Attendance issues hurting many prospective MCHS grads

— With graduation just a month away, a significant number of seniors at Moffat County High School are scrambling to meet graduation requirements, with attendance being the main issue.

MCHS Principal Thom Schnellinger spoke about the upcoming graduation with Moffat County School Board members Thursday, telling them that as many as 20 percent of seniors have significant enough attendance issues to endanger their chances of graduating this spring.

“The attendance thing, it affects us significantly,” Schnellinger said. “Those missing significant time, what I would call 10 or more days in a semester, are at a significant disadvantage to do well.”

Schnellinger reported to the board that the most recent count had Moffat County with 141 seniors, with nine of them likely to need at least an extra semester to complete graduation requirements. On the flip side, 11 students already “graduated” a semester early and have moved on to other education or to work.

Those students still will walk in the May 25 ceremony with the rest of the class.

Schnellinger said he sees attitudes about attending school as part of the issue. For many students, if the importance of attendance hasn’t been instilled in them by high school, it’s difficult to convince them of it as teenagers, he said.

He also was quick to point out that there is a great deal to celebrate about this year’s senior class. Fifteen Moffat County students have taken classes at Colorado Northwestern Community College, with five of them maintaining a 4.0 GPA through 30 or more credit hours.

“Children who attend school every day do very, very well,” he said. “We have students that have taken every opportunity — they’ve come to school and worked hard and they’ve done very well.”

Nate Waggenspack can be reached at 970-875-1795 or nwaggenspack@CraigDailyPress.com

Comments

Patrick Germond 12 months ago

If the kids, who are now adults, have done the work, who cares if they show up and sit in a chair? Seriously I'm asking a question here. In college attendance is up to the individual and its up to the student. Do the work, hand in the assignments and that's it. Going to class makes it easier to do the assignments, but that's on the student. If they do their work and make the grade, not based on attendance, then let them graduate. Is the attendance policy based on federal dollars? Meaning kids need to sit in a chair for the school to get paid? Or is the attendance policy set at a state level? Or do we impose our own attendance policy? I would like to hear more on this.

Cole White 12 months ago

1) Patrick that is just retarded! Lets just get rid of high school all together and just have an equivalent exam. Wait...that already have that, it's called a GED. It's for kids who can't make it through high school and meet the minimum requirements that the US and its States have established to get out of high school that are a JOKE compared to the rest of the world. 2) The lazy and complacent attitude of students is reflective of the Leadership. It's time for Schnellinger to go! He's a bad administrator and under his leadership MCHS is at the bottom of one of the worst States in America. 3) Parents of these geniuses who can't get out of bed and get to school are just as much to blame. Too many of our youth's parents in this region are lazy, uninvolved and ignorant to what their kids are doing.

Patrick Germond 12 months ago

Lol 1340, I'm not saying get rid of attendance requirements. I was trying to figure out if easing them would help. Because unlike you, I was trying not to point out that most kids, that have turned into adults, are just fed up with Schnellanger and the ignorant crap that is shoved at them day in and day out by management. Again, I feel this is most likely the fault of the administration, and ultimately the school board. These kids are just done with you, and that's why they they just leave. They don't want to be in your schools another second. That's what they tell me.

Patrick Germond 12 months ago

PS. I put in a request for the second time for the paper work and documents to run for the school board this fall. Sandy Johns is leaving and I'm running for her seat. Hopefully they send the stuff out to me this time. Accountability, rewards and replacement will be my goal. If the person is doing good, I will push for rewards. If they have been paid to fix a problem, and they have had plenty of time to do so, but instead they've failed, I'll regretfully push for resignation and replacement. I think we put that off long enough.

mountup 12 months ago

Patrick, I don't know how long it has been since you have been in college. But as a current college student attending a University let me fill you in. When you come into any class, professors TAKE ATTENDANCE! If you are gone for more than 3 classes, they drop you from the class and you receive an F. Attendance is important! Also being a past graduate from MCHS I can tell you that about 75% of that high school are not mature enough to get themselves to school. Attendance is so necessary for a high school student. I see kids everyday in college struggle with simple math, simple reading and writing skills because they were lazy in high school and most likely did not attend classes. Would you encourage your own child to stay home from school because he already has all his work done? If you would, that is just a shame. You would be the one who is taking knowledge away from your kid.

Patrick Germond 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Mount up, you are arguing a false argument. I said, "If they've already done the work, and met the requirements." My question is, "Are we holding kids back solely for the sake of attendance?" At CNCC, that has a large adult studentent body, leans more on the work, and less on attendance. Because adults have kids, jobs and other responsibilities. So as long as the work gets done, on time, you'll get about 80% of your grade completed. Going to class does however, makes it a whole lot easier to do the work. Again, I would like to have here more on this issue. Some more inside details if someone with knowledge could please provide them that would be great.

Patrick Germond 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Mountups argument is actually precisely what I'm talking about. She's in college with students that were passed on, based on attendance, rather than academic achievement. And folks, that's the problem.

mountup 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Holding kids back solely for the sake of attendance? Yes. I believe that no matter what unless you are very ill or have personal issues, you should be in that chair. It doesn't matter it you have good grades or have done all the work. Attendance is mandatory.

If you did all the things that you needed to at work, would you just not go?

Clearly your argument is invalid.

Cole White 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Patrick, Got ya....misinterpreted your comment. I'm glad to see we're on the same page. I agree that we need new blood in both the high school administration and the school board. The laziness behind our athletic director has been alleviated but that is just the tip of the iceberg. I too am looking at running for the school board this fall and I hope if we get new blood that it won't be just to continue to accept the excuses and the status quo .....best of luck!

Mountup....I"m sure Pat is not advocating reducing standards, he's just asking tough questions that no one else is asking. "WHY?" is the necessary thing to ask many many times before you should settle on the answer as being valid.

Patrick Germond 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Way to go 1340!!! I've been reading up on the state standards and ethic for school boards in Colorado. Lets just say our board is in gross violation of ethics from my reading of the standards, so far. Did you know they take an oath to keep those standards and ethics? They do. Did you know one of the first ethics to keep is that they have to have public meetings? Which they get around by having meetings the public can watch, but not preticapate in. Okay that's fine. Then right after that little ethics rule, two bullet points down, it states another rule. They have to let students, and the public participate in the meeting and be able to give their input. Our board does not do this. Joe Petrone refused me 12 times to be put on the agenda. My issue, the school board should get input from the public. This school district doesn't just live in a bubble, they live behind walls. And, they violate their oaths of office and the very ethics and standards they promised to keep. Gee, I wonder if that's what it's like at the top of an educational organization if that would effect the quality of the whole school district?

Militaryfam09 11 months, 1 week ago

I have to disagree with what some people are saying about the whole attendance. These kids are getting ready to start a kids on their own. Some will go to college where attendance is of high importance. Colleges still grade on academics as well as attendance. Some will go in the military where attendance is a high priority. If you don't show up to the job in the military, that person will be punished in accordance to the UMCJ (Uniforme Military Code of Justice). When a person enters a career, and you don't go into work; that's automatic firing with no questions asked. So I support the attendance polices of Moffat county high school. For all of you that don't care to look past the end of your nose, all the principle is trying to do is teach the kids a life long lesson. He is looking out for their well being. I would rather he enforce the attendance rather then having all those kids living on the streets with no home and no job.