, downright shameful. This hospital has come a long way with George at the helm and was headed in a very positive direction. I can't imagine if our prior leadership was still at the wheel, we would STILL be in a 65 year old building, we would STILL be going to YVMC to have babies and we would STILL be stuck in the same rut we were for the first 17 years I worked there. The place was so much better when George took over, it was a big reason for my return, progressive leadership, some just can't handle that I guess. A few people think they know what goes on up here but in reality they have absolutely NO CLUE!!!! Why is the CDP not talking to some of us that have been here for so long? Why do they not want our opinions too? Shoot, in Surgery between three of us we have well over 75 years at TMH, surely there must be something wrong with that, but not story material I guess. This IS a witch-hunt and now it has resulted in the departure of our leader, which George very much is, a leader. I hope those who started all of this are satisfied, you all have just struck a mighty blow to the morale of your community hospital. As much as I do not agree, I will respect Georges decision, he has always done such good for this hospital and community, he and his fennel ice cream will be missed. Good luck George, you were a good leader and friend.

Jeff_Hall870 1 year, 11 months ago

So Rohrich resigned for no other reason than what a single person said about him in a public forum? And because the Craig Daily Press reported on that expression?
I think if the good CEO was confident in his actions and his integrity, those things alone would have stood up to the scrutiny Al Cashion brought to a public forum. Instead, there is a resignation. Hmmm.

David Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

Its my opinion, and my opinion only (none of my postings are reflections of TMH, just my thoughts and feelings), but if I know George, he did it for us, the employees, and for the preservation of the hospital itself. He didn't do anything wrong, but he has now taken one for the team. That is an honorable thing to do, and at times, a very difficult thing to do as well. I am sure this has been well thought out and not a kneejerk reaction to a hundred (out of 11,000 that we serve) unhappy people in the public, the monkey just would not let go. If one only knew the truth, and not a bunch of junk in the newspaper, this would never have happened and we would be going on with normal, fun, rewarding hospital life. Like I said above, those who brought this on have struck a mighty blow to morale. I have been on the phone with many others associated with this community's healthcare, and we are not happy. Hope someone is though.

onesopinion 1 year, 11 months ago

When a situation gets so much steam a good leader will sacrigfice himself instead of his people. Unfortunatly that is where all these stories of turnover and the big bad wolf at tmh have brought us. George has tried to be the bigger person here and not saying mean and hurtful things about those that have left or about the situations not to hide things but some things are quite frankly not the publics business. It's never one person but it does not hurt when you have a few on soap boxes pushing fear and negitivity.

Taxpayer 1 year, 11 months ago

A CEO doesn't normaly take one for the team. Usually, they provide the leadership to take the team from boiling water to calmer waters, Then, they work to find solutions to the situations. Maybe Quorum needs to be replaced also.

sc428 1 year, 11 months ago

Well Taxpayer , George is the kind of CEO who would take one for the team ! If he felt that he was better serving the hospital then he would and did ! Shame on all of you who joined in this witch hunt ! Shame on mostly Bryce Jacobson and the daily mess. You werent man enough to stir up the nonsense on your own, you had to get someone with a personal agenda to do it for you. Shame also on the people who joined in on the mob mentality !! I will NEVER buy the Daily Mess again nor will ever take out an ad. As David Moore said, These are my own opinions and in no way reflect TMH. And by the way..I also wrote a letter to the editor before Christmas and it has yet to be published. It is on line but has yet to go to print..Think it was because I had something positive to say??? You bet I do!.

abby2100b 1 year, 11 months ago

Survivor TMH Edition George is just the latest victim to fall prey to the puppet master. Anyone with connections past and present to TMH know it's neither George nor Jennifer that control the puppet strings. Choose your alliances carefully my friends there is no immunity idol there.

