A notice of a liquor license hearing May 22 for Tarango’s Night Club hangs on the door Monday at 535 Green St. Residents are circulating a petition against the liquor license approval, which they plan to present Tuesday to the Craig City Council.

Photo by Bridget Manley

Opposed to proposed night club: Petitions circulating against Tarango's

At a glance …

• Petitions are circulating to businesses and residents in protest of a new nightclub in Craig.

• As of Monday, about 75 community members and 25 business owners had signed the petition asking the Craig City Council to deny Tarango’s second liquor license application.

• The petitions will be presented today to the city council.

• A hearing for the nightclub owner’s second retail gaming and liquor license applications has been rescheduled for May 22.

Quotable:

“I’m convinced I will be hearing Tarango’s if Tarango’s goes in.”

— Archie Albaugh, of Craig, on why he signed a petition asking the Craig City Council to deny a liquor license to Tarango’s Night Club.

If a proposed nightclub gets the nod from the Craig City Council this month, Archie Albaugh is worried it won’t bode well for his neighborhood.

“I’m convinced I will be hearing Tarango’s if Tarango’s goes in,” he said, referring to a new business that has yet to open near his home in the 600 block of Pershing Street.

Albaugh put his concerns on paper, signing a petition slated to go before the council today.

As of Monday, about 25 business owners and 75 residents had put their names on three or four copies of the petition making its way through the city, said Randy Looper, co-owner of the nearby Elk Run Inn.

“We, the undersigned, are concerned citizens who urge the Craig City Council to deny the tavern liquor license applied for by Victor Tarango, dba Tarango’s Night Club” located at 535 Green St., the petition reads.

Randy Looper and his wife, Cindy, are among the four local residents who are gathering signatures for the petitions, which have been in circulation since mid-March.

Jen Kenney, a Craig Police Department detective, is also circulating petitions. In an email, Kenney clarified her work on the petition is solely as a Craig resident and not a function of her position with the police department.

The petition started a few weeks before nightclub owner Victor Tarango made his first application for retail gaming and liquor licenses.

The Craig City Council unanimously denied the application after a background check conducted by the police department found Tarango allegedly provided false information on his applications.

He allegedly indicated he had no criminal convictions or driving privilege suspensions. But the background check revealed he was reportedly arrested in 2000 for DUI and was later convicted of driving while ability impaired, which resulted in a 30-day license suspension and a year of unsupervised probation.

He reportedly faced other license suspensions in 2000, 2001 and 2010 for failure to pay child support, according to the police report.

Tarango could not be reached for comment Monday.

The city council was initially scheduled to consider his second liquor license application today, but the hearing was rescheduled for May 22 because notice was not posted early enough before the meeting, Craig City Clerk Shirley Seely said.

Randy Looper plans to present the petitions to the council today, in case there is discussion, he said.

Randy, whose business is located just south of Tarango’s, declined to comment on why he backs the petitions. But, he said there has been good reception from other business owners.

“Most businesses around here who can sign, have,” he said.

Overall, though, reaction to the petitions has been mixed.

Surrounding government and nonpolitical entities— including the Craig Post Office, which is located in the same building as the proposed nightclub— are legally restricted from signing, he said.

Some people said they supported the idea, but wanted to avoid publicity, Randy said.

However, “we’ve gotten people who are very receptive,” he said.

Albaugh was one of them.

Both his office and his home are located near Tarango’s, and noise the nightclub could generate is one of his top concerns.

“There will be drinkers that get drinking and will stand outside (because they cannot smoke inside) and holler and yell at each other, and I will hear it and it will keep my wife and myself awake,” said Albaugh, 69.

He’s also worried about Tarango’s patrons damaging vehicles parked on nearby streets.

“I’m not saying … all drinkers will do that, but it tends to happen,” he said.

Bridget Manley can be reached at 875-1793 or bmanley@craigdailypress.com.

Comments

Marilynn Hill 2 years, 2 months ago

I myself am a parent of two children under the age of fourteen, but I have to say that I am not opposed to a nightclub in town, simply because it is a nightclub. How I see the issue is it is all about economic growth and adds to the tax base of Craig.

So many people in town say they want economic growth, but when it comes in a form of adult entertainment, suddenly their noses are turned up. Why not while we are at it close down Mather's Bar or the People's Bar because of the possible issues of noise and vandalism? I can see why the Loopers would be concerned because their establishment backs to the club and it could be detrimental for their business if noise flows from the establishment, but again this is something that can be regulated, basically a three strikes and you're out.

What I question more than anything is the character of the owner and the issue that he has not been forthright in his past dealing with alcohol and repetitive suspensions of his driver's license, all showing that Mr. Tarango skirts his personal responsibilities and many of these issues continue to crop up for him.

Time to put down the 'pitch forks' and have a emotion free discussion and see if something can be worked out based on the merits of the business and not the fears of what could be.

GlacierDragon 2 years, 2 months ago

Excellent points, Justiceortruth! I agree. Many cities have night clubs tucked right in the middle of neighborhoods and it works out. (I'm talking back yards backing onto the parking lot of the club.)
I also understand Looper's concern since they are pretty close. Then again, being able to walk to a local night club could be an added draw to their establishment.

Shaun Hadley 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't really see this as an attack on nightclubs at all - I think that Craig would actually benefit from a high class, modern, professional club or bar, regardless of my opinion of alcohol or bars (I wouldn't mind in the least if they ALL got closed). My personal problem with this club, is the owner, and his actions. Alcohol KILLS, and if he is willing to blatantly lie to obtain the right to sell it, who is to say he will not blatantly break laws as well and deal his poison to whomever he sees fit? And this is not even taking into account the sheer idiocy required to lie on a background check in the first place - They actually check the background checks, surprisingly enough. Or the fact that the state had to take this deadbeat dads drivers license away to force him to support his own children. This guy should reap what he sowed, and he should lose every penny he invested towards it. Perhaps if he had put the cash that he spent setting the place up towards his child support, he would not have had to lie in the first place. I bet the couple hundred bucks he prematurely spent painting a Horse with a jockey on it's back (Huh? Tarangos Horse Track?) on the front window would have bought his children some nice things.

craignative 2 years, 2 months ago

I have no problem with someone putting in a night club in Craig. However, there is a problem when the applicant can't tell the truth. I also have a problem with the location of the club. It is less than 200 yards from an elementary school. The library is right behind the establishment. There is a liquor store that is right next to the club. How will the owner of the night club ensure customers will not bring in alcohol they purchase from the liquor store? This community is not a big city where urban sprawl is dominant. There has to be another location that would be better suited to meet the needs for a night club.

However, the biggest issue is with credibility of the owner. He can't be trusted. He should not be given a year then have a chance to re-apply. To me he had his chance. It is a huge responsibility having a liquor license. He clearly doesn't understand that responsibility. How can he be responsible with a liquor license if he can't tell the truth? if someone is over served at his bar and goes out and kills someone in a drunk driving accident, do we really think he will cooperate with authorities regarding the fatality? You be the judge?

Colette Erickson 2 years, 2 months ago

Is this the guy who brought in those 5 horses from either CA or AZ w/o brand papers and health certificate? They had piroplasmosis and had to be destroyed.

For what it's worth, I doubt the club and the elementary school (or the library for that matter) will be open at the same time. So, that aspect of the location doesn't matter.

Colette Erickson 2 years, 2 months ago

"A Craig man has been issued court summonses after allegedly bringing seven horses into the state without the proper health certificates. Victor Tarango was issued summonses for seven counts of importing livestock without obtaining health certificates and two counts of failure to obtain brand inspection, Moffat County Sheriff’s Deputy Gary Nichols said."

WrestlinRockies 2 years, 2 months ago

So does this mean my Strip Club will be welcomed with open arms? Don't worry.....I am going to have a courtesy board out front with the schedule....so if your daughters are working you know not to come in that night (or maybe you do if that is your thing).....

myopinion1 2 years, 2 months ago

In previous comments people have brought up the issue of this club being a noise problem and the posible problems with people picking up their mail. I can tell you that there has already been an alchol free dance at this location and there were no noise complaints and no problems at the post office.

It should also be known that at all of the previous and upcoming events held by terrango there has been and will continue to be security in place, both inside and outside of the club. I don't believe this is the case at any other bar or tavern in town.

I was at the meeting where Mr. Terrango was denied his liquer license, I believe that the "lies" he told were more of a communication issue, as his english is very poor.

The spanish people of this community need a place to meet and enjoy their culture and their music. I say give him a chance if he messes it up take his license or what ever the procedure is, but give him a chance!!

David Moore 2 years, 2 months ago

You know ranger, you and I are like black and white, yin and yang, tall or short. I have problems with a lot of what you say, then comes along something that we actually agree on, how weird. I actually took your advice as well and e-mailed the mayor...and stopped by the Elk Run Inn and signed the petition too. Anyway, I agree, there are other places to go and this one is not needed so close to many establishments where kids and families are present, ie: Sunset elementary, the post office, a hotel where people want peace and quiet, residential areas and City Market. Big difference between a non-alcohol event and a bunch of drunken amigos peeing in the post office all over our boxes because they don't like the way the government treats them. Yea, go ahead with the racist remarks, but we all know how this place is going to be...not some place for people like me that is for sure. We already have over 30 places to drink and have fun in Craig, why another? Why not open up a family restaurant instead, a steakhouse or something, anything but another place to get loaded and revel in the surrounding neighborhood. Don't think for one second I am against progress, I have stated my position on that before and I am all for it....just not in this fashion. This is the last thing we need.

David Moore 2 years, 2 months ago

On another note, will someone who attended the city council meeting please post the thoughts and results here tonight regarding this issue. It would be nice to know.

David Moore 2 years, 2 months ago

Point taken. I am a fence sitter, and yes, sometimes my backside is pretty sore from all the barbed wire. But, I like to weigh all the options and then make a decision, usually for the betterment of us all and not necessarily within my own belief parameters. This, as we both agree, is not one of those "betterment" issues. While I believe progress is key for Craig, I do not believe this is the way to get it, or go about it. If this establishment were located somewhere else, say an industrial or commercial zone (Mathers, Popular Bars((not peoples bar)) and the "whatever the name is now" bar at the Holiday( more out of town), I would not have near the issue. However being smack dab in the middle of a multi use, multi generation zone, no way, not right now, not right in a year. The lies and deceit are one thing, the location of it all is my issue. I have made my point, signed my name, and sent my e-mails, it is all up to the council now, hope they make a rational decision.

Jason Phillips 2 years, 2 months ago

David, you actually raise some valid concerns regarding the location, but the comment about amigos peeing on things because they don't agree with our government is straight up racism and detracts from an otherwise sound argument that you present. Don't be ignorant.

Jobeth Haydon-Tupa 2 years, 2 months ago

After reading the articles associated with this newest business endeavor, and the comments of the readers, I see everyone's point of view, but I would be willing to bet, more time will be spent trying to block this business, than it will actually remain open. A Night Club, in a small town, allure at first, business will be closed within a year..... just watch.

Marilynn Hill 2 years, 2 months ago

What I don't understand about the comments here is that many are up in arms that the establishment is so close to a school and residential area and then promptly forgetting that a liquor store is just on the corner of the Post Office property...let's just shut that down as well. I didn't know that Tarango's Night Club was going to operate during school hours; that is new to me.

From my understanding about the filing for the license, this establishment is for those aged 21 and over. How is the 'policing' of this age limit any different at this location than it would be at anywhere else where liquor is served, including the Popular Bar, etc?

The amigos 'peeing' on any property just made me cringe at the stereotyping. Drunk people no matter what their nationality do stupid and inappropriate things, etc., but if you are going to be drunk you are not going to only do it at one establishment. I have been to Mathers Bar on more than one occasion and saw many drunk people and even was there once when Mr. Mathers himself threw someone out of the bar into the parking lot because they had had one too many and they looked plainly 'white' to me.

Seems like a witch hunt to me and a whole lot of judging going on. Why don't we start policing our own children and teaching them right and wrong instead of shutting down or not even allowing an establishment to open because of what our children might or might not do; it is called self control. Why punish everyone for inability of a few who cannot or choose not to control their alcohol intake?