Letter: Softball teams treated unfairly

I am writing this letter in concern of my daughter and all of the other little girls who played their little hearts out in the softball tournament in late June.

I honestly feel that all the girls who played ball for parks and recreation were treated unfairly and like dogs.

They played nine straight hours with no breaks.

How unfair is that when the boys baseball teams had a week-and-a-half to play their tournament?

And why have a tournament when someone decides to pull teams out of a hat instead of placing teams where they belong on a bracket?

First- and second-place teams never should have played each other first, and the second-worst team should not have had the bye.

Our kids, both girls and boys, have participated in parks and recreation leagues for years and if there was another organization to go through, I would because the kids don’t deserve to be treated like dogs.

I believe all kids should be treated equally.

Both age groups, 8 to 11 and 12 to 18, played ball until midnight.

How ridiculous is that?

Us parents don’t keep our kids up that late.

Our kids were exhausted for two days after the tournament.

We, as parents, pay good money to the city for our kids to play and be involved in sports, so maybe they should try and organize and keep things fair so our kids can enjoy the sports that they play.

Natasha Plantiko

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

cag81625 2 years, 1 month ago

Agreed. No better way to forever turn off an 8 year old to a sport than to turn it into some version of Lawrence's trek across the Nafud. It is supposed to be fun for the kids, not boot camp.

cory5611 2 years, 1 month ago

The city of Craig dose not thank of the kids like the fences behide the catcher is sticking out at most of the fields and Dave Pike new about it two years ago and said it would be fixed the next day and it did not get fixed intell this year for what we pay they need to have the fields in shape and make it fair for both baseball and softball

Jason Phillips 2 years, 1 month ago

How do you on one hand complain about it being too competitive? And then on the other hand complain about how the bracket was set up?

Sounds like complaining for the sake of complaining to me.

craigresident1987 2 years, 1 month ago

There was no bracket set up, the teams were pulled out of hats.

jamie felten 2 years, 1 month ago

I did not have a child play in this softball tournament. However, when I heard about the long & late hours these kids played I was appalled! As a parent you have every right to be upset.

firemed 2 years, 1 month ago

I am writing in regards to the softball tournament for the girls teams. I do not have a kid of my own in this league but i do have family in it. I was disgusted in parks and rec for how this tournament was set up. what happened to playing a two day tournament and starting in the morning not 3pm. Our team played 8 straight games with no breaks if they wanted to eat they had to take a bite as they are running up to bat or out into the field. RIDICULOUS these are little kids who need to stay hydrated. Our team never had a potty break to say the least the girls ran in between our last games to go potty and the umpire of which is in charge of the league was yelling at them to hurry up we have to get this finished. That is ridiculous. Some kids had accidents while out in the field cause they couldn't take a break again RIDICULOUS. These poor little 8- 11 year old girls could not even walk at the end of the night or for the next couple days. I agree with the post above good way to turn a kid away from a sport that is suppose to be fun lets run it to midnight instead of setting up a bracket for a two day tournament. These kids deserve two days for the money their parents put out for these sports. What does this money go to? I hope that next year they decide to change things up and have a two day tournament Saturday, Sunday or Friday, Saturday. Makes more sense to me. how about a lunch break that would have been helpful. how about a break in between games not 7 games in a row. How do you expect a 8-11 year old girl to play 7 games straight then go straight into the championship and expect them to even have a chance at winning when the other team had a 2 hour break hmmm wonder why the score was 23-2 again Ridiculous. The poor kids were probably to tired to even hold their eyes open. What 8 - 11 year old stays up until midnight. Let alone playing softball for 9 hours straight again RIDICULOUS. Parks and Rec Please rethink the way you set up the tournament before you turn away too many kids or cause a severe injury or illness. Kids get Dehydrated very easily especially while playing in the sun for extended hours and add running into that that has tripled your chances for a very sick kiddo.

Tammy Showalter 2 years, 1 month ago

I have girls who played and they were given an hour intermission. My friends daughter on another team also had an hour intermission. I can't speak for the others, but these two teams did have breaks that evening. I agree playing until midnight was ridiculous to me, but my kids didn't complain. As far as brackets or drawing from a hat, bottom line is it was double elimination...lose two games and you are out. I don't understand the remark about 1st and second place teams? My understanding was all games up to the tournament were practice. My kids were never told a score, it was all about learning and having fun. Perhaps Natasha could do a better job than parks and rec, but I certainly could not. Perhaps she should not participate in their program in the future.

Tasha 2 years, 1 month ago

Glad to here your child got a brake mine did not, maybe for you this was ok but i dont approve of it. My point is treat the girls with just as much respect as the boys team.They deserve it just as much.They play just as hard as them. Its just as competitive as any other sports.All i wanted is for my kids to have fun and enjoy what they do but how do you have fun when your sick from heat,dont get to eat,have blisters all over your feet,and dont get hardly enough time to potty.Wheres the fun in that.If it was my choice my kids would not play for parks and rec again. But they love it and I wont take it away from them.If it didnt get ruined for them....And maybe with some planning I could do it better...REALLY JUST A COUPLE OF DAYS WOULD HAVE MADE IT BETTER...