Taxpayer 1 year, 11 months ago

There have been a lot of letters to the editor and on the discussions -- I doubt that those comments, on either side, were the reason that someone from Quorum had to be at the Exxecutive Session last night. Somewhere in the middle of this mess is the truth, and hopefully, it will come from the dark into the light. The Board of Trustees knows exactly why George Rohrich resigned, and until the Board comments we probably won't know. Maybe others at the hospital might decide to stand up and be counted. Until then we are all just in the dark.

twin2175 1 year, 11 months ago

I have lived here in Craig for almost 5 years and I am ashamed of the Craig Daily Mess for its poor excuse for reporting. Instead of being a non-bias entity that reports, the Mess has ensured that all TMH comaints are posted and have failed the public by not reporting all sides. I am ashamed to say that you are our local paper. When I tell people back home about your business it is only to laugh at the multiple "Miss-postings" and an astonishing number of spelling errors in so many articles that you post. Like so many have said, my comments and opinions do not necessarily reflect those of TMH or its staff.

Jobeth Haydon-Tupa 1 year, 11 months ago

Be careful what you ask for Craig...... I think the bias that has been shown by this paper on this matter is disgraceful. Bryce, I told you three months ago, in a small town, there is a distinct difference between invoking thought, and in sighting a riot.... I think after educators, and physicians, you are left only to offend law enforcement, and perhaps your bread and butter, those hard working stiffs, and that'll be the end of that.... Your career here... Tisk, tisk..... One mustn't bite the hand that feeds them. ( And, for the record, for a town that is in limbo pending the final outcome of our most recent general election, I hope you all realize the financial ramifications of your actions..... Although, truth be told, you wouldn't 't be happy with any outcome, would you?)

hello81625 1 year, 11 months ago

Abby - you got it. Where is the Chief Quality officer / Chief Nursing Officer / Chief Clinical Officer in all this? Yes- it is all the same person.

lbahc 1 year, 11 months ago

What a shame! I read all the letters in the paper. Al Cashion created a witch hunt and others followed. Again what a shame. I attempted to read the article that Al wrote and before the second paragraph it became a mass of words that showed what his, in my opinion, mentality. And at the board meeting everyone listened as he spoke but when anyone spoke in support of our hospital and George he laughed, shook his head, and made comments. Again, a show of his mentality. One day before the board meeting a man's life was saved by the EMS. Did that get into the Daily Press? NO but we read a letter that took four editions to hear about a woman's complaints about a remote control and the lights being too bright!! We can do a million good things at the hospital (and we do) but if 1 person feels that we did somehting wrong everyone hears it, and thanks to the Daily "Mess" we all get read it.
Al, YOU got what you want. Now what insane crusade will you go on? I won't know because I will not bother with reading your nonsense in the Daily Mess.

Jayne Morley 1 year, 11 months ago

Express your disappointment with your wallet. Don't buy the Daily Press. Tell the local businesses that you shop with to stop buying ads through the Daily Press as well. The Press is in business to sell papers, not provide us with unbiased news. If you don't like the manner in which they do it, don't support the paper and/or write to the owners of the publication letting them know of your disgust.

Joanna Hatten 1 year, 11 months ago

I am confused....why is Bryce Jacobson being blamed for this? And quite honestly....as far as Al Cashion leading a witch hunt??? Seriously??? Does anyone even take him serious??? Needless to say follow him on a witch hunt!!!

sc428 1 year, 11 months ago

Why is Bryce getting the blame? At least 3 Tmh employees sent positive editorials before Christmas and they weren't printed for nearly 3 weeks yet the negative stuff ran in multiple parts day after day. Bryce also gave free rein to someone who clearly had a personal agenda and vendetta. That's why !

Jayne Morley 1 year, 11 months ago

We shouldn’t blame the CDP for selling newspapers. That is their job after all. Would you accuse a real estate agent of selling real estate? In my opinion, the problem is the method used to create the sales. What is truly lacking is a sound understanding of journalistic integrity by the CDP. Moffat County deserves a higher level of service. Here is a link to the Society of Professional Journalists webpage which lists their code of ethics. http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp It is the editor’s responsibility to oversee the publication and maintain the integrity of the business. This responsibility is not being fulfilled to a satisfactory level. As a result of this, the community is being shortchanged. I find it sadly amusing that the CDP solicits members for their editorial board. The invitation is publically presented, but the published editorial board meeting time almost guarantees that most all working citizens of Moffat County are excluded. What does the CDP fear? Will they obtain a balanced mix of thought and opinion from their readership? I challenge Bryce to read, understand, and enforce a code of ethics for the CDP. Not a few select sections of the code, but the code in its entirety. The only way to achieve the goal of becoming a trusted and respected publication is to follow a code of ethics. Bryce, are you up to the challenge?

hello81625 1 year, 11 months ago

John Kincade's comment that 220 people feel like there is a death in the family illustrates just how out of touch the board is. To know how 220 people feel you have to leave the administrative hallway and ask people's opinion out of a public meeting. Employees are quiet because they are scared.

ReallyCraigReally 1 year, 11 months ago

1st and last time posting, but I can't take it anymore. Each of you TMH employees that are posting on here have a very passionate loyalty for your leader, which is great. Actually good to see. But the lashing that you are giving the CDP and Bryce on this forum is unfounded. They didn't write those letters to the editor, the only editorial regarding this subject that I saw was in favor of TMH. The news coverage that I have read was too fair to TMH, in my opinion. I happen to know for a fact that Bryce is a big fan of George's, this is not at all what he wanted.
In fact Bryce has ensured that, due to a conflict of interest, he has stayed out of news decisions for TMH. For at least the last 3 or 4 months. So, the CDP allowed people to have their voice and published letters to the editor. If I understand all of you right all of your letters were published as well. Think what you want about Bryce, I know Bryce is a bit arrogant and opinionated, but none the less I have never questioned that what he wants for the CDP and this community is to continue to improve - nothing more, nothing less.

Taxpayer 1 year, 11 months ago

Was there a new agenda not posted on the County's webpage for the 01/03/12 meeting? I only saw two executive sessions for the posted agenda not 3.

ReallyCraigReally Thanks for the voice of reason in a time of unrest and turmoil.

Both Bryce and Al deserve more respectful treatment as they certainly have high expectations for our entire County. From all the letters written, there is a wide bandwidth of perceptions of the hospital, the administrators, and the board of trustees. Perhaps the BOCC should remove the entire Board, as they wanted for MCTA --- lack of attention to details at all levels of government. Shame!

boy101 1 year, 11 months ago

ReallyCraigReally, you have to be Bryce or Al because no one else has shared any of your same feelings.Sure Bryce stated he has stayed out of reporting decisions concerning the hospital. He has his lap dog "Al" to do that so he can hide behind his dog. The real question is how some letters to the editor seemed to get lost and not published. Hmm, maybe his lap dog ate them? I don't work for the hospital and never have. Haven't really been a fan of George but I'm tired of the same old BS the CDP is trying to spread in our community. Did you read their attack on our teachers? Bryce was derelict in his duties and did not read it, he says, but his lap dog Al can't say that. That was fair and unbiased, reallycraigreally?? The CDP has turned into a rag and change is needed. And Taxpayer, Bryce and Al deserve more respectful treatment? Have you heard the term karma?

Taxpayer 1 year, 11 months ago

boy101 -- Karma is sometimes referred to as a "moral law of cause and effect." Karma is both an encouragement to do good and to avoid evil, as well as an explanation for whatever good or evil befalls a person.

Gosh, if there were more debate in the community, and less hiding things under the rug, perhaps we would have a better community. If you take a journalism class or two, you would learn that newspapers should be the ones providing the information for open discussions and debates. The teacher editorial got people talking, and that was good. Sometimes giving information to the community helps to make positive change. Look at the archives and see all of the letters, pro and con, and who signed them --- Makes you go hmmmmmmmmmm.