Man on the Street: The public’s view on the State of the Union address

photo

Aletha Dove

Name: Aletha Dove

Age: 59

Hometown: Craig

What was your opinion of Tuesday’s State of the Union address by President Barack Obama?

“He reminded me of what he has done and what he has been able to get through. If he did everything he said, then as a country, we would start improving. I also think he was right about the taxes and that people who make millions should have to pay their fair share.”

What are your thoughts on the Obama administration overall?

“They can’t take care of everyone and shouldn’t have to. Trying to hinders them from actively helping some.”

photo

Robert Meckley

Name: Robert Meckley

Age: 67

Hometown: Craig

“He made some good points and brought up some good issues and if he is able to go through with all of them, our country will be in good shape. But, there are a lot of issues.”

What are your thoughts on the Obama administration overall?

“It all sucks. The politicians are all about lining their own pockets and don’t care about the small people, the middle class or the small businesses. They only want to make money.”

photo

Chris Muzik

Name: Chris Muzik

Age: 56

Hometown: Craig

“I just can’t believe the things he says until I see it. He talked about a lot of ideas that could be, but until I see it, I don’t think anything is going to happen.”

photo

Daniel Wright

Name: Daniel Wright

Age: 60+

Hometown: Craig

Why did you decide not to watch Tuesday’s State of the Union address by President Barack Obama?

“The political farce turns me off. It was the beginning of a re-election campaign (by Obama) and my participation, or lack thereof, was a statement of my protest.”

What are your thoughts on the Obama administration overall?

“I think they are liars and thieves. It is more about the individual and not a government of the people, by the people and for the people.”

photo

Sindey Wright

Name: Sindey Wright

Age: 57

Hometown: Hayden

“I think he is a very good speaker and he has a lot of good ideas. But, I think no matter who the president is, if the legislators don’t work together, nothing will get accomplished. The president is only one man, who has a lot of power, but the legislators have the power of getting him the bills.”

What are your thoughts on the Obama administration overall?

“It is pretty crumby. They can’t put aside any individual priorities, so it makes it tough to work for the country.”

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

valleylocal 2 years, 2 months ago

ranger520, Just because someone doesn't have the same opinion or voted differently than you, doesn't give you any right to insult. You're welcome to state your opinion, but please don't hurl insults or derogatory remarkes to other people with different opinions!

Cole White 2 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone seriously, I mean seriously think Obama has done a worse job than George W.?

Ray Cartwright 2 years, 2 months ago

This pie chart says differently ranger520, but you wouldn't believe it anyway. According to flag etiquette unless you are or were in the military you should put your hand over your heart and not salute it.

TiredofSSDD 2 years, 2 months ago

I have witnessed President Obama hold his hand over his heart on TV to honor the Flag. And by God, , there are so many others who don't take off their cowboy or caps, or even put a hand near their heart when the Flag goes by, which you can see here in Craig and on TV. I voted for people to serve, but I have never voted for a lobbyist, and they appear to be making the laws, and darn well taking care of themselves in the process.

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

The national dept has went up 43percent in the past three years.

As far as regulation goes, the government has truly out done itself too in the past three years. They have taken control of the simple things we do and made them complicated and expensive. The results have and are predictably clear, 1.7 percent growth.

Let's take a vote, who thinks the answer for this problem is sending the federal government more money.

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

Wait, I forgot the far lefts campaign chant. Four more years, four more years.

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

Hay Ranger, it sounds like you don't think our current ruling parties decision to govern for the past three years without a budget, impresses you much?

TiredofSSDD 2 years, 2 months ago

Congress hasn't done a darn thing to help the middle class and they won't do anything in 2012. I blame them for failure to achieve anything for the past two years. I think the current Speaker of the House needs to get his priorities straight -- along with Senator Harry Reid, it is time to voters to start growing some brass ones, and tell these elected people to start doing their jobs. I am still mad at the Supreme Court for allowing corporations, including foreign ones to be allowed to donate to campaigns. I am so ready for change!

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

Hay, SSDD, I think the speaker of the house and his tea party buddies are doing what their suppose to be doing. If, I recal we had a massive voter uprising and wave election. It was meant to put a stop to the government take over of our lives and massive spending. It's the democrats that are going against the voter mandates and message of our last election. I don't know why your worried about free speech, Obama is going to be a billion dollar politician. The unions forcebly take money from all workers under their thumb, which represents the workers free speech, and buy influence from only one party. That sounds illegal to me. Some company advertising with all the other thousands of companies doesn't really bother me. GM union pay off with tax payers money bothers me.

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

That's bs and so wrong ranger. So your saying the only people that can or should work at a union are people who have to give up their free speech (by way of money) in order to work at that place. Discrimination!!!!!

Is that what you fought for, unions to take free speech away? Not me, I don't go for it when Obama and the left try and suppress free speech or when unions do it. I like unions for the most part, but me and many union members hate that aspect. And to be honest I don't know a way to fix it without breaking all unions, and I am not for that so it just sucks. It would be nice if all unions and their leadership would rain themselves in. Then all, all Americans could support them.

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

One more thing Ranger that makes that a bs argument. Isn't it all unions who cry foul when an evil greedy corporation says " if you don't like it you don't have to work here." ?

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

Re read I mean, my spell check fixes things I had right the first time.

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

Ranger or maybe it's Rick, I am very pro union. I am against them taking everyone money and basically buying a political party. A party that I am at increasingly at odds with. I wish they didn't do that so every one could support unions.
Also I am sorry for getting a little testy this morning. I could have made my points while being a little more considerate. Take care and have a good evening.

davidbowieonwheels 2 years, 2 months ago

Probably because you're such an idiot and you constantly troll this board to try to get a rise out of people.

Patrick Germond 2 years, 2 months ago

Ya, Mr. Bowie I kind of do now. Since I write for the press I thought I should be a little more involved. How does that make you feel?

westslopeguy 2 years, 2 months ago

Ranger: You're comments are too ignorant to respond to. I thank god, (lower case 'g' intentional), daily that you are only one man and one-third of one-hundred-millionth of a vote in what you think of as a democracy.