Letter: Arms Trade Treaty a serious wake-up call

Your freedom and way of life are in danger.

On July 27, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is scheduled to sign the Arms Trade Treaty being drafted by the United Nations, and at this time it includes language that will give the UN, with its assortment of dictators, despots and a large part of the world that hates America, a say in what we as free Americans will be able to do pertaining to owning firearms.

This includes registration, use, ammunition, transportation and any other control they can think of, including confiscation.

This has been in the works for many years, but the big difference is we now have a president (the most anti-gun president in our history) who is more than willing to sign away rights given to us by the U.S. Constitution to this lot of America haters.

Even some thought to be our friends have advocated for this control by the UN. President George W. Bush removed us from these negotiations. President Barack Obama had to actively request our reentry. Common sense tells us his intention is to ram this through, and we have all seen the shameless way the Democrat-controlled Senate rolls over for anything Obama wants.

This treaty has the ability to override the Second Amendment and leave us under the control of people who hate us. We have a president who would not hesitate to sign our rights away and would even be happy to do so. One only has to look at the Obama record to see how he has spit on our constitution every time it gets in the way of his agenda.

Consider that this, being an election year, we have a lot more power than usual over our elected officials. They want our vote. Now is the time to apply pressure and demand that they apply pressure to Clinton and Obama not to sign this treaty.

There are a lot of Democratic senators up for reelection who shamelessly supported Obama and have nothing but a mess to show for it and no record to run on. They are worried about their jobs. Now is the time to apply pressure to them while they are in a mood to listen. If you wait until after the election this could wind up being voted on in a lame duck session where there will be those who have nothing to lose doing the voting.

This transcends Democrat, Republican, conservative, liberal, anti-gun, pro-gun, hunters and non-hunters.

Whether you like it or not, the Second Amendment is the only amendment with the power to defend the others. If it goes, which one is going to be next?

Wake up, people. You are witnessing the destruction of our freedoms and way of life being brought to you by a president who has a much different vision of what America should be than the vast majority of true Americans.

This is a serious wake-up call.

John Williams

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

Andrew Russo 1 year, 9 months ago

Ratification would require passage by a 2/3 majority of the U.S. Senate. In 1992, U.S. President George H. W. Bush, Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and Mexican President Carlos Salinas signed the NAFTA Treaty. That did not make it law.

Wuzarepublican 1 year, 9 months ago

This letter by Mr. Williams is total BS. The editors of the Craig Daily Press need to screen the letters for fact/fiction scores. This scare tactic has been going on for a couple of years. There is no truthful basis for the assertions. Read up for yourself: http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/untreaty.asp

Patrick Germond 1 year, 9 months ago

Wuzarepublican, you trust your government way, way to much.

Wuzarepublican 1 year, 9 months ago

Patrick---you trust internet mythology way too much. Check it out.

nwco_prepper 1 year, 9 months ago

Patrick you are way too right! Its sad that we can no longer trust our government! Wazarepublican... how do you know your website is absolutly fact? It could be all a myth itself! I personally think John is right!

nostrashawnus 1 year, 9 months ago

Just remember this....the reason you have the 1st Amendment right to complain and discuss this issue is BECAUSE you have the 2nd Amendment. Try as they might, they will NEVER take away our guns.

Patrick Germond 1 year, 9 months ago

I have a relative that loves the President. Loves MSMBC. However, speaking for myself, I see the media and the government lieing to me. How's that some may ask? Simple, I don't do drugs or alcohol and I have a good memory. I remember what they have said. Its called knowing the truth. Here's one of my latest examples. I didn't get this from Fox, it's all my own memory. When violence began to escalate on the Mexican boarder a couple of years ago I watched Hilary and Holder give speeches calling for the assault weapons ban to be passed permanently. I watched them say those words. Now that Fast and Furious has blown up on them, they accuse the NRA and the Republicans of lies and crazy talk when they want to see documents on the mater. When it's proposed that F&F was done to bring back the assault weapons ban the left say's that nothing but a crazy fabricated delusion talk. But I know and remember our government helped cause the violence, then called for gun laws to be placed on the American people. I heard it, and seen it. I wished I was crazy and maybe this wouldn't be so scary. Maybe I would trust my government.

Patrick Germond 1 year, 9 months ago

Here's another scary step our government just took. It's the welfare rule change. The President changed the law by dictate and said welfare recipients no longer have to work to collect welfare. Some may see this as a move to buy votes with tax payer dollars but I see more in it than that. Now one must decide, do I go on welfare, or do I go to work to support those who won't? This is the final false promise every despot has made to trick the masses into giving up their freedom in modern history. If the masses fall for it, their system collapses, all the fault of evil capitalist of course, and they people lose all their rights and become slaves. It's a catalyst tipping point through out history. It's why basic democracy fails. 51 percent vote the 49 percent as slaves. Then them collapse happens. Then the dictators step up, for your own good of course.

Andrew Russo 1 year, 9 months ago

"Now one must decide, do I go on welfare, or do I go to work to support those who won't?"

Go on welfare if it suits you....