A notice of a liquor license hearing May 22 for Tarango’s Night Club hangs on the door Monday at 535 Green St. Residents are circulating a petition against the liquor license approval, which they plan to present Tuesday to the Craig City Council.

Photo by Bridget Manley

Nightclub hearing postponed: Residents petitioning against Tarango’s opening

In other action ...

At its regular meeting Tuesday, the Craig City Council:

• Approved, 7-0, April 24 meeting minutes.

• Approved, 7-0, April bills for $389,437.58

• Approved, 7-0, the renewal of a tavern liquor license for Lariat Lee Liquors.

• Approved, 7-0, a 3.2-percent beer retail license for Mini Mart, Inc., dba Loaf N’ Jug, at 2441 W. Victory Way.

• Approved, 7-0, the renewal of a hotel and restaurant liquor license for Carelli’s Pizzeria.

• Approved, 7-0, a proclamation declaring May 2012 as higher education month.

• Approved, 7-0, allocating $1,500 to the Moffat County Tourism Association to help fund a Norman Rockwell window art program.

• Approved, 7-0, participating in the National League of Cities service line warranty program.

• Heard April 2012 Craig Police Department monthly report.

A public hearing slated for Tuesday night on a proposed Craig nightclub has been postponed until May 22.

More than 25 residents attended Tuesday’s Craig City Council meeting, including Archie and Dorcas Albaugh, who oppose Steamboat Springs resident Victor Tarango’s aspirations of opening Tarango’s Nightclub at 535 Green St.

The Albaughs plan to be out of town May 22 and wanted to make sure their concerns about the nightclub were included in the council record.

“I was quoted in the newspaper, rightfully so, that I would be hearing noise from the place,” Archie told council members. “What the paper didn’t quote is Moffat County has been statistically shown to be one of the most unhealthiest places to live on account of the smoking and drinking.

“Here we have a nightclub coming in that will just promote more of the same for our youth. It’s a shame we can’t find better things for our youth to be involved in.”

Dorcas voiced concerns about increased traffic.

“The most disconcerting thing is that those of us that live on that block were not given any notice this was in the works,” she said. “I’m all for recreation, but it’s a quality of life thing and I just question how appropriate a nightclub is in that location.”

Also in the audience Tuesday were local residents Jen Kenney and Randy Looper who are spearheading a citizen petition effort asking the city council to deny Tarango’s retail gaming and liquor license applications.

“We, the undersigned, are concerned citizens who urge the Craig City Council to deny the tavern liquor license applied for by Victor Tarango, dba Tarango’s Night Club” located at 535 Green St., the petition reads.

Looper, co-owner of Elk Run Inn located just south of Tarango’s, declined to comment on why he backs the petitions. But, he said there has been good reception from other business owners. “Most businesses around here who can sign, have,” he said.

About 25 business owners and 75 residents had signed one of several copies of the petition currently moving through Craig neighborhoods, Looper said.

“We’ll get a lot more,” Looper said. “With an extra two weeks until the hearing we’ll be able to walk a lot more streets, inform more people and get a lot more signatures.”

Albaugh is one of those residents who have signed the petition.

Both his office and his home are located near Tarango’s, and noise the nightclub could generate is one of his top concerns.

“There will be drinkers that get drinking and will stand outside (because they cannot smoke inside) and holler and yell at each other, and I will hear it and it will keep my wife and myself awake,” said Albaugh, 69. He’s also worried about Tarango’s patrons damaging vehicles parked on nearby streets. “I’m not saying … all drinkers will do that, but it tends to happen,” he said.

There have been some entities that have not joined the petition.

Surrounding government and nonpolitical entities— including the Craig Post Office, which is located in the same building as the proposed nightclub— are legally restricted from signing, Looper said. And, some people said they supported the idea, but wanted to avoid publicity, he said.

The petition effort started a few weeks before Tarango made his first application for retail gaming and liquor licenses.

City council members unanimously denied the application in March after a background check conducted by the Craig Police Department found Tarango allegedly provided false information on his application.

He allegedly indicated he had no criminal convictions or driving privilege suspensions. But the background check revealed he was reportedly arrested in 2000 for DUI and was later convicted of driving while ability impaired, which resulted in a 30-day license suspension and a year of unsupervised probation. He reportedly faced other license suspensions in 2000, 2001 and 2010 for failure to pay child support, according to the police report.

The city council was initially scheduled to consider his second liquor license application Tuesday, but the hearing was rescheduled because the notice was not posted in time to comply with the city’s standard 30-day waiting period, Craig City Clerk Shirley Seely said. Tarango did not attend Tuesday’s council meeting and could not be reached for comment.

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

WrestlinRockies 2 years, 3 months ago

"Archie told council members. “What the paper didn’t quote is Moffat County has been statistically shown to be one of the most unhealthiest places to live on account of the smoking and drinking."

??? Archie...get a life!!!!

Just be truthful and tell everyone this is a matter of you most likely being a biased bigot and nothing else.

Your quote about active and healthy living in this county is so off base....try pointing a finger in the right direction, back at yourself and the thousand of other lazy parents here that don't really care if their kids make it out of Craig.....STUCK IN A CYCLE AND YOU LOVE IT! The school system is at greater fault for making your kids a fat lazy little twerp than the nightclub owner ever will be.

He has every ounce of Rights guaranteed to him by powers much grater than yours to open that business, just as you unfortunately do to open that fecal spewing mouth of yours.

myopinion1 2 years, 3 months ago

The pettition is a two way street, let's get a pettition for this license. Give the guy a chance. All this stuff about the noise and fights is foolish talk and just another reason for these hotel people to stop yet more progress for Craig! As I stated before;" there has already been dances at this location, and no complaints about noise." Again as far as I know, this is the only club or bar in town with security in place.

craignative 2 years, 3 months ago

I still believe they guy lied. Therefore he can't be trusted.

When you bring a bar in, no matter the location, there will be fights and noise.

The non alcoholic dances are probably quicernaras (sp) for teenage girls anyways.

I can almost bet there are very few fights and noise complaints from an empty building as we speak. However, I can gurantee there will be more illegal activity if a bar is opened there since there will be people drinking and doing "other" things!!

craignative 2 years, 3 months ago

Wrestlinrockies: Also, Archie has every right to speak his opinion. Did you speak yours at the meeting? Probably not.

Let people have their own opinions without the trash talk, especially against ones own children.

jwow12 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow....I was reading the comments from yesterday's article and today's, I find that really sad that we are in 2012 and there are still people out there that use racist comments to bring others down. I fully support victor for trying to do something diffrent and help people find a good place to have fun. I think that people judge him without even knowing who he really is. The things that he has a record for happened almost 12 yrs. ago. He is a good husband and a great dad. People are not perfect and we all make mistakes all the time, hey even the president of the US makes mistakes. Mr. Tarango has made his mistakes and has paid the price he deseves a second chance. As for the comments about him selling alcohol to children that is such an ignorant comment I can't beleive how that idiotic thought comes to someone. There are liquor stores and bars everywhere and that does not happen so why do you think Victor will do diffrently? O and the comment about the "amigos" peeing on the post office box that is just plain offensive. There are people who are awful and vadilize things but you can't stereo type and make everyone to be that way. I have attended two of his dances and I did not see anything offensive or illigal happen. I had a great time and he had security there and everyone was having fun. The hispanics are not animals so stop treating them like one. So i really hope that the people who made those racist comments are not teaching there children to think and act that way they are just adding to the visious cycle of racism in this world. I strongly believe that Victor should be given this chance and if he make horrible mistakes there are consiquences and he will have to deal with them, and then everyone can make their judgments so what is the problem????? Please don't judge everyone for others mistakes.

Marilynn Hill 2 years, 3 months ago

Okay, so my comments never appeared, will try this one again; weird because I never attacked anyone like others have in this blog...

What I don't understand about the comments here is that many are up in arms that the establishment is so close to a school and residential area and then promptly forgetting that a liquor store is just on the corner of the Post Office property…let's just shut that down as well. I didn't know that Tarango's Night Club was going to operate during school hours; that is new to me.

From my understanding about the filing for the license, this establishment is for those aged 21 and over. How is the 'policing' of this age limit any different at this location than it would be at anywhere else where liquor is served, including the Popular Bar, etc?

The amigos 'peeing' on any property just made me cringe at the stereotyping. Drunk people no matter what their nationality do stupid and inappropriate things, etc., but if you are going to be drunk you are not going to only do it at one establishment. I have been to Mathers Bar on more than one occasion and saw many drunk people and even was there once when Mr. Mathers himself threw someone out of the bar into the parking lot because they had had one too many and they looked plainly 'white' to me.

Seems like a witch hunt to me and a whole lot of judging going on. Why don't we start policing our own children and teaching them right and wrong instead of shutting down or not even allowing an establishment to open because of what our children might or might not do; it is called self control. Why punish everyone for inability of a few who cannot or choose not to control their alcohol intake?

WrestlinRockies, I find your comments about Archie to be very rude. I really think you could have made your point without saying some of the things you did. I am neither for nor against this nightclub. We no longer go to bars or if we do, it's for happy hour and a bit of visiting with friends before the night life gets going. I also don't know the man who wants to open this nightclub, so I don't know whether to believe any of the comments about him or not. And it doens't matter what I think anyway. Living in the county doesn't allow me a say in what the city does even if it might affect me!

jwow12 2 years, 3 months ago

Has Mr.Tarago given a statement and admitted that he lied? What if did not understand the question? It was 10 years since he had those charges.

cag81625 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow, Wrestlin, do you save that venom for anyone taking an opposing viewpoint to yours? I'm sure you're the apple of your mommas eye and loved by all.

greenie52 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey ranger520 your comment was posted at 11:49 am and your at work . Why dont you get off of here and go fix something on one of the units and don't try and lie that your not at work!