Letter: Denver Post's coverage unprofessional

I have never written a letter to the editor before, but after reading Sara Burnett's article in Wednesday's Denver Post, I'm compelled to write.

How lucky we are in Craig to get unbiased reporting on local political events. Burnett's article was filled with omissions and nonfactual statements about Mitt Romney's trip to Craig.

She stated that attendance was only 500 people, that we have not been affected much by the present administration's policies on coal and energy, and neglected to mention the oil and gas industry and the effect that present policies have had.

She neglected to mention that Peabody Coal is employing temporary workers through Price Mine Service because of policies and uncertainty of the future.

She stated that there had been no layoffs and the coal industry was "very stable." We all know better.

At least Mitt Romney was willing to come to our community and listen to local leaders and businesses and hear their concerns.

Do you really think that our current president would be willing to do that? Yeah, OK. Thanks for reporting the visit in a professional and unbiased way.

Steve Lathrop

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

native_craig_guy 2 years, 4 months ago

Peabody employs temps through Price Mine Service because it is cheaper to have the labor, risk is mitigated, insurance rates are cheaper, workman's comp insurance premiums are lower and they don't have the burden of hiring and training workers....

Denise Bagley 2 years, 4 months ago

Steve-- I totally agree with you. I actually commented for the first time on one of two articles Sara Burnett wrote in the Denver Post prior to Mitt Romney's campaign stop. In her articles she basically questioned why Romney would even come to Craig, CO, since it was "more than a four hour drive from Denver and the suburban areas that are expected to sway the outcome of the Nov. 6 election." In both articles she has misinformation about the area and her liberal bias is glaringly obvious. She, like most on the Front Range think if it happens outside of Denver, then it doesn't matter. I stopped subscribing to the Denver Post years ago due to the liberal slant to most of the news articles. You can read the article to which I was referring here: http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2012/05/27/mitt-romney-coal-regulation-colorado/71969/

Jason Phillips 2 years, 4 months ago

This is an incoherently partisan critique. Steve, go ahead and name one specific policy that has caused Peabody to change their hiring. I'd love to hear it.

jaxx 2 years, 4 months ago

Peabody uses PMS employees more as a screening process than temporary labor. Many of the PMS workers become regular Twentymile employees after a period of time. But numbers of total employees are down from 4 to 6 years ago. Coal has been attacked in Colorado (remember House Bill1365) and I believe it does set the tone for how coal companies view their future. Coal must become more competitive and the quickest way is to trim their labor costs. Personally I believe that America will keep burning coal well past my lifetime and Northwest Colorado will remain the state's leader in coal production. I agree with Steve that regulation of the oil and gas industry has hurt Northwest Colorado more than regulations on the coal inustry. Numbers of workers in these industries seem to be very reduced from numbers 10 years ago. House Bill 1365 was rather interesting as it seemed to give natural gas an advantage over an ally; the coal industry. I believe the real winner will be natural gas from other states as the front range regulated most of Colorado natural gas out of the market. Of course, this is just my opinion I could be wrong.

WrestlinRockies 2 years, 4 months ago

I applaud her and commend her on reporting the truth! It is something that this newspaper is very good at overlooking...and if you want to speak about Bias.... March your happy cheeks downtown to Yampa Ave. and enjoy a day at the offices of the Daily Press.

Him coming to Craig was nothing but a half cocked attempt at causing a rouse in Colorado....Why Craig....because no one else in Colorado is buying a word this plasticized troll is spewing.

I wish she had wrote a story prior to this one that was titled "Keep Mitt Out of Colorado".

He should drop his bid for President and go for an elected seat in Utah...that is way more his speed and keeps the wackos where they belong...West of the Colorado state line!

s 2 years, 4 months ago

Everyone knows the Denver Post is just another Liberal rag...

Denise Bagley 2 years, 4 months ago

WrestlinRockies - You obviously are not a Romney fan. Regardless, the reason for the criticism was not that she is Republican or Democrat, it's that her writing contains factual errors. Everyone knows the Denver Post slants liberally, along with most of the mainstream media. If Ms. Burnett is going to report the news, then she should stick to the facts and not let her personal political bias skew her writing. I think Mr. Lathrop's original reason for writing was in reference to Ms. Burnett's printing incorrect information, and now he's being attacked because of his political views. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, and I have no issue with people who have different beliefs than myself. That's what makes this country great. We can agree to disagree and make our voices heard at the polls. I wish the CDP would adopt the same policy as the Pilot, and not allow comments unless you list your name. If you are going to criticize others, why not stand behind your words with your real name, instead of hiding behind an anonymous moniker?

jammer 2 years, 3 months ago

Who is a Romney fan???

Every person that woke up one morn to throw their hat into the republican presidential candidate circus flew in to first place over Romney.

I'd give the Denver post more points for good news over Fox news.

Denise Bagley 2 years, 3 months ago

jammer-- Who is or is not a Romney fan was not the point of the conversation in the first place. I just want to know why people who don't support Obama get attacked for their views. The original article had to do with the competency and accuracy of a Denver Post reporter, and ended up with rudeness and insults towards those that happen to not be Obama supporters. To answer your question-- I am a Romney fan--as are many others, and I am proud to cast my vote for him in November. I can only HOPE that in November we get someone in the White House that really can bring about CHANGE, because we can't afford four more years of broken promises.