Patrick Germond: If tomorrow doesn’t come

photo

Courtesy Photo

Patrick Germond

A growing population of Americans believes our country may succumb to any number of possible disasters, either man-made or natural.

This sense of impending doom has created a new cultural phenomenon of people called “preppers.”

I’d like to give some attention to some aspects of preparation that are often overlooked.

Preppers store food, fuel, clothing, medicine and whatever else they may need in life in case the modern-day grid was to disappear.

Most preppers are normal people. A few probably live in your neighborhood.

Preppers come in varying degrees. Some go full on teotwawki, meaning the end of the world as we know it, but most just keep their freezers full and buy a little extra of this or that throughout the year.

Hopefully no disasters ever strike Craig, but if they should the most important thing to remember is one’s state of mind.

It’s critical to keep in mind we are all friends and neighbors.

Our sheriff, deputies, and police officers are among these friends and neighbors, and we can trust them.

This is an important point to remember, because if we can rely on each other in times of disaster and support our local law enforcement, we can keep mayhem from coming to our town.

I would encourage anyone who has feelings of anxiety over the future to not just store food and ammo, but to invest in your state of mind by getting to know your friends and neighbors, by getting involved in your community and strengthening ties between you and others.

Some of my favorite ways to do this are going to local community events, and attending my church on Sundays.

I’m going to try and add to my social network and outreach by attending the Bears Ears Patriots Tea Party meetings on the first Thursday of every month.

The Craig Daily Press has a community calendar that provides the dates and times of upcoming events and public meetings for anyone interested in attending local social events.

Our country and its principles were not founded on the ideas of a grid and mega-cities — the principles were ideally meant for people in small towns who had a deep sense of community.

The best way to prep for any future hardships would be to build a stronger sense of community and/or service to others.

Those may be the most important and non-perishable items we can attain.

The stronger we build our community ties, the easier our future will be.

If we add to that, an understanding of the Golden Rule and the principles of the Constitution and start practicing them now, then these divine principles will sustain us in any event at any time.

Some of you reading this may think this is a lot of pie in the sky, and three years ago I would have agreed.

I imagined more of a Mad Max-type world rather than small communities possessed of love and charity if and when the end ever came.

Then, I asked myself two questions.

If I’m going to meet my Lord and Savior sooner rather than later, in a world gone sideways, how do I want my final years, months and days to be represented?

Do I want them to be full of compassion and charity, or contention and selfishness?

These questions will do more to influence your present and long-term future than anything else.

The Golden Rule, and the principles of community, charity and loving one another wasn’t just meant for the end of the world, not by a long shot.

It’s the eternal laws of heaven given to us to live with our neighbors in the Kingdom of God.

Like the Founding Fathers believed, if we live these laws now, we can have much of, if not all the same blessings and happiness as if we were living.

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

The last line has "there now " left off the end. A typo that must have happen somewhere in the reprinting. Oh well

onewhocares 2 years, 2 months ago

Very well put Pat. In addition, compared to the masses, a lot of Moffat County residents have the huge advantage of knowing how to live off the land. When you are connected to the earth and know how to hunt/fish and gather plants for food & medicine, you don't have to "prep" per se, cause you are all ready mentally prepped which is half the battle. Everything we need, the earth provides as long as you know how "to see it." We should learn from the Native people that lived here for thousands of years prior to their genocide (without a single store) with standing unimaginable harsh weather and challenges of nature by simply being a part of it.

Regardless of what happens, I think it's time for people to understand their connection to the earth and always have faith that no matter what physically happens here, as long as your soul evolves and makes peace with God, nothing else matters. We are all going to pass sooner or later. (It just might sooner for a lot ) Time will only tell.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 2 months ago

The nomadic hunter-gatherer lifestyle practiced by those like the Native Americans requires one square mile per inhabitant. The entire land surface of the earth would be unable to sustain the population of California, living as the Native Americans did.

onewhocares 2 years, 2 months ago

Sadly & brutally honesty, I couldn't agree you with more Ranger520 or Brian. I just didn't want to say it. The harsh truth is our earth needs to do a huge purging of populations in order for the rest to be able to live healthily. Sadly, religions have encouraged humans to over populate regardless of effect to all, and science has slowed down the death rate considerably creating a huge, horrible unhealthy mess. it's harsh, but it is nature which as anyone that lives in nature knows-is merciless.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 2 months ago

"...our earth needs to do a huge purging of populations..."

Really? How, exactly?

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you everyone. I'm glad we can all talk together a visit back and forth.

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

Hahaha. Lol. I read that whole thing before I remembered that it was the Onion news, the fake comedy news organization. That was hilarious.

onewhocares 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm hoping the earth will figure out a quick way and fairly soon. I'd rather have the earth do a quick purging vs. on - going years of starvation for billions of people and unimaginable suffering from disease, such as cancer caused by the multitudes of carcinogens in our food, air and water. I'd also rather have the earth do it before a government or dictator takes on the horrifying role for the reason of population control and targeting only certain races. And yes, I'd be willing to go in a second if it meant a better place for my kids and the young ones. I have never put myself or my loved ones above the natural way and have zero fear of leaving physically.

onewhocares 2 years, 2 months ago

P.S. Pat, please know I truly respect you even if I may say something that differs with you at times. In 2001. you were wonderful to me and we shared lots of time talking & shooting in firearms training. (smile) And don't think I don't remember how totally amazing of a shot you were, in fact I joke that you are the reason I am so good myself.(smiling) Keep on writing Mr. Germond.

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you, I like your post. I think you may have a good point about the population. I think we have, or are soon reaching a point where our social muchurity level is dangerously below our population levels. So I think the laws of God, or the laws of nature, which ever school you are a student of, will cause a choke point where there will be a huge die off. Im pretty sure I know who you are. I hope life is treating you well my friend. Take